Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
News:

Views:
Which game is going to be another insane upset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Refs and Bears still bad

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is like as blatant as it gets from the referees

https://twitter.com/willbrinson/status/1457923360545988613

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, I've noticed a pattern that every time I get optimistic the Jags crush my hopes, and also when I am the most pissed at them they get a win out of nowhere. So I'm going to say that there's no way the Jaguars are going to pull an upset against the Colts. It's impossible. gently caress Urban Meyer.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Android Apocalypse posted:

News:

Views:

Ravens are a threat to lose any game. Don't think we'll lose to the Dolphins, but it's probably more likely than people think.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, is it even an upset if Mike White starts? J-E-T-S baby

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll root for the Jags as that means anti-vaxxer Carson Wentz loses.

Also rooting for the Seahawks to beat the Packers. May nanobubbles be proven to be more effective than eating clay & Ivermectin!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

The 'bump' wasn't the penalty, not that it makes anything any better about that stupid penalty call.

Screw the Maras.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

I'll root for the Jags as that means anti-vaxxer Carson Wentz loses.

Also rooting for the Seahawks to beat the Packers. May nanobubbles be proven to be more effective than eating clay & Ivermectin!

I always am pro Seahawks, but openly vaccinated dork Russell Wilson making his return and passing to commercial vaccine advocate Tyler Lockett and beating the Packers would be awesome. ...And then I want Jamal Adams to pick off a Throw Rogan pass and talk about how he feels dirty.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I am now thoroughly convinced that the Bills are extreme frauds. Blood for the Blood Gods, hope is a lie:unsmigghh:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Brady in his weekly podcast tonight spent 20 minutes basically saying that the NFL Players Union sucks, the owners keep steamrolling over them, and the fact that they’re being forced to play a 17th game just proves they’re all just interchangeable commodities and every negotiate comes down to the owners saying “take it or leave it we can hold out longer than you” which is only made stronger because the owners collude with eachother to keep their books and profits closed even to the players and coaches.

So that was interesting.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Brady in his weekly podcast tonight spent 20 minutes basically saying that the NFL Players Union sucks, the owners keep steamrolling over them, and the fact that they’re being forced to play a 17th game just proves they’re all just interchangeable commodities and every negotiate comes down to the owners saying “take it or leave it we can hold out longer than you” which is only made stronger because the owners collude with eachother to keep their books and profits closed even to the players and coaches.

So that was interesting.

I don’t think anyone needed to hear this from Tom Brady to know it was true.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think anyone needed to hear this from Tom Brady to know it was true.

Yeah but the franchise QB is the closest thing to management among players.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress da refs

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So that was interesting.
https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/new-england-patriots/tom-brady-reacts-to-the-nfls-new-cba
There’s a new NFL collective bargaining agreement, which will ensure we have football on Sundays for the next 10 years. Though judging by the narrow margin by which it passed, not everyone is happy about the terms.

However, Patriots quarterback (perhaps soon-to-be ex-quarterback) Tom Brady appears to have been among the 1,019 “Yes” votes this past week. Taking to Twitter on Sunday, Brady congratulated NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith for a job well done. “Well done De,” Brady wrote in response to Smith’s open letter on Twitter.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2881044-tom-brady-nfl-players-react-to-vote-approving-new-cba-with-17-game-schedule
The NFL Players Association announced it voted in favor of the proposed collective bargaining agreement Sunday, but a close vote of 1,019 to 959 created mixed reaction around the league.

"We are pleased that the players have voted to ratify the proposed new CBA, which will provide substantial benefits to current and retired players, increase jobs and ensure continued progress on player safety, and give our fans more and better football," Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

NFLPA president JC Tretter released a statement calling on players to "unite and move forward" together:

Tom Brady responded to an open letter from DeMaurice Smith, the head of the NFLPA, telling him "well done" on getting the deal completed.

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1239193388035059712?s=20

:hmmwrong:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sounds like an expert politician then, get ready for President Brady. He’ll have The Rock to balance the ticket.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
TB12 being the face of the players revolution while Aaron Rodgers shills horse paste is proof of parallel universes.

Someone check to see if it's the Berenstain Bears again :tinfoil:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I will never understand why they didn't push for a 19th week. Gives each team 2 byes and an additional week of TV to sell the networks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I will never understand why they didn't push for a 19th week. Gives each team 2 byes and an additional week of TV to sell the networks.

