Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Many will disagree due to vendor lock-in and cost, but I went with UniFi and have absolutely loved their solution.

What vendor lock in? I have their APs only and run the controller on a VM of my ESXi box. They're great and the price is right for enterprisy-ish stuff for SOHO. No issues with multiple SSIDs on multiple VLANs, handoff between APs, etc. It all just works seamlessly with the rest of the definitely not Ubiquiti switches and router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Motronic posted:

What vendor lock in? I have their APs only and run the controller on a VM of my ESXi box. They're great and the price is right for enterprisy-ish stuff for SOHO. No issues with multiple SSIDs on multiple VLANs, handoff between APs, etc. It all just works seamlessly with the rest of the definitely not Ubiquiti switches and router.

I'm sorry, I maybe need to re-read the original message. I thought it was regarding NVR and camera solutions. I was speaking about the UniFi branded cameras specifically, none of the networking stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I'm sorry, I maybe need to re-read the original message. I thought it was regarding NVR and camera solutions. I was speaking about the UniFi branded cameras specifically, none of the networking stuff.

Oh, you're right....I lost context switching between threads. In any case, their cameras work with anything as well (they can do an RTSP stream). And I believe their NVR can record RTSP streams, making it so any generic camera should work too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

Oh, you're right....I lost context switching between threads. In any case, their cameras work with anything as well (they can do an RTSP stream). And I believe their NVR can record RTSP streams, making it so any generic camera should work too.

That's great to know, although I haven't felt the need to look at other NVRs or Cameras. Thanks for the correction.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
All my network stuff is unifi and I would gladly do their camera but $$ and honestly I don't really neeeeed it. But messing around with some cheap Wyze cams sounds good.

csammis posted:

I use https://github.com/mrlt8/docker-wyze-bridge for my Wyze 3 camera, works fine and the developer was very responsive when I was working on adding Wyze pan/tilt controls to Home Assistant a year ago

Oh I never considered home assistant, always wanted to install it to see what it does. I read that docker bridge doesn't actually stop all the traffic from going to Wyze, is that true?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I run Unifi as well and will never go back. My only irritation is their lack of 2.5/5/10GB networking gear for their low-mid level routers and switches, outside their Aggregation switches.

I really want a Unifi Router with at least 1-2 10GB SFPs that isn't crazy expensive.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 2, 2024

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
is there a self hosting mdm that can be setup for kids devices?

im trying to figure out how to do web filtering on a mobile device that works on LTE

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
finally made the plunge and bought a used biz prebuild (optiplex 5070, i5-9600T / 16GB RAM) so I could start on setting up jellyfin and a general home server lab for learning.

Problem is my cheap setup at home for sharing peripherals/monitors might have me screwed.

I have a gaming PC with dual monitors at home and my partner needs to use her work laptop at the same desk, so rather than purchasing an actual KVM switch, I just ended up getting a simple USB 3 peripheral switch (for keyboard/mouse/headset/microphone) and then setup a x2 HDMI to USB3 adapter into the secondary HDMI-out for each monitor. It works fairly well because after hitting the USB peripheral switch my monitor is pretty good at autodetecting the other display and generally switches to it (and if it doesnt its easy to switch on the monitor itself anyways). Neither of us work "between" both machines (i.e. she logs out end of day then I go use my PC) so never ran into any issues with needing faster switching or anything.

But, now I got the mini-PC, but I really don't want to have to invest in a real KVM switch to share peripherals / monitors across the three machines. I have like an visceral aversion to any sort of cable management and testing peripherals so if I can avoid that it would be really great.

Could I setup some kind of remote desktop hardlinked or over local network instead? Essentially access the server-PC as if it was a virtual machine setup on my gaming-PC? What are the drawbacks with this setup?

edit: okay I'm obviously very confused. I've been planning my jellyfin setup as if it was another PC or server that I'd be installing Ubuntu on and spinning up docker containers for jellyfin or whatever.

But, is something like TrueNAS or UnRaid what I actually should be looking at for my use-case? I.E. is it really that simple that if I install TrueNAS on the mini-PC I can access it remotely through my workstation PC? Or is TrueNAS just like any other OS and I have to setup a remote desktop situation?

edit: im dumb, ive just been thinking about this all wrong. I'm setting up a NAS, I dont need to worry about peripherals.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 3, 2024

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Generally speaking most servers are administered remotely via SSH or a web interface so you shouldn't need to have it connected to a K+M outside of initial setup or if something goes horrible wrong.

