Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
In light of the news of this site's founder passing away, share your favourite memories, events and controversies of Rich Kyanka. One of the more humourous and absurd things in my opinion was the Mangosteen drama, which the faithful SAClopedia helpfully summarises

quote:

Mangosteen is a type of fruit drink, originating in China.

One day Lowtax made a thread in GBS. This thread was about his recently acquired fondness for mangosteen drinks. In addition to his own praise, he included a link to his favorite brand on Amazon so that interested parties could try it out themselves. He used an affiliate link to do this- meaning that if anyone actually did buy the drink after visiting Amazon, Lowtax would receive a small commission.

As the thread went on, it gradually became polluted with more and more posts from users noticing this fact and trying to derail the thread with accusations that Lowtax was exploiting the forum for some extra cash (it should be pointed out that affiliate links are an extremely common practice and the fact that SA has an Amazon affiliate account has never been a secret and has been true for a long time). This began to overpower the actual discussion of health drinks, so Lowtax deleted the contents of his originating post and closed the thread with the following:

quote:
SO DONT loving BUY IT, DONT loving DRINK IT, DONT loving CLICK MY LINKS.

I mean Christ, all I did was make this thread to support a product which actually pleasantly surprised me, and folks are voting this thread "crap" and suggesting I'm scamming them. I've said repeatedly that this was just my experience and in no way should indicate how everybody else will feel. I've said the links to Amazon were referrals, so I'm not trying to hide anything. I've-

ahh gently caress it, I'm closing this thread, gently caress you and gently caress GBS, I can never post a single goddamn thread in here without you faggots making GBS threads it up in some way or another. I should've learned my lesson long ago and never left the intelligent, rational forum where I don't have to deal with clueless idiots and morons like you people. I'm going back to FYAD and staying there, since it has a microscopic fraction of the retards and trolls populating GBS.

I guess that should strike me as being ironic, but it's more sad to me than anything. Thanks for running me out of my own goddamn forum.

Ever since then, discussion of mangosteen has been verboten. If it's used today, it's a catchphrase that essentially translates to "I disapprove of the for-profit nature of the forums", and is bannable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Wizard Master posted:

I gently caress roadkill

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
my favourite memory of lowtax was formed today

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
selling acct with full rune and lowtax liveban $50k

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

some plague rats posted:

Welp, we can close the thread now

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

some plague rats posted:

:hmmyes:

My other favorite memory was him banning the OP.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In memoriam, can we just rewrite everything on the internet to say goatse guy founded SA?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
When he stopped posting for a good few years.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I have to give Lowtax credit for killing Lowtax

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

some plague rats posted:

:same:

My second favorite memory was when he blocked me on Twitter for saying "Sounds like you're an abusive person and shouldn't have contact with your kid" when he posted a Twitter rant about how his ex is a bitch and he just grounded his kid for telling him that he was being too mean about the kid's mom.

gently caress Lowtax, may he rest in piss forever.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pusherbot and Shoverbot will forever be one of the foundational elements of my sense of humor (as most of those ICQ pranks were back in highschool).

He was a man. Take him for all in all. We shall not look upon his like again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DandyLion posted:

Pusherbot and Shoverbot will forever be one of the foundational elements of my sense of humor (as most of those ICQ pranks were back in highschool).

He was a man. Take him for all in all. We shall not look upon his like again.

You could literally go anywhere in the Continental United States and encounter another man exactly like him as soon as you find any given white man complaining about any mild inconvenience as if it was the end of the loving world.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

biracial bear for uncut posted:

You could literally go anywhere in the Continental United States and encounter another man exactly like him as soon as you find any given white man complaining about any mild inconvenience as if it was the end of the loving world.

Yes but how many of them created something awful?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DandyLion posted:

Yes but how many of them created something awful?

Literally every single one when they go on social media and post their opinions in the defense of Kyle Rittenhouse.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Literally every single one when they go on social media and post their opinions in the defense of Kyle Rittenhouse.

Now do figuratively.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DandyLion posted:

Now do figuratively.

I did, you didn't use the proper noun to indicate the site.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I did, you didn't use the proper noun to indicate the site.

What kind of a madman makes a figurative statement that starts with Literally!?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DandyLion posted:

What kind of a madman makes a figurative statement that starts with Literally!?

That statement wasn't figurative.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

That statement wasn't figurative.

So literally metaphorical?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DandyLion posted:

So literally metaphorical?

Nope. Did you read it or are you just hung up on trying to pull a "gotcha" over the use of the word "Literally" in a way that is actually correct?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Nope. Did you read it or are you just hung up on trying to pull a "gotcha" over the use of the word "Literally" in a way that is actually correct?

Just trying to find the metaphor you said you used.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

When he hosed off for good.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DandyLion posted:

Just trying to find the metaphor you said you used.

You may want to re-read this weirdo bullshit argument you started because I'm not the one that said anything about a metaphor.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

You may want to re-read this weirdo bullshit argument you started because I'm not the one that said anything about a metaphor.

I thought Figuratively was synonymous with Metaphorically.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

When he restored FYAD and they clowned on him in response.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

I’m not sure what his race has to do with anything, but go off I guess?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wizard Master posted:

I’m not sure what his race has to do with anything, but go off I guess?

Haven't been watching the news much in the last two years, have you?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Christ shut the gently caress up cereal guy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Epic guy posting more than anyone else in the thread to explain that laughing at the terrible secret of space in 2002 means you stan Kyle Rittenhouse

ed: My favorite Lowtax memory is when I lived about half an hour from Lee's Summit and didn't pick up any of the junk Rich was clearing out of the strip mall office but thought about doing it.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Nov 11, 2021

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DandyLion posted:

I thought Figuratively was synonymous with Metaphorically.

there is a slight difference that is very important

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lol that Caro outlived Lowtax, :laffo: even

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

I can't take much more of this oppression

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Oh holy poo poo that's right

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I remembered Lowtax's opinion on Bourdain's suicide.

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
he was my friend i have so many good memories

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Am I the only one who wishes they could time travel just to tell your younger self all the wild crap of the last few years and watch them get incredulous?

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Samovar posted:

When I remembered Lowtax's opinion on Bourdain's suicide.

Which was...?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

sugar mouse posted:

Which was...?

Something about how only a coward would choose to commit suicide leaving a daughter behind.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Remember the time Rich made a bot that automatically filled the first post of every thread with an advert, and then had a colossal meltdown + banning spree when nobody liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Remember when Lowtax was considered the protagonist of this image? Ah, the bad old days.

Also lol he was thin once.