I’ve asked this word for word now for 2 years and no one can seem to figure out a rational explanation as to why they don’t do it. Are they that worried to go into late February because of some seasonal drop in ratings?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve asked this word for word now for 2 years and no one can seem to figure out a rational explanation as to why they don’t do it. Are they that worried to go into late February because of some seasonal drop in ratings?

Couldn't they just start a week earlier too? I'm sure there is some reason for it but I feel like it's another week of televised football to sell, you have healthier players, and the extra bye week allows you to be more flexible when teams play in London or on Thursday.

They did try the 2 bye week thing in the early 90's which maybe is scaring them off. But now with fantasy football and sports betting, you have so many more reasons to watch football when your team isn't playing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Couldn't they just start a week earlier too? I'm sure there is some reason for it but I feel like it's another week of televised football to sell, you have healthier players, and the extra bye week allows you to be more flexible when teams play in London or on Thursday.

They did try the 2 bye week thing in the early 90's which maybe is scaring them off. But now with fantasy football and sports betting, you have so many more reasons to watch football when your team isn't playing.

Not wanting to start in August is 100% a ratings thing, especially in that last weekend where tons of people are going to be trying their best to squeeze out their final chance of getting out of the house before school starts back up everywhere. That’s why preseason games are all on weeknights.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Saving that 2nd bye week as the carrot for when they push for an 18 20-game schedule

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I assure you that brady's dismay is only because he wants the cap gone so he can get his true market value as a fiscally responsible libertarian.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It's because the owners know the players would prefer a second bye week and the owners will never give the players anything they want without getting something back

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

It's because the owners know the players would prefer a second bye week and the owners will never give the players anything they want without getting something back

But the NFL cares about player safety?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Didn’t see the game but this is horse poo poo. He had his hand on the flag but wasn’t actively pulling it for anything. He didn’t start pulling it til the bump. gently caress that ref.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Didn’t see the game but this is horse poo poo. He had his hand on the flag but wasn’t actively pulling it for anything. He didn’t start pulling it til the bump. gently caress that ref.

The flag was for taunting and I don't think had anything to do with the bump.

But if you saw what the "taunting" was, you'd be even more incensed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Flag was for too many tattoos

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they aren't even flags. it's a little weighted yellow ghost doll

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've been pounding the table that the easiest fix is to put a limit of 16 games a player can be active. It will lead to hilarious chess-moving the last four weeks of the season

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

GD_American posted:

I've been pounding the table that the easiest fix is to put a limit of 16 games a player can be active. It will lead to hilarious chess-moving the last four weeks of the season

Imagine the Lions roster.

Imagine the Lions roster if the starters get benched.

Here be dragons.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
Officiating was really bad in that Bears game. Ben getting calls for his own guard getting shoved into him, but Fields can't get a call after a guy takes two steps and slams him to the turf. Really incorrect chop block call to NEGATE A SCORE.

What did the Bears do to deserve this? I mean, it was clearly against them all night to my eyes, and I'm not a fan of either team by any stretch of the imagination.

I like to see a fair game though. If that game had been called fairly the Bears would have won. I hope we hear more about this because that crew sucks real bad.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The refs doing a bad job is gonna be a big scandal soon

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It already is

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The taunting call coulda helped the bears since all it really did in the end was bleed clock

But the Bears still scored too fast, even their touchdowns are cursed. The 65 yard attempt was a head scratcher though, you gotta know your guy’s range

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

wyoak posted:

The taunting call coulda helped the bears since all it really did in the end was bleed clock

But the Bears still scored too fast, even their touchdowns are cursed. The 65 yard attempt was a head scratcher though, you gotta know your guy’s range

It was as close as humanly possible without actually going over the crossbar. The most Bears way to lose, just rip the heart right out

Larch posted:

Officiating was really bad in that Bears game. Ben getting calls for his own guard getting shoved into him, but Fields can't get a call after a guy takes two steps and slams him to the turf. Really incorrect chop block call to NEGATE A SCORE.

Yeah, these are arguably worse than the taunting call

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/WillBlackmon/status/1457915020520554498

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Intruder posted:

It was as close as humanly possible without actually going over the crossbar. The most Bears way to lose, just rip the heart right out

Didn't it land in the middle of the end zone and wasn't even close?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

It looked that way from the live angle, but ESPN showed a replay from a different camera and it actually ended up like ten yards short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

wandler20 posted:

Didn't it land in the middle of the end zone and wasn't even close?
It hit the crossbar

E: or not?