No real issue going Ubuntu or TrueNAS, the latter provides a nice web interface out of the box to do everything from so you'll probably find this easier. Plenty of guides around for both for Jellyfin etc.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah ignore my last post, it just dawned on me that I was approaching this whole thing as if this was just another PC I would switch peripherals on to operate on.

Is a NAS literally just a machine with booted up specialty OS thats designed natively for media sharing and remote operation?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 3, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yeah ignore my last post, it just dawned on me that I was approaching this whole thing as if this was just another PC I would switch peripherals on to operate on.

Is a NAS literally just a machine with booted up specialty OS thats designed natively for media sharing and remote operation?

"Specialty OS" is optional but not mandatory, many of the mainstream OS's could be used to run a NAS as well. Some of the specialty ones focus around either optimization for minimal hardware requirements, or for utilization of random stacks of drives like Unraid.

At its heart the bare minimum for a NAS would be to run a storage drive or drives, attach to a network and function as an accessible drive to other devices.

Some people have their NAS just doing this function only, which is nice for very minimal power / lower hardware requirements. Others, because this is a device you will typically always leave on, use the NAS as a home server for other uses as well through things like having it run a separate VM, or using dockers etc to run other functions and services.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Ya just on all the time serving files and apps. Some trying to look cute.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

At minimum anything with storage you can access via SMB or NFS or whatever. You can roll your own easily but the more purpose built OSs have the kinks worked out and often have nice quality of life features so you’re not having to go in and futz about nearly as often.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I run trillium for notes but I've never really loved it. I saw notion in the play store and just from the screenshots it looks awesome. After some digging it looks like the most similar things I can self host are

Appflowy
https://github.com/AppFlowy-IO/AppFlowy

Outline
https://github.com/outline/outline

Anytype
https://tech.anytype.io/how-to/self-hosting

Anyone got any experience with em?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Resdfru posted:

I run trillium for notes but I've never really loved it. I saw notion in the play store and just from the screenshots it looks awesome. After some digging it looks like the most similar things I can self host are

Appflowy

Outline

Anytype

There's a low volume thread about notes. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990615 I'm personally part of the Obsidian cult. Electron client with local markdown files that you then sync to other locally held obsidian instances. I run a copy in a docker container with vnc in case I really don't have access to my desktop, my mac, my ipad, my iphone, etc...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Notion is too close system for my liking. I have also joined the Obsidian camp, but if you stick with any that supports .md then you can easily transfer to any solution.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Yea, same with notion. Looks cool but I don't wanna be locked into anyone else's thing. I just looked into those 3 things I posted and I'm too lazy for that. I'll try obsidian and see how it goes

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Resdfru posted:

Appflowy

Outline

Anytype

There's Joplin as well (you can self-host the sync server)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tamba posted:

There's Joplin as well (you can self-host the sync server)

You can also just use any existing webdav server for your sync too. I use my nextcloud instance to sync my joplin clients and it works great. No additional service required.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Obsidian is great barring the face you can’t really sync your poo poo to your infra if you’re using a phone or iPad at any point. That said, you sure can just rsync it out of iCloud if you’re using a Mac laptop or the like. I think you can do some git nonsense as well but I never got around to looking into it.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
From what I've read (really quick Google search) this should work on ios https://github.com/vrtmrz/obsidian-livesync

I installed it earlier but haven't had a chance to try it out yet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That looks really interesting. Not sure if it's interesting enough to expose a DB on my network to the internet writ large but still interesting. I'm a bit surprised they didn't just use postgres or the like, I've never heard of CouchDB before.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Warbird posted:

That looks really interesting. Not sure if it's interesting enough to expose a DB on my network to the internet writ large but still interesting. I'm a bit surprised they didn't just use postgres or the like, I've never heard of CouchDB before.

I just have my phone connected via VPN to my home network at all times.

Also another vouch for livesync, works great for me.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Yea i use tailscale, nothing on my network is exposed.

I finally got live sync working last night. Spent like an hour troubleshooting my reverse proxy and couchdb thinking I did something wrong. But the problem was that I thought in the live sync config where it said to put database name and it said it will create it if it doesn't exist I misinterpreted that as leave it blank to get a random one. So yea I put a dB name and everything worked. Loloops

It's great though, does exactly what it says it will.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Quick portainer syntax question. I have a directory on my NAS with two words in the name. Portainer seems to be having difficulty with mounting this for my Plex docker despite trying a few things I've googled to get the spaces in with ASCII/etc. What is the correct way to do this?

