Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm addicted to self hosting services - I have my own Discord server setup with notifications for Sonarr/Radarr/Plex, my own Plex requests website with auto download for my close friends, and I try and make my services as accessible from my mobile device. I typically download most of my services using Docker in Unraid.

It might be worth putting Adguard Home on your list - I recently switched from PiHole to Adguard, and found the overall process a little less cumbersome - mainly the fact that you don't have manually add Block Lists. I've had a lot less issues with random URL forwarders not working as well.

I also really enjoy...

Overseerr - Mobile-friendly Plex requesting service. 90% of the time I don't even touch Radarr or Sonnar anymore because its so fast at adding requests.
Requestrr - A Discord bot that lets users type "/request ______" to make requests for Plex media.
Heimdall - An easy to setup dashboard for all of your self hosted web applications.
Uptime Kuma - An uptime monitoring dashboard for all of your self hosted web applications.
nginx Proxy Manager - Easy reverse proxy tunneling with your own custom domain

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'll add my newbie endorsement of nginxProxyManager. I tried getting Traefik/LetsEncrypt set up as a reverse proxy when I was first getting into my home server stuff and was constantly banging my head against the wall trying to get the config files set up right and really just struggling with the concept of a reverse proxy in general. Ended up just port forwarding a lot of stuff since I knew how to do that already. Then I tried NPM and it made way more sense and allowed me as a beginner to actually get my networking set up the "right" way. That was a couple years ago so Traefik and LetsEncrypt might be much improved now but I can definitely speak to NPMs user friendly-ness.

I ran into some issues years ago getting Lets Encrypt + DuckDNS setup for proper reverse proxy https forwarding and never bothered trying again, but I thought nginx proxy was pretty simple once I forwarded my domain's DNS to cloudflare and set all my DNS up in there, as well as SSL/TLS certs. It's free.

I mostly followed this guide, but there are a few different guides on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Y6M8CdcQ0

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

Overseerr also led me to LunaSea which is basically a mobile app version of HOMER/Muximux that supports the *arr apps, Tautulli, and NZB. Pretty nice.

TestFlight beta: https://testflight.apple.com/join/WWXaybra

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 18, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I think I saw someone expose radarr and sonarr completely unprotected wondering why their server went apeshit with all these mysterious movie adds. Made me laugh in horror.

I just wish services supported SSO for more than just opening up pages because Authelia is fantastic and Ibracorp have a few very good videos on it. Google even provides a good SSO service but a lot of these apps don't support it for auth.

I don't even think Sonarr and Radarr need to be publicly accessible if you already have Overseerr available. I just wish Sonarr and Radarr would just enable the option to prevent a user from logging in after X number of attempts.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

fletcher posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I've been thinking about finally ditching Google.

My plan would be:
  • Gogle Mail - Switch to ProtonMail. I already use a custom domain with gmail. Mobile app & web interface seems pretty good. Plan would be to update the MX records, and then use the "Import via Easy Switch" feature in ProtonMail to import my emails, calendars, and contacts.
  • Google Calendar - Switch to Proton Calendar
  • Google Docs - I have a ton of docs, slides, and sheets in here. Collabora seems...ok. Maybe Onlyoffice? Does anything make it easy to open the existing gdoc files? Or do I need to do some sort of mass conversion to another format? I frequently edit these documents both on my desktop and on phone. I toyed with the idea of using MS Office, but I don't want to have to put everything on Onedrive to be able to open it on the web version.
  • Google Drive - Switch to using Syncthing both on my android phone & desktop computer to do backups to my NAS. I don't want to expose the NAS to the internet, so the phone sync would only be done over VPN to my place. The NAS is already being backed up to Backblaze.
  • Google Photos - Switch to PhotoPrism. Haven't decided where to host it yet, maybe my colo server (which I'm also thinking about moving back to my place now that I have fiber). Being able to search for "vaccine" and have it bring up my vaccine card, or "dogs", etc is probably the feature I like most about Google Photos, but it seems PhotoPrism is able to do this as well.

Anything else I'm not thinking of? Is there anything that I'm going to really miss after this switch?

