Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Been over twenty-four hours and this still feels drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Saw this thread come back up and had a good ol lmao

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Reminder that COVID is the only thing that saved Texas from the mighty Jayhawk last year

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Chucktesla posted:

Just woke up and remembered Kansas beating Texas. Lmao

good poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if you're down with kansas beating texas gimme an oh hell yeah

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's very good that this happened, but I feel like it's letting OU off the hook for getting bullied all around by Baylor. But I guess it also gives cover for the Aggies getting gassed at Ole Miss, so perhaps Kansas beating Texas is a land of contrasts.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

It's very good that this happened, but I feel like it's letting OU off the hook for getting bullied all around by Baylor.

We expect bullying out of Baylor, but usually they reserve that for coeds...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you lose to Kansas you should be relegated to the Sun Belt conference.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kirios posted:

If you lose to Kansas you should be relegated to the Sun Belt conference.

And for beating Kansas twice, Coastal gets to join the Big 12 (if they want to).

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jared Casey's family figuring out that it was he who caught the 2-point conversion.

https://twitter.com/jlcasey10/status/1459877819467669505

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Horns always go down.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I just saw this thread and it made me smile. Longhorns lost to the Jayhawks in Austin. Wonderful.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bird in a Blender posted:

I just saw this thread and it made me smile. Longhorns lost to the Jayhawks in Austin. Wonderful.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

My favorite part of the game was when Texas scored 56 points but then Kansas scored 57 :ssh:

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Really doesn't reflect well on Kansas for letting a scrub like Texas back in the game after being up three scores

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I know it’ll shock you to hear it, but the team that recently lost at home to Kansas has lost again, this time to West Virginia, and they’re assured of a losing season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So if Texas loses to KSU next week they’ll have a worse record than any of Charlie String’s teams.

Also I just found out Charlie Strong is on staff for Urban’s Jags this year.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Mack Brown missed a bowl one time at Texas; it was the year after Alabama beat them in the national title game. This will be the third time in 8 years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I still think West Virginia would have been a better fit for the SEC than either Missouri or Texas.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
One of the things that makes me laugh every time I remember it is when I saw someone on a Longhorn message board refer to West Virginia as "coal Aggie"

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

A.o.D. posted:

I still think West Virginia would have been a better fit for the SEC than either Missouri or Texas.

best fit would've been ACC but there are people there with long memories.

or Big10 I guess but idk, same there.

SEC would've been cool.

also: losing to this WVU team is either very bad or not too bad, depending on if the better QB could throw that day.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

The ACC is where their natural Appalachian counterparts are; plus I think WVU would competitively have a real bad time in the SEC, even in the East.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
So uh, why is Texas so bad? Maybe just let bygones be bygones and rehire Tom Herman?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Adun posted:

So uh, why is Texas so bad? Maybe just let bygones be bygones and rehire Tom Herman?

Texas is Super Tennessee in terms of booster dysfunction.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Godzilla07 posted:

Texas is Super Tennessee in terms of booster dysfunction.

I get that the rich dudes in Texas like the choo choo song but how much can the boosters actually do? They’re not setting game plans or depth charts

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Texas has had a years-long problem developing talent, and it lasted long enough that now its turning into a recruiting problem too. Most of it boils down to that; who knows how they go if Colt McCoy's shoulder doesn't get blown up early in that title game. But for years now there's been a perception that Texas players are overrated vs what they actually do on the field because they play for Texas.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Texas players think playing for Texas is all they need to do to have made it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It seems weird that the same team culture problems would persist through multiple coaching regimes though. Is it just that a not-especially-good Texas is attracting a particular type of blue chip?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I wish I could find this article again but can't but I definitely read one either right at the end of Mack Brown or right at the start of Charlie Strong where an NFL GM had told his scouts "we won't be drafting Texas players" for basically that reason

You could understand if it was a thing that took hold at the end of the Brown tenure (after all he got fired 2 years after a title game appearance) and into the early Strong years while he cleared poo poo out, but since then it's not like they've been doing great

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

General Dog posted:

The ACC is where their natural Appalachian counterparts are; plus I think WVU would competitively have a real bad time in the SEC, even in the East.

I meant culturally. Burning Couches is a natural fit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I meant culturally. Burning Couches is a natural fit.

Having lived near Morgantown for a few years I feel qualified to say this- too poor, too white, nowhere to get chicken tenders. It’s not SEC.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

General Dog posted:

It seems weird that the same team culture problems would persist through multiple coaching regimes though. Is it just that a not-especially-good Texas is attracting a particular type of blue chip?

Hmm, the booster influence seems to be the commonality here then, doesn't it...?

Elephanthead posted:

Texas players think playing for Texas is all they need to do to have made it.

Texas has trying to be Ivy League for years, and it looks like the football team crossed the finish line first!!

--

On a more solemn note, I deeply apologize for my team crushing the Kansas win streak yesterday, and doing so in a fashion that gave you hope for way too long. That was cruel.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There are a lot of programs where the boosters are left unchecked that don’t have these same types of problems. Auburn comes to mind.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chieves posted:

On a more solemn note, I deeply apologize for my team crushing the Kansas win streak yesterday, and doing so in a fashion that gave you hope for way too long. That was cruel.

Honestly, it was just cool to have a road game remain that close. I'm so used to scores like 56-9 that I'll take anything that at least looks competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

General Dog posted:

Having lived near Morgantown for a few years I feel qualified to say this- too poor, too white, nowhere to get chicken tenders. It’s not SEC.

We're poor as gently caress down here.