For context, the Plex is hosted on a NUC and has mounted the drives from my NAS on my Unraid machine in /media as shown below. All of them work properly when accessing through the terminal and as you can see for some that have two words in the name I mounted them with underscores to get around this. The 'Family Videos' in question is a subdirectory so I cannot change the path for that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hm. This actually brushed up against something I’ve been meaning to finally learn how to do for a bit now but don’t fully understand.

My LAN has something like a couple dozen services sitting behind a reverse proxy with 99% of them restricted to intranet only access via Access Control Profiles. That lets me use DNS names and have real SSL (not necessary, I know, but I like not being bothered by the browser’s complaining) on local services while keeping them off the internet writ large. Two of those services are WireGuard servers (one on the router, one on a RasPi off somewhere for redundancy’s sake and the router’s server software being eeh).

Despite having left the VPN on at times and forgetting without a noticeable degradation of performance, I don’t really want to have it always on for everything when out and would prefer the service specific apps I have to just use a VPN tunnel in and everything else stay free range. My understanding is that you can achieve this sort of thing via split tunneling. Is that on the money?

E: ^^^^^

Iirc the way to go about this is
code:
volume: ‘/xxx/forty gigs of Elvis erotica’:/homework
or thereabouts.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 4, 2024

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I haven't used portainer much but generally you would wrap the entire path in quotes or you can try escaping the spaces with backslashes

Yea split tunneling is how you would make it so only VPN specific traffic uses the VPN. I believe tailscale (and possibly wire guard?) work that way by default unless you enable the use of an exit node

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 4, 2024

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Sorry to cross post but not quite sure yet where the media server / Plex megathread and the self host megathread discussion borders are at.

Just wanted to crosspost my followup on what to do with a mistaken purchase for new NAS server setup. I figured because it's mainly hardware oriented that folks here might have other expertise/advice.
See here

edit: Can be ignored, looks like my choice has been made cause the used prebuild isnt working anyways so had to initiate refund. I'm going to take another poster's advice and do what I should've done from the start and just build this from an atx tower with cheaper parts. I won't get the small form factor which would be nice, but I'm not completely short of space where it makes sense given the cost difference with micro-ATX / mini-ITX. It gives me plenty of space to expand as well as flexibility in re-purposing older parts I might upgrade on my gaming PC (for example, already have 16GB RAM I could use).

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 5, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Looking into tailscale/headscale some more. While I still don't need it for myself, I did discover this neat trick for linuxserver.io container images that lets you drop in the vpn into the container itself without the need for a whole new dockerfile and ci/cd pipline to publish a modified image.

https://tailscale.dev/blog/docker-mod-tailscale

Would be useful to join together specific containers to a vpn or join offsite hosted stuff together without altering the underlying host server.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oysters Autobio posted:

A lot of struck through :words: about NAS
We also have a NAS thread.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bit of a long-shot, hoping to get some direction on how to resurrect this issue with dockers on my Unraid.

I replaced a failing parity drive and upon reboot, all of my Dockers and VMs disappeared. I used the Previous Apps function to restore all my dockers and all of them fired back up with no concerns except Nextcloud/Swag/MariaDB. Originally was complaining about not being able to access the database, but that error went away. Seems as if my docker network wasn't preserved and after recreating the connection between Nextcloud/Swag it still does not work. Getting 404 on Nextcloud WebUI when accessing internally and 502 externally. Logs not showing much and all of the .conf files are preserved as they were before.

I used the Spaceinvader One 2022 set up videos for this if that helps. I am at a loss for next steps or what to even google. Almost ready to nuke and re-set up Nextcloud from scratch again, but that is not a trivial thing with all the users/shares/etc. Thanks in advance for any help or direction!

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Why would a "parity drive" replacement cause anything to disappear? That sounds insane.

Edit: In the interest of trying to be useful: you pretty much need to read logs to figure out what is going on. I don't think anyone will be able to help because there's too little info to work with. Are requests reaching the Nextcloud container or not? If not, it's a traffic routing issue. If traffic is coming through, then it's a Nextcloud issue. Personally, I'd start out with checking if Nextcloud has gone into maintenance mode.

