Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rip you cookie guzzling wife beater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uwe boll we're onto you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tane

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Street Soldier posted:

Some of you people are really sick in the head, by the way.

tane

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm so sorry LadyAmbien. Lowtax was a piece of poo poo right to the end. You deserve happiness, and I hope you and the kids find it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah I've gone from mockery to anger. gently caress you, Lowtax, burn in hell.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

modeski posted:

Speaking of old fuckers coming out of the woodwork, is GBS still a shadow of its former self? I vaguely recall this place got overrun with the sort of pink-haired randos who'd picket a Dave Chapelle gig and drove lots of people away.

some of you should stay gone tbh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tokit posted:

I haven't been here in awhile but I'm genuinely baffled at how this poo poo posting idiot named CLAM DOWN I put on block years ago is now a moderator.

dude is still being a loving idiot in 2021 :shrug:

should answer your question about the quality of the forums these days

lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Posting about putting people on ignore is always a pretty weird self-own but posting a screenshot to prove you have them on ignore is by far my favorite :discourse:

Like by all means use the ignore function if it helps you not-engage with idiots, or don't, whatever, but posting about it is just the dumbest poo poo

he's mad I probated him for 1 day earlier this year when I used to be a mod lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

NEVER A DULL MOMENT ON THE SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lmao this loving thread

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

there's too much cum in this thread, i've decided

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

someone change their username to Lowtax Cumshot

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

calm the gently caress down and dont be a cum cop buddy

fine i've changed my mind i'm pro cum

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

remember the low carb thread lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Is this NOT the low-carb gay forum? lol, wtf

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGJhAyoF9-I

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hard counter posted:

This is a real bad situation, pure and simple. I’ve always taken the view that the best way forwards when someone has committed grave misdeeds is to hope that, over the course their life, they will eventually grow up after facing suitable consequences for their actions. It takes introspection, sobering up to the effects their actions had on others, repenting of it, rejecting the old way of living that caused it, and finally the humbling of oneself before the people who’ve suffered to ask for their forgiveness to try and start repaying the debt owed. Richard definitely owed a lot to his family. We all go down this path in one form or another because we all let people down eventually, albeit in lesser ways. It’s an important road to walk because over time it'll lean us towards becoming the best versions of ourselves, while also letting us reject the bad. Some of us, like Richard, have bad versions of ourselves that are so awful the journey to fix things becomes even more critical to the people around us.

Forgiveness is never owed back though, and some things can never get fully fixed, but it’s important that someone admits their guilt to the people they hurt because it will help the healing process. Maybe those that suffered will just spit in the accused’s face when they’re on their knees, who knows, but when things play out this way everyone gets a fair chance to move on and be better than they were before.

It’s extremely sad for everyone involved to see someone’s journey go unfinished like this, when in some kinder, parallel world they could’ve done things differently. Growing as a person is something everyone, everyone full stop, in their right mind inevitably does. It’s also very depressing to see such huge debts go unpaid when they're squelched like this.

The forums have always had this one-sided view of Richard. In the early 2000s he was seen as a fresh, young pioneer and entrepreneur. He was quite funny to people who were craving edgy and unpolished humour, especially the kind you wouldn’t find on mainstream platforms, and he became highly influential in this community and on other niche parts of the internet for some of the early trails he blazed. Crass, uncaring jokes on this new media made use of novel formats and modern dispersal mechanisms to do things that’d never been done before and Richard was in the right place at the right time to get in on it. Being naturally ironic and socially disengaged helped him with perpetuating the new humour. Nobody ever thought Richard was some kind of Da Vinci, but he was seen as a popular figurehead for some of the weirder parts of the web, and that gave him some status as the internet’s weird uncle who smells funny but tells rowdy jokes.

Somewhere along the way things went bad. Real, real bad. Success brought in opportunities that were squandered one by one. Part of the new money coming in helped fuel personal addictions so severe Richard definitely did not seem like a man in the right mind for huge swathes of time. Over the years the pills, booze and whatever else Richard engaged in became infamous on the forums...first as jokes but later as subjects of anonymous concern. Pics of him crashed out on the company office’s furniture floated around. He also became negligent, belligerent and deceptive. We, as a community, tolerated this spiral for a time. His natural social disengagement was absolutely authentic and one thing he also never lied about was wanting to live carefree so all this was completely on-brand for him, if still disappointing. It was hard to tell him he was wrong. He eventually got into a kind of paralysis where he felt like he couldn’t do anything for the website anymore because there were always some kind of criticisms no matter what he did. The man hated criticism and avoided it with even more absenteeism. Things got worse when he started developing the kind of health problems he had in middle-age where self-medication into numb oblivion became even more tantalizing. But self-sedation like this only clouds your mind even more. For a while he probably lived in the quiet darkness of his old reputation’s shadow, content to let it coast him along in life. His interactions with staff and the forums became one-sided, and he expected others to do all the work for him with next to nothing in return. He was hurting people, but it wasn’t serious... until it was.

Eventually he hurt his own family, in utterly reprehensible ways, and the forums found out. That was enough for everyone. That’s the disgraced Richard the forums know today. As outsiders we’d seen the transformation of Rich into the absolute worst version of himself and that’s what’s been put under the spotlight. Even the kind of jokes he used to tell seem like uncomfortable anachronisms now. I don’t know what kind of substances Richard was on when he ended his life, or if a lifetime of substance abuse already took its toll by then, but these are not, and have never been, the actions of a man in a clear state of mind.

Going by the OP’s eulogy, LA’s posts and the other anecdotes posted ITT the real Richard was neither of these one-dimensional descriptions and I pray the family he leaves behind learns the wisdom needed to navigate the complicated legacy he leaves behind. His young children especially. The real truth behind the man belongs to them now. I wish he could’ve grown into being more of the best version of himself that his loved ones, and the internet, saw glimpses long ago of but that’s not a world you’ll often see when someone is dealing with a tag-team of their own personal demons, severe addiction and health turmoil all ganging up on them at once. Especially when they self-isolate.

Any goon who actually bothered to read this should make a point of making mental health a top priority, full stop. There are all sorts of professionals who’ll help you with whatever’s troubling you, whether it’s needing the aid of marriage counsellors, anger management classes, rehabilitation clinics, therapists/psychologists or even churches if that’s your thing. There are people out there who are willing to help you if you look in the right places. Suicide is never the answer. For heaven’s sake call the suicide hotline if that’s something you’re dealing with right now. If Richard had taken his mental health more seriously earlier on, every single bit of this awful situation could have been avoided.

Richard left behind an immense personal debt to his family and I am incredibly proud of the forums for shouldering part of the financial element of the debt with the Go Fund Me. Everyone needs to have a look at the work that’s being done there. Richard may have developed the forums, but it’s the users that have made it so great.

tane

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rip lowtax, the real throat goat

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

It literally takes me 7 lightyears to fall asleep does anyone have any tips on falling asleep faster

think about cum

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anyone else hungry for some sausages atm?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not Futa Snake posted:

buy me platinum so i can? hit me up on twitter? rather not post things that might not just be cum lube or yogurt on my friends memorial

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

what the hell is happening lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

Do you not attend wakes with the intention of hooking up?

i will not cum on ANYONE in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007