I'd never keep important photos and files exclusively on my server - all it takes is a house fire and everything is toast. I appreciate the self hosted ethos, but you're just asking for trouble if you're not doing some sort of cloud-based redudant backup of some sort - I have rclone doing monthly encrypted backups of my Unraid config, appdata backups, docker backups, and photos and files to a Google Business Standard account.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm obsessed with Obsidian, but it's definitely something you have to develop your own system for. I never bothered learning Markdown before and now I get frustrated whenever I try to edit text on a website or app and it doesn't support it. I've been slowly compiling all the important notes and resources related to various nerd-related topics - work productivity, server management (Unraid), marijuana cultivation, homebrewing, and a personal blog where I keep lots of random pieces of information.

I can't believe a PMS app is what's going to take to finally put some of my HTML/CSS education into practice.

If you're on iOS, you could always join the Day One TestFlight and get free IAPs - no annual sub needed! https://testflight.apple.com/join/NXLBigzY

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 8, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cloudflare is tight, you can even host your own website from your server for free.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BedBuglet posted:

I was wondering if I could set up a local DNS server as my primary DNS server on my router to do split-brain DNS. I could run the local DNS server on my NAS and have it resolve an external load balancer or reverse proxy that my cluster ingress can point to. Not entirely sure what options to use for the local DNS server. I know the synology has some type of DNS server functionalitu or I can run something like pihole in a container.

I followed this guide to setup AdGuard + Unbound and my queries average 2-3 ms.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Radarr/Sonarr is great for "tracking" upcoming show and movie releases that you're looking forward to, but yeah, their main purpose is automatically grabbing TV shows/movies from usenet. You can even have it automatically upgrade your files as newer versions get added by the scene.

Hell, we have access to most streaming services through account sharing, and I still tend to add most movies/tv shows to Radarr/Sonarr for Trakt watch list syncing.

Having a unified system for *arr services would be great as more versions are developed - ones for audiobooks, books, comics, etc. I like using Prowlarr for most of my syncing, currently.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 15, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Are there any strong opinions on best ways to back up and sync iCloud Photos to a synology and reduce our storage subscriptions for iCloud?

I’d like to reduce our iCloud subscriptions down from the $10/user/mo for 2TB each, but I’m also a whiny baby about hands off syncing and like the native iOS/macOS Photos.app features. I downloaded Synology Photos last night to give it a whirl, and it looks like the companion mobile app allows you to backup while on the LAN (and I’m assuming if I put Tailscale on both of our phones, we can do it whenever we turn it on while on any wifi as well). Is SP’s photo management as good as apples native stuff?

Finally, I mentioned this in the NAS thread but may as well ask here as well: what is the best way to dump your iCloud Photos onto your nas and sync the latest to it? Is there a solution available to dump and sync iCloud, and then manage and organise using SP instead of having to deal with backing up using the SP backup feature? I’ve only skimmed the documentation for icloudpd, but it’s probably a better idea to ask the pros and go from there instead of striking out on my own :)

There’s also something like PhotoPrism, which you’d use their mobile app to sync your photos with.

Syncing iCloud to other services like rclone is notoriously difficult, so I don’t think you’ll find many solutions that offer a hands off solution to that - you’ll need to rely on Synology or PhotoPrism’s mobile app to sync things. Hopefully they've adopted modern iOS APIs that allow for better background uploading.

I should stress that backing up important photos you can’t restore just to a NAS isn’t the best backup practice - I’d hate for a fire in your house destroying your backups. Cloud backups are certainly still recommended.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 18, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know I recommended Photoprism for photo backups a few days ago, but I just came across this great Google photos ripoff called Immich.

It supports:
Google Photos-like WebUI
Live photos
Background Uploads (that are actually good and don't pause randomly like most other services)
Machine learning for recognizing subjects
iOS app (and Android, of course)

I can't stress how important it is to keep something like photos backed up in an offsite location using Amazon Photos, Google Photos, or iCloud, but this is a great way for NAS-based photo backups with minimal hand-holding once it's setup.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

fletcher posted:

I was interested in trying this out after seeing it discussed recently on reddit but not being able to import an existing directory structure of photos was holding me back. Looks like they are working on it though:

PhotoPrism has been meeting my needs, I've been happy to support them. I just wish the ML was a little better at recognizing things!

I've often loathed file/folder organization for file management, so this really isn't an issue for me (I'm too spoiled by tagging and smart filtering to ever go back to managing any files via folders), but nice to see that they're trying to add it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use iCloud, Immich, and Lightroom (free 1TB with my uni alumni email… indefinitely hopefully?)

I’m too cheap to pay for Google Photos and don’t like that they compress them with the free tier.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

Tell me more about this Lightroom/storage stuff from your university.