Keito fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 9, 2024

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The differing error codes between internal and external makes me think you might have an incorrect routing configuration on whatever’s directing traffic to the containers (Traefik or nginx I’m guessing).

404 would be the equivalent of “I don’t know what you’re asking for” whereas 502 is “I’m trying to send you to that service but it’s not responding.” I’d start by looking at that part of the stack. Also check the NextCloud logs to see if it’s healthy and is getting any traffic, but the problem is likely before that point.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There's a lot of stuff that could be wrong with that setup. Your database could have gotten disconnected from nextcloud and the nextcloud config file could be pointing to an internal docker network IP that no longer exists. Or there could be something in the config that is causing it to reboot over and over again. You really just need to look at the logs to see what is causing an issue.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks all for the responses and apologies for asking a question and going dark. The dockers and such disappearing after drive swap apparently happens enough that there's discussions on the unraid forums for it. I couldn't sort out the connection.

I found that the biggest issue was the deletion of that docker network and no matter how many times I rebuilt and changed settings I just couldn't get nextcloud to boot up even internally.

For what I use it for, I either don't understand how it all works well enough or it's too buggy to use going forward. I need reliability so just going back to Google drive for it.

Separately, I'm having an issue with updating dockers on my NUC running Ubuntu that only hosts portainer and Plex. Got everything working perfect but when I stop Plex to update the container or make any other changes I get an Error 500 and cannot restart it. Rebooting the server it fires right back up so it's as if something with the port assignments or something are conflicting. I'm about to set up watchtower for auto updates but want to get it working manually before automating it. Google not really helping here.

With such a straightforward and simple stack here, I am scratching my head. Any thoughts?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Can you post your compose file (with any secrets you might have redacted of course)?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Separately, I'm having an issue with updating dockers on my NUC running Ubuntu that only hosts portainer and Plex. Got everything working perfect but when I stop Plex to update the container or make any other changes I get an Error 500 and cannot restart it. Rebooting the server it fires right back up so it's as if something with the port assignments or something are conflicting. I'm about to set up watchtower for auto updates but want to get it working manually before automating it. Google not really helping here.

Every time I've gotten a 500 from Portainer it was because the entrypoint. Duplicate/Edit, delete enterypoint field, deploy. May not be what you're running into, but it's probably worth a try.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

Every time I've gotten a 500 from Portainer it was because the entrypoint. Duplicate/Edit, delete enterypoint field, deploy. May not be what you're running into, but it's probably worth a try.

Yup, that did it! Thank you!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can you post your compose file (with any secrets you might have redacted of course)?

Where do I locate this in Portainer, been looking and cannot see where to find it. I like these solutions but they do obfuscate this kind of stuff and I want to understand it all more so I can really appreciate the full benefits of docker.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What is everyone doing for their monitoring stacks? I realized the other day that I had been losing a docker host to OOM errors off and on for a bit now and usually not noticing for a bit because my Kuma instance was on that host as well. I’ve migrated my Grafana/Prometheus/Kuma stuff onto a different host VM and put memory limits on my container stacks, but I need to get an actual factual monitoring setup going.

I really need to get visibility on the containers themselves, the container hosts, and some sort of log aggregation solution. That sounds like “Actually lean and use Grafana” and “Setup Loki” to me. Is that more or less in line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Warbird posted:

What is everyone doing for their monitoring stacks? I realized the other day that I had been losing a docker host to OOM errors off and on for a bit now and usually not noticing for a bit because my Kuma instance was on that host as well. I’ve migrated my Grafana/Prometheus/Kuma stuff onto a different host VM and put memory limits on my container stacks, but I need to get an actual factual monitoring setup going.

I really need to get visibility on the containers themselves, the container hosts, and some sort of log aggregation solution. That sounds like “Actually lean and use Grafana” and “Setup Loki” to me. Is that more or less in line?

For system and application monitoring, I use Telegraf feeding to InfluxDB with dashboards and such in Grafana.

For log aggregation I have Graylog being fed from several inputs depending on the source:
  • rsyslog for Linux hosts and network devices
  • Winlogbeat for Windows hosts, using the Beats format and managed by Graylog Sidecar
  • GELF for Docker and Kubernetes workloads, either using fluent-bit on K8s or the native GELF logging driver in the Docker daemon.