Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah NFL is the only major sport where you can still have a draw. So it's a cool result when it happens. NCAA overtime is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Chucktesla posted:

Keep the tie because they are extremely funny when they happen and you get to see which coach is a real coward for settling for a tie sometimes

yeah

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah NFL is the only major sport where you can still have a draw. So it's a cool result when it happens. NCAA overtime is awful.

counterpoint: penn st - illinois this year

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm sure it has its moments but I think the format is just bad. I don't ever want to see that. I just don't care much for college football at all. The only thing I liked about it they have incorporated now which was being able to score off someone else's PAT.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tie games also reduce the real scourge of ties in the NFL: playoff teams ending up with the same record, whose seeds are determined via arcane tiebreaking rules

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

solarjetman posted:

Tie games also reduce the real scourge of ties in the NFL: playoff teams ending up with the same record, whose seeds are determined via arcane tiebreaking rules

i think they should remove ties from the sport by implementing arcane tiebreaking rules to the games themselves, if regulation ends with the score tied then you go down a checklist of comparative stats and whoever has the most checks wins

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Starting to think my dumb shooting star wish for the Mariners to be good next has doomed all the teams I root for and all non baseball Seattle sports. May or may not be worth it.

The real monkeys paw is, the Mariners will be great and won't play a game because of the lockout

Kawalimus posted:

...soccerbros are typing...

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

The real monkeys paw is, the Mariners will be great and won't play a game because of the lockout

...soccerbros are typing...

I know soccer can. But that's not a major sport here. I like soccer so don't take that as a bad remark towards it :)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

solarjetman posted:

Most of those tiebreakers are sensible though. Like beating them in the regular season or sweeping within the division, divisional records and conference records and common games. It only gets insane way down that list and it very very rarely ever gets there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am a certified Cam Newton hater but I'M BACK was cool as gently caress

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Chucktesla posted:

Keep the tie because they are extremely funny when they happen and you get to see which coach is a real coward for settling for a tie sometimes

Which is why I don't get why people were criticizing Campbell for taking timeouts in OT yesterday. Dude was playing to win or lose, I liked it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I like Dan Campbell and I hope he has success but he will never

Ever

Eeeeeeeeever

Have success in Detroit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That game drove me into madness, I was laughing hysterically when neither team scored in the third through seventh OTs

It was like the Bengals missed fg game but even worse since neither team could accomplish gaining 2 yards

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Alaois posted:

i think they should remove ties from the sport by implementing arcane tiebreaking rules to the games themselves, if regulation ends with the score tied then you go down a checklist of comparative stats and whoever has the most checks wins

“So what’s number 35 on the list?“

“Well now we have to wait until Wednesday to find out what teams offensive line has a better average PFF grade.”

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Cam Newton getting flagged for shouting "I'm back!" while Rodgers gets away with screaming "I OWN YOU!" at Bears fans is very on brand for the NFL.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

solarjetman posted:

Counterpoint: The NFL changing the tiebreakers to reduce the possibility of another “WE NEED MORE POINTS!” scenario was bad. Imagine that sort of thing playing out today with Red Zone, it’d be the mother of all Witching Hours :allears:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Cam Newton getting flagged for shouting "I'm back!" while Rodgers gets away with screaming "I OWN YOU!" at Bears fans is very on brand for the NFL.

Nothing would make this season like Rodgers getting mangled by the opposing team.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

You see he took his helmet off so

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Drives in Steelers - Lions OT:

Punt, Fumble, Missed FG, Punt, Punt, Fumble, Time

Beauty itself.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
No real surprise here but it was a very funny temper tantrum

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1460260825281695744

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

That game drove me into madness, I was laughing hysterically when neither team scored in the third through seventh OTs

It was like the Bengals missed fg game but even worse since neither team could accomplish gaining 2 yards

The best thing I think about with the 2 point overtimes going on and on and on was they had to keep switching ends of the field for two damned plays because one team obviously wanted to play defense in front of their student section and the other did not.

