Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Brown is great at getting open on deep developing routes but the guy I want Lamar to lob deep passes to when pressure gets in his face is Rashod Bateman. He's the guy that will make contested catches and draw DPIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Why didn't the Ravens call some screens or dump passes to burn that heavy blitzing? It seems like something that most OCs would have easily adjusted to.

Does Lamar struggle with those quick short throws?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why didn't the Ravens call some screens

Oh boy do I have some news for you...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They called a lot of screens.

The Dolphins didn't just blitz al those guys on those plays, they'd just muddle up the LOS, swamping the Ravens' running game and flying to the ball when he'd try to throw those no blocker screens.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I see other teams copying that until doesn't work anymore

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kalli posted:

They called a lot of screens.

The Dolphins didn't just blitz al those guys on those plays, they'd just muddle up the LOS, swamping the Ravens' running game and flying to the ball when he'd try to throw those no blocker screens.

the hot read being a bunch of bubble screens was awful lol. especially when jackson, very weirdly, throws absolutely dogshit screen passes. i have no idea why they didn't attack the middle more

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

D-LINK posted:

I mean for an entire game the Ravens didn’t adjust so like yeah until they show they can do something else keep doing it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Borsche69 posted:

the hot read being a bunch of bubble screens was awful lol. especially when jackson, very weirdly, throws absolutely dogshit screen passes. i have no idea why they didn't attack the middle more

The Dolphins did a good job dropping back their coverage unit to clog the middle of the field then rallying to the ball when the screen passes came. Most likely this weakness is a nice little combination of not being able to run and having no good release valve in the passing game thanks to all the RB and OL injuries. The real concerning thing is the Ravens weren't able to beat them with deep passes in the face of that pressure. Hollywood and Watkins in theory should eat well constantly matched up one on one. Both had a bad game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Borsche69 posted:

I don't know if this is accurate or not but I feel like a lot of Lamar's short passes take WAY too long to get where they need to due to the arc from his throwing motion. I can remember one out route to Brown that should have been an easy completion that seemed to hang in the air way too long and let the defender make a play.

I think some of the weirdness can be attributed to the lovely position of being the thurs night road team with very little time to prepare for the game. But not all of it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Dolphins did a good job dropping back their coverage unit to clog the middle of the field then rallying to the ball when the screen passes came. Most likely this weakness is a nice little combination of not being able to run and having no good release valve in the passing game thanks to all the RB and OL injuries. The real concerning thing is the Ravens weren't able to beat them with deep passes in the face of that pressure. Hollywood and Watkins in theory should eat well constantly matched up one on one. Both had a bad game.

True. I think Bell could add a little something to the dump off routes by virtue of his soft hands but he's probably not really fast enough to actually leak out quick and find space.

Kawalimus posted:

I don't know if this is accurate or not but I feel like a lot of Lamar's short passes take WAY too long to get where they need to due to the arc from his throwing motion. I can remember one out route to Brown that should have been an easy completion that seemed to hang in the air way too long and let the defender make a play.

I think some of the weirdness can be attributed to the lovely position of being the thurs night road team with very little time to prepare for the game. But not all of it.

Nah I noticed the same thing. Its weird given how strong his arm is - his 10-15 yard passes have so much zip on them, and then the stuff at the LoS feels like he's trying to finesse it too much.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does Lamar struggle with throws?

Why yes, it appears so!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

D-LINK posted:

It's like how the Rams called the same pass play like ten times against the Seahawks because they couldn't stop it. The "stop hitting yourself" principle.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
This year defenses are really loving up offenses. KC and Buffalo are going from like having their heads in the clouds to like having existential crises the last few weeks.

Baltimore just you know can't run the ball anymore. Tennessee loses to Zach Wilson.
The AFC is a hot mess but in mostly a good way.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

It happened to Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan last year too.

I don't think it's fair to call it a lack of adjustment either. They did the kind of stuff that you'd use to try and beat these kind of looks. The Ravens ran a bunch of screens, but they couldn't get them blocked up very well. They tried to hit their hot routes, but the Dolphins had that bottled up pretty well by the guys who were dropping off of the LOS when it wasn't really cover-0.

The Ravens best choice was probably to try and let Jackson to extend the play to get the pass off(and that almost worked the first time they saw the look when Watkins got spooked by the goalpost or whatever), but the Dolphins were pretty clever on that in that they kept lining up with safeties as their widest potential rushers in the look and had them doing disciplined containment rushes.

D-LINK posted:

I don't think it's that easy to do, it's not just mugging the LOS and sending a bunch of them with man coverage behind it. There's a lot of stuff built into these kind of plays to make sure whatever the offense does in terms of blocking is "wrong"- on some of these plays every single guy on the LOS is making reads to figure out who is rushing and who is dropping based on who the OL blocks. Look at this:

https://twitter.com/VBSofficial_/status/1459184994816073730

You gotta be able to survive weird poo poo like this- you end up rushing two safeties, a LB, and an OLB, while dropping a DE, DT, and OLB. You need to do a good job teaching guys who don't rush to rush, and guys who don't cover to cover, which is more something you spend the off-season doing than installing during the leadup to a game.

