Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How the gently caress is smoking cigarettes still picking up new idiots? It made sense for Millenials and Gen X because there millions and millions of dollars thrown at ads, you could still smoke in movies and TV shows, etc. it was genuinely depicted as cool 30 years ago.

These days, and for like the last 10 years, cigarettes have been pretty commonly portrayed as gross and expensive and pretty much only the preview of alcoholics and divorced white trash and Florida/New Jersey grandmothers. I honestly don’t even know where you’d see a cigarette ad these days.

Drinking, smoking weed, doing cool drugs, all of that makes sense, because drinking and doing drugs have never stopped being cool or popular. Cigarettes however… I mean everyone who smokes cigs is just a total fuckin loser right? Like you have a little paper dick in your mouth that makes you smell like dog farts and melts your teeth and the only other people you ever see smoking are people who look like they ride the bus because they don’t have anywhere else to sit down.

Young smokers, what’s the deal, how did you get hooked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

young people are kinda stupid, op.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

oh baby feel that burn, it feels so good, mmm that one in the morning hitting you right in the brainhole

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
they want to die

DVD Pizza
Oct 25, 2009
i dunno, i feel like even going back to the mid-late 90s smoking was depicted pretty negatively (or at least as dangerous) in most media. i don't feel like it's that new that smoking is seen as bad or whatever

i think some percentage of kids will pick up bad habits and make dumb decisions. maybe they have family members or friends that smoke. happens

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Co worker ten years younger than me is trying to quit tobacco but also keeps buying crypto so idk seems like people are just trying to cope with whatever they can

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
P. sure i'm a loving idiot numbskull, that really helps, and addiction, but I'm genx also .. yeh.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Look around you. You wanna live to a ripe old age in this firey hell pit we call earth? gently caress no

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

stiil looks cool. it never won't.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

These days, and for like the last 10 years, cigarettes have been pretty commonly portrayed as gross and expensive and pretty much only the preview of alcoholics and divorced white trash and Florida/New Jersey grandmothers. I honestly don’t even know where you’d see a cigarette ad these days.

Drinking, smoking weed, doing cool drugs, all of that makes sense, because drinking and doing drugs have never stopped being cool or popular. Cigarettes however… I mean everyone who smokes cigs is just a total fuckin loser right? Like you have a little paper dick in your mouth that makes you smell like dog farts and melts your teeth and the only other people you ever see smoking are people who look like they ride the bus because they don’t have anywhere else to sit down.

it's coming back around, it got so unpopular that it became genuinely cool and edgy instead of something for gross old people

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bust Rodd posted:

How the gently caress is smoking cigarettes still picking up new idiots? It made sense for Millenials and Gen X because there millions and millions of dollars thrown at ads, you could still smoke in movies and TV shows, etc. it was genuinely depicted as cool 30 years ago.

Because a whole lot of covid kids are being raised on The Flintstones to get through these trying times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c

And/or vapes are suddenly Lame or Actually Very Dangerous according to your favorite/least news channel OP

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

roomtone posted:

stiil looks cool. it never won't.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Also I thought this thread was gonna be about the motion picture Short Circuit and honestly I think it's a better topic.

:colbert:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bust Rodd

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
smoking is cool and fun to do! it also feels good!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Good chunk of em start cuz their older brother or sister smokes. Hell, I started because I would sneak their cigs.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
late stage capitalism bay bee

Cigarette sales increased for the first time in 20 years.

It's because everybody is tired and worn down and needs to work two jobs to maybe afford teeth, op. People yearn for a release, an escape, a quiet 5 minutes outside of bullshit existence.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
when you work a fuckin crap job if you smoke you get smoke breaks and if you dont you get fuckall and a lotta people are working crap jobs right now

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
If i dont obliterate my lungs Joe Biden will come and steal them in an attempt to take over las vegas.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Remember when hookah was cool as gently caress for a couple years? What happened to that?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Hookah place by me kept getting shut down because people kept sneaking weed into the hookah. Lol.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Nooner posted:

Remember when hookah was cool as gently caress for a couple years? What happened to that?

Ikr, some of my friends just kept buying hookahs like they were disposable and were VERY insistent on you smoking all of the apple pucks to the end before leaving their house.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I, too, feel there is something wrong with kids these days.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
After I quit smoking, I noticed every indy film seemed to have a shitload of smoking in it. It was incredibly weird, like these films had somehow time travelled from the 1950s or something.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ProperCoochie posted:

People yearn for a release, an escape, a quiet 5 minutes outside of bullshit existence.

They’d be better off with a little dmt now and then

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

everyone smokes and if they say they don't smoke they're lying

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

me when i catch a zoomer lighting up a cancer stick

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

OP is a pole smoker if you know what I mean :ocelot: :grin:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Snowy posted:

They’d be better off with a little dmt now and then

Well, yeah, but how??

Sounds similar to how I can visit Massachusetts to buy legal weed, but the whole state banned menthol cigarettes.

We'd be better off unburdened by the MIC, with free healthcare, forgiven student loans, and access to home ownership, but alas

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bad Purchase posted:

me when i catch a zoomer lighting up a cancer stick

hey baby u need input?

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

when you work a fuckin crap job if you smoke you get smoke breaks and if you dont you get fuckall and a lotta people are working crap jobs right now

some of my managers loving chain smoke just to get away from customers for a while

would be lying if I said I never considered it just to get that freedom for five minutes too

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

kntfkr posted:

hey baby u need input?

what i need, is a hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm7QA7icbs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol at every adult goon who smokes.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Sonic Sez That Smoke Will Make You Choke!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBR9tgTM0bI

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

We had a project come in to do security testing on a bluetooth low energy enabled vape pen and my first thought was "smoking is cooler than this".

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

bossy lady posted:

We had a project come in to do security testing on a bluetooth low energy enabled vape pen and my first thought was "smoking is cooler than this".

No poo poo

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Look around you. You wanna live to a ripe old age in this firey hell pit we call earth? gently caress no

Yeah well at least my response to this is Booze which does not cause me and everything I own to stink like festering poo poo. Thankfully I don't know any smokers, never grew up with smokers, it's some weird cultural thing that I just missed at every turn.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
A lot of people smoke at parties. Do you get invited to parties?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You confused me about talking about Short Circuit OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Surely, Short Circuit smokes?