Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
i host my own email on a VPS, i use apiscp to set up the server.

it has been a little struggle but the apiscp team has been great with support. i would shell out the money and use dreamhost instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

good bye to the large percentage of internet boobies

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
i am having the weirdest issue with my VPS and it is driving me god drat insane

So a few days ago while on vacation my personal apiscp server went offline, i was not able to pull up QR codes or attachments from my email on any device

i messaged the vps company after i was not able to ssh in and they said they have an outage

the outage resolved i cant log in still

i cant ssh in, i cant use racknerd's console like it would open but it wont take any input

so i submitted another ticket in, they asked for the root password, i didnt have it so i booted the server in rescue mode, chrooted it and updated the root password and sent it to the provider.

the provider says they can log in

so i rebooted the server, the console shows the system booting, i type in my username and password, i am in, 10 seconds later it stops taking my keystroke input

racknerd is still telling me that there is no issue because they can still log in. im baffled.

i even spun up a virtual desktop at work and ssh'd and it would time out. still racknerd is able to log in.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

If you have backups: Ask them to re-provision it

turned out it was the updated kernel.

rolled back on grub and everything was fine

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Built a new NAS, running Unraid. Trying to get a handle on how I want to buildout dockers.

Can someone give me the current landscape in regards to Nginx vs Traefick? Swag vs Nginix Proxy Manger?

i use nginx proxy manager if you want full control over what gets exposed. i have a wildcard cert that i share between two instance. one instance is all the internal services and the second instance is exposed to the interwebs.

i basically want to use domain names for services that i frequently use so i dont have to remember port numbers. its really simple to set up to be honest.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

tuyop posted:

Is this the de facto Home Assistant thread?

I have an Aranet4 I’d like to integrate into my smart home bullshit. I’m running home assistant in a docker container on a Debian box.

The Aranet uses Bluetooth to connect. I assume this means I need either:

Something near the Aranet connected to it by Bluetooth and feeding that data to my HA container, or

A really long Bluetooth antenna reaching from the server to the room where the Aranet is, then the HA instance should pick it up.

Has anyone succeeded in getting a Bluetooth device to work on home assistant like that or any other way? An aranet4 would be cool but I don’t imagine anyone else here is a mask-wearing pervert who cares about co2 levels like i do.

\/\/ thanks! Cross posted!

you can use an esp32 as a bluetooth extender. just load esphome on it board and plug it in the USB. it should be able to use the bluetooth on the esp32 board to connect to the bluetooth devices.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Pretty much everything I want to read is posted on Mangadex or Dynasty so I just download them with shell scripts and then serve them using Codex, which has worked out pretty well for me. But my scanlation reading needs are also pretty modest, I wait for a thing to be finished and then download and read the whole thing in one shot rather than fetching chapters as they are released.

I self-hosted for a long time simply because that's how we'd always done it, the family domain was first set up in the 80s and if we weren't self-hosting we wouldn't have had mail at all. I eventually had to retire it because, well, self-hosting email in this era is a grim death march:
- constant fight to mitigate the incoming deluge of spam
- your IP is probably already on a dozen RBLs and good luck getting it removed
- convincing Google or any other big email provider to actually deliver messages from you is an uphill struggle
- if your MTA goes offline for more than like ten minutes, automated systems that want to send you mail will either drop the mail entirely or panic and delete your account rather than just retrying later

At the moment I'm hosting it on Dasher/GAFYD/Google Workspace/whatever the hell they're calling it now, which is a state of affairs that I am pretty unhappy about because Google, but not quite unhappy enough to migrate the entire goddamn domain again.

i self host, its annoying. i dont want my data harvested. im thinking about moving everything over to mxroute or to google workspace. i have an old workspace account that is free for 25 users.

i dont know if its weird, but i worry about what if i get incapacitated or die. i stopped using pihole and adguard because they always fail for some reason. my wife would just trash the whole thing i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
is there a self hosting mdm that can be setup for kids devices?

im trying to figure out how to do web filtering on a mobile device that works on LTE