Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because it’s dumb. Ties happen more consistently than safties but I assume he knows what those are

Safeties also happen in college and HS ball? My point was to this point he hasn't played football that has ties in it. So until it happens, like this past weekend, he may not have known about it or forgotten that it's in the NFL. Hell, he may not have even watched much NFL up to this point to know all the rules.

I guess I'm just not ready to call the guy a moron for now knowing a rule that he probably didn't have to think much about, if at all, until now.

e2: when McNabb did it he was a few years into his career, Najee did it a few games, I don't think they're comparable.

e: \/\/\/ this is the better point to make, it's on the teams to make sure these guys know this stuff

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 15, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like understanding the rules about how a game ends and what could happen is something that should be drilled into players from day 1.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like understanding the rules about how a game ends and what could happen is something that should be drilled into players from day 1.

Literally doesn't change his job one way or another. Proper jock strap laundering is also essential to a successful football team, but they have guys for that too.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Literally doesn't change his job one way or another. Proper jock strap laundering is also essential to a successful football team, but they have guys for that too.

This is it. Football players are so uniquely obsessed with their specific role on a football field that they often don't pay attention to the broader details of the game. It's irrelevant to executing their function.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

NFL players don't wear jock straps.

:eng101:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't think it's a moral failing from Harris but is incredibly odd to not know about ties even a fan with a passing interest in the NFL. They're not that rare!

And as a player, I'm sure he'd have a coach reminding him, but he could theoretically lose them the game if he failed to get OOB before an end of game field goal attempt. He should know there are ties!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Thank goodness.

But does he want to come back to this team?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

I don't think it's a moral failing from Harris but is incredibly odd to not know about ties even a fan with a passing interest in the NFL. They're not that rare!

And as a player, I'm sure he'd have a coach reminding him, but he could theoretically lose them the game if he failed to get OOB before an end of game field goal attempt. He should know there are ties!

I’m assuming that most college and professional football players don’t watch games like fans because they spend 75% of their waking time in season either at practice, playing games, or watching all-22 footage of whoever they are preparing for the next week.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Considering this could potentially cost games and playoff positions this is very much something that players should be at least somewhat aware about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Give me a minute and I will make up a dumb reason why not knowing is actually the correct and expected move actually

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Don't the refs announce that the game will end in a tie if the score is still even after 10 minutes prior to every OT?

Also most other players seem to know ties can happen, since you only hear about one person every 10 years or so in the league say they didn't know ties were a thing. Seems like it warrants some light teasing for Najee.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Give me a minute and I will make up a dumb reason why not knowing is actually the correct and expected move actually

Who gives a poo poo if a random player doesn’t know the overtime rules? He made it to the NFL without knowing it clearly wasn’t that important until just now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Who gives a poo poo if a random player doesn’t know the overtime rules? He made it to the NFL without knowing it clearly wasn’t that important until just now.

I think it's more annoying that football media goes out of their way every time there is a tie to find someone that didn't know you could tie.

When it famously happened to McNabb (2008), there hadn't been a lot of ties. There was one in 02 but I could see it not being a big deal.

Since 2012, though, there has been at least 1 tie game every year except 2015 and 2017.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

kazil posted:

I think it's more annoying that football media goes out of their way every time there is a tie to find someone that didn't know you could tie.

When it famously happened to McNabb (2008), there hadn't been a lot of ties. There was one in 02 but I could see it not being a big deal.

Maybe it's because I watched the whole thing, but the 2002 game was a very big deal. Falcons came back from 17 down to go to OT. Plaxico Burress was stopped at the 1 in OT as time expired on a Hail Mary. Burress had 253 receiving yards from, of all people, Tommy Maddox. Both teams blocked field goals in overtime, including Atlanta WR Brian Finneran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pR80Qhpna8

There was somebody on the Falcons that year who didn't know anything about ties, either. Can't remember who.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

CharlestheHammer posted:

What, you calling Buddhism dumb?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Najee Harris not knowing about ties is a clear failing on the part of the Steelers, honestly they should be punished by being forced to surrender Harris to the number one seed in the AFC, yep, that's certainly the only punishment worthy of such ignorance.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
last week we had so much crazy news, this one we spend pages and pages arguing about whether it is embarrassing to not know about NFL ties and if it is, how embarrassing exactly

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Maybe they don't know about ties. But who cares? There's hardly any bad consequence for it. They already took 5 quarters(well 4 and two thirds now) and couldn't win the game. So if you can't win a game in 5 quarters half a win is pretty good.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 16, 2021

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Players don't know about ties because you don't game plan to tie a game and ultimately suffer from some sort of so intimately engrossed in a thing they fail to ever notice an obscure glaring fault syndrome.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Kawalimus posted:

Maybe they don't know about ties. But who cares? There's hardly any bad consequence for it. They already took 5 quarters(well 4 and two thirds now) and couldn't win the game. So if you can't win a game in 5 quarters half a win is pretty good.

This is spot on actually that kind of how it is in hockey if you got to OT both teams kind of get half a win.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Cam Newton getting flagged for shouting "I'm back!" while Rodgers gets away with screaming "I OWN YOU!" at Bears fans is very on brand for the NFL.

If only there was some obvious difference between the two that historically is linked to discrimination. Oh well we will never know why one got flagged.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ties are funny when they don’t happen to my team

the 2016 6-6 tie game between the Seahawks and Cardinals was funny

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

can you honestly say that every head coach in the league knows that ties can happen at the end of overtime

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cat Hassler posted:

Ties are funny when they don’t happen to my team

the 2016 6-6 tie game between the Seahawks and Cardinals was funny

Counterpoint: the Lions are my team and I thought it was outrageously funny.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

can you honestly say that every head coach in the league knows that ties can happen at the end of overtime

Yes.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Urban Meyer?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Elephanthead posted:

If only there was some obvious difference between the two that historically is linked to discrimination. Oh well we will never know why one got flagged.

Didn't he get flagged for taking his helmet off on the field?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Hoop Dreams posted:

During Najee Harris' entire lifetime (since 98) there have been 11 ties total until last game. The OT rule changes made them a bit more common the past few years. But its not unlikely that he never cared enough to notice that ties were a thing in the NFL.

Najee was also spending weekends living in a homeless shelter/playing for Alabama so like, that dude's been *busy*

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Didn't he get flagged for taking his helmet off on the field?

It’s not a delay or a penalty after a touchdown to do that.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

rear end rear end rear end rear end

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
As said before it’s not some sort of “moral failing” that he didn’t know ties existed, but it’s a little silly. Hell, there’s a marginal chance that he watched an NFL game that ended in a tie within his lifetime.

If he had said something like “I had no idea the drop kick was a valid PAT play” I would think “yes of course, only complete psychopaths know that still exists in the NFL rule book,” but a tie is pretty common

Nov 6, 2002

Upon further review that taint an interception.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
OBJ destroyed the rams so loving fast jfc

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Asproigerosis posted:

It was obviously Von Miller.

Nov 6, 2002

Tell me more about Stafford the MVP.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Asproigerosis posted:

OBJ speedrun to end the season, any%

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The NFC West:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/FanDuel/status/1460457205292056578

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So uh, I was out all night shaking babies and losing at the last moment in a boardgame, what happened?