A lot of big old linemen had to jog for like 600 yards over the course of those OTs.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Before Cam scored those two touchdowns for the Cardinals, the Panthers had 1 TD on their previous 35 possessions.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Why wont they give Dwayne Haskins a shot?
https://twitter.com/NFL_DougFarrar/status/1460269330751692800

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1460255826082467842?t=NfwYbPicUSniCmzSBPjuUw&s=19

:mcnabb:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Idk why people are making a big deal out of him saying that. He's a rookie in the NFL, he's spent his entire life not playing without ties (I guess depending on where he went to HS, my HS had overtimes until there was a winner).

Ties are dumb anyway

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I straight up think the SB should be able to end in a tie and get a shared championship. Well not really. But Id like to see it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Get rid of ties and just hand both teams a loss.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Get rid of ties and just hand both teams a loss.

The idea of just tracking wins and ignoring losses or ties is interesting.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

I straight up think the SB should be able to end in a tie and get a shared championship. Well not really. But Id like to see it.

Y'know I was sitting here thinking 'It really should be on coaches and players to actually know the rules of the game they're playing I guess' and then realized that I hadn't considered the idea of a SuperBowl potentially coming down to a tie and what that would entail, and thinking about it, assume that it would continue indefinitely until there's a winner because 'SuperBowl', since that'd make sense. However, I actually don't know the honest answer to that situation per league rules. So, yep. I can see how players aren't aware sometimes.

e: having looked them up; I was mostly correct but my point still stands. Also

quote:

If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared.

Imagining an NFL game going 8 quarters and still needing more time would be pretty goddamn wild. Now I'm just picturing broken players draped over the benches and strewn over the sidelines and coaches with torn garments screaming into long-dead headsets.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 15, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Y'know I was sitting here thinking 'It really should be on coaches and players to actually know the rules of the game they're playing I guess' and then realized that I hadn't considered the idea of a SuperBowl potentially coming down to a tie and what that would entail, and thinking about it, assume that it would continue indefinitely until there's a winner because 'SuperBowl', since that'd make sense. However, I actually don't know the honest answer to that situation per league rules. So, yep. I can see how players aren't aware sometimes.

Oh the playoffs go on indefinitely. There have been a handful of double OT playoff games--most recently the Ravens and Broncos. Then before that was Rams and Panthers where Steve Smith had a long TD to end it. This could happen in the SB too. I just think it ending in a tie would be funny :D

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Before Cam scored those two touchdowns for the Cardinals, the Panthers had 1 TD on their previous 35 possessions.

Yeah I get why Carolina brought him back it's just kinda funny cause they've come full circle on paying replacement quarterbacks.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
That's good I guess

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1460250668132884480

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

If you gave me top 15 pick NFL money I would immediately not give a poo poo about anything other than my petty hobbies.

The signing bonus alone would be enough to make me never want to work again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Idk why people are making a big deal out of him saying that. He's a rookie in the NFL, he's spent his entire life not playing without ties (I guess depending on where he went to HS, my HS had overtimes until there was a winner).

Ties are dumb anyway

Because it’s dumb. Ties happen more consistently than safties but I assume he knows what those are

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eifert Posting posted:

If you gave me top 15 pick NFL money I would immediately not give a poo poo about anything other than my petty hobbies.

The signing bonus alone would be enough to make me never want to work again.

Someone post the old JaMarcus Russell-flying bird thing.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because it’s dumb. Ties happen more consistently than safties but I assume he knows what those are

No they don't? Safeties happen much more often. For instance, there were 18 safeties scored in 2020, and 1 tie.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

And also it looks like there have been 4 safeties in the NFL this year so far and 1 tie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sheri posted:

And also it looks like there have been 4 safeties in the NFL this year so far and 1 tie.

Doesn’t really change my point. They aren’t terribly uncommon.

There has been at least a tie per year for the last five years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Every CFB team took a look at that and immediately added in like 6-7 additional 2 point plays to the playbook. I'm pretty sure PSU ran out of designed 2 point plays and was just running random short yardage poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
During Najee Harris' entire lifetime (since 98) there have been 11 ties total until last game. The OT rule changes made them a bit more common the past few years. But its not unlikely that he never cared enough to notice that ties were a thing in the NFL.