I think it's worth noting that this is Belichick's stuff ultimately, and he really hasn't had the same success with it that Flores has had- and I think that's basically a personnel thing. A lot of this stuff is running of getting success out of like, 220 pound linebackers or safeties being very good at blitzing.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 13, 2021

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

In my limited football knowledge you beat this zero blitz stuff by either throwing to the hot or to screens, or you go max protect and throw posts and deep crosses until they do something different. I guess the Ravens picked the wrong thing to do

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chucktesla posted:

In my limited football knowledge you beat this zero blitz stuff by either throwing to the hot or to screens, or you go max protect and throw posts and deep crosses until they do something different. I guess the Ravens picked the wrong thing to do

It's a cover zero look but like Hamhandler mentioned it wasn't actually cover zero most of the time. They were rushing four and playing coverage a lot, just not coverage that either Lamar or the Ravens staff figured out last night.

It's a bad job by the Ravens either way of course, but it's not exactly one to one with the old 'do this when you see look this pre-snap,' they got a little crazy with the schemes. The Ravens didn't figure things out fast enough, they got a little going at the end but it was too late by then.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't remember a single instance where they rushed only four. I'm interested in seeing the end zone footage because I swear to God every time I counted the rushers there were at least 6. you could set your watch to an unblocked DB screaming in from the edge.

Hamhandler posted:

You gotta be able to survive weird poo poo like this- you end up rushing two safeties, a LB, and an OLB, while dropping a DE, DT, and OLB. You need to do a good job teaching guys who don't rush to rush, and guys who don't cover to cover, which is more something you spend the off-season doing than installing during the leadup to a game.

you know who does this a lot? some coach named Wink Martindale. so it's not like the Ravens aren't familiar with it. man that's frustrating.

maybe Miami is just not the defense you want to run into on a short week with not much time to plan or practice, but I still would have liked to have seen better adjustments once they saw the kind of poo poo they were doing

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 13, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've always said, since the mid-way point in my life so far where i changed my opinion, that halftime adjustments are not real

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Turns out lamar sucks and can't throw ball checkmate athiests

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

AndrewP posted:

I don't remember a single instance where they rushed only four. I'm interested in seeing the end zone footage because I swear to God every time I counted the rushers there were at least 6. you could set your watch to an unblocked DB screaming in from the edge.

You're not going to block your way out of it. Roman tried a lot of stuff to do it- the video clip is Patrick Ricard/Le'Veon Bell max protect, there were some 2-TE shotgun looks, etc. At the end of the day blocking more guys means you're inviting more rushers to green dog blitz, and they can still bring more than you can block. IMO the correct answer is really what the Ravens ended up doing- block inside out, and have your QB negate a predictable outside rusher and make enough plays they back off of the look.

IMO if you want to oversimplify that game, it's Lamar Jackson vs. Jevon Holland and the latter winning decisively.

AndrewP posted:

you know who does this a lot? some coach named Wink Martindale. so it's not like the Ravens aren't familiar with it. man that's frustrating.

maybe Miami is just not the defense you want to run into on a short week with not much time to plan or practice, but I still would have liked to have seen better adjustments once they saw the kind of poo poo they were doing

I think they made reasonable adjustments, it's just it didn't help- the Ravens didn't get a good performance from their players, and Jackson ended up shook pretty early on.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

80% of this thread is a dude ranting to homeless people that his steak wasn't cooked right.

Fuckin lmao

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

80% of this thread is a dude ranting to homeless people that his steak wasn't cooked right.

MR PRESIDENT! THANK YOU!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Baker sucks

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Coming into this game it was important for the Browns or New England to make a statement. New England thoroughly housed the Browns who embarrassed themselves today thus continuing to be the Browns.

I don't know what the heck this team is. On paper they supposed to be pretty drat good. In reality .500. Soft on tackling in Defense and outside of a couple players don't have that zest I see Pitts or Ravens teams have on Defense.

I don't know what the excuse will be for today but welp. Don't have confidence in making the playoffs either. Maybe we end up at .500 for the year or something so I guess that's better than nothing.

EDIT: Also Troy Hill died, hope he will be ok.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 14, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Joe Woods should have been fired after Henne’s 3rd and 14.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
How bad is PFF?

Real bad

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

please don't speak ill of the dead

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Have the Browns reached the old Rams "never bet for or against" territory?

No, always bet against the Browns

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man, I wasn't expecting that.

The Patriots defense had looked great!... stomping Sam Darnold and Zac Wilson into the dirt, but they just annihilated the Browns after that first drive.

But it was the offense that just dominated that game. 180 rushing yards, converted like every 3rd down they attempted, great in the red zone. Just a masterful performance against a defense that had been good this year.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

My stupid loving team's QB situation is dire. Stuck between stage IV retirement level Captain Fat gently caress and a guy who is somehow worse than Landry Jones

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
0 - 8 - 1

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
0-16-1 is now in play! thanks Steelers!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

D-LINK posted:

My stupid loving team's QB situation is dire. Stuck between stage IV retirement level Captain Fat gently caress and a guy who is somehow worse than Landry Jones

Whatever happened uh... Dwayne Haskins?

I mean he probably sucks, but he's gotta be better then that

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kalli posted:

The Steelers still aren't convinced that they are dead wrong about Rudolph as of yet, so Haskins is on the backburner

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kalli posted:

I think he's riding the pine precisely because he isn't better than Rudolph.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

The weather conditions notwithstanding if anybody thinks the Steelers should bench Ben for Rudolph, they’re confused.

I don’t know what they’ll do when he retires but the answer isn’t on the roster.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think he's riding the pine precisely because he isn't better than Rudolph.
That seems doubtful, though it is certainly possible.

And it figures I would miss the good half of the Bills game…

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Rudolph was terrible, and he wasn't even the worst QB in that game!

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

where are people getting this "dwayne haskins is good" narrative from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s more is he worse than the others