We were given a free monthly Adobe subscription as part of our program (IT/UI/UX), I graduated during Covid a couple years ago and my uni login still works with it for some reason.

Definitely not using it as my primary backup, but I do enjoy the Lightroom integration. They’ll probably flip a switch and I’ll lose access one day. Or never.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

Spent yesterday coding up a WebDAV server and JavaScript front-end to make it look like Google Drive and/or a photo gallery. https://git.woozle.org/neale/webfs.

Then I discovered that somebody had already made this exact thing, and also the UI is working: https://github.com/sigoden/dufs. I might submit a patch to have it display README.md.

My idea for the photo gallery was slow as hell to load (the first time) so I'll probably just keep using PiGallery2 which has the advantage of me not having to maintain it.

I wish I could find this stuff at the beginning of the day, so I could, like, not write code all day.

I quite like FileBrowser. It's also a Gdrive ripoff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use freshrss with Reeder on my MacBook/iPhone. You can also easily access it from the webgui if you'd like.

It looks like this:

I've heard miniflux is good if you don't care about webgui access.

edit: Apparently tt-rss is a one-man operation and he's a bit of a jerk about change requests

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 8, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

The author of TT-RSS is an 11/10 rear end in a top hat, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find another alternative I like. I use the filtering rules extensively along with some plugins to inline articles into the reader even if they've got "read more" links, remove articles with keywords I don't care about, etc.

I'm not sure what your exact needs are, but FreshRSS has extensions support, including stuff like RSS-Bridge, Readable, and Embedded YouTube and such.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 9, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

They’re not super useful for the most part imo, at least the official ones. If there is a “read more” FRSS version I don’t know about I’d love to hear about it.

This said between the web interface and Reeder on my Mac stuff it’s about perfect.

Would something like mercury parser work?

Edit:

This blog says FreshRSS can create queries that automatically star articles with keywords like TT-RSS, and this blog talks about some strategies around getting full articles in FreshRSS.

Not sure if it helps or if it's worth the hassle, but there's bound to be some FOSS evangelists who might prefer FreshRSS over TT-RSS.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 9, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I got mercury parser working in docker on my unraid server with FreshRSS. Not sure if it's better than TT-RSS + Plugins, but it seems like a nice enough addition. I also went ahead and added a bunch of other extensions (I hadn't messed with them before).

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 9, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use Immich because I'm lazy and couldn't care less if I have to export my photos from it in order to another app in the future.

I'd also like to continue to beat the dead horse that is:

Your NAS should never be the only place you store your most cherished memories - you're one house fire away from losing everything. Make sure you have a Cloud-based back-up like iCloud or Google Photos as well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

fletcher posted:

Hope you don't need the location data for your photos outside of google: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/80379228

This is ridiculous and I can't believe it isn't brought up more often.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

calandryll posted:

I recently redid our entire home network with a new NAS (TrueNAS Scale), etc. My wife asked about setting up a solution for backing photos from both an iPhone and Pixel, so we don't have to rely on iCloud or Google Photos. What's a recommended setup? I've seen PhotoPrism but can't seem to find any official apps for Android, haven't looked at iOS.

Immich

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

tuyop posted:

Does immich handle Live Photos well?

Yep!

cruft posted:

Is that the Apple branding on motion JPEGs?

HEIC file plus a 3 second audio/video component, typically a MOV file in the HEVC format.

Fun fact: I lost hundreds of travel Live Photos back when they launched on the iPhone 6S and Google Photos didn't support them. Always worth pointing out that Google Photos has known limitations when exporting your photos, including stripping EXIF data and not allowing users to download at full resolution.

Never again, Google, never again.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 31, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Can't expect every dirty pirate to want to pay for anything, but yeah, I've been using usenet to automate my entire stack for drat near a decade and I couldn't imagine mucking around on whatever new torrent site is the flavor of the month or whatever. It saturates my 1 Gbps connection and not reliant on somebody else sharing.

I also have Frugal Usenet for $40 a year.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

Mullvad costs $5/mo and it's great. They shut down the port forwarding, but it still works fine without it.

I tried usenet via Frugal a few years ago and the experience sucked. Indexers are awful, I'm not putting my credit card into some sketchy Russian website and I'm sure as hell not buying loving crypto to pay for the privilege of searching for some obscure Linux distro.

Privacy.com
Paypal.com

TraderStav posted:

I've never given any of the indexers my payment information.

I did realize the other day that it's been like 5 years since I set up my indexer sites and have no idea if half are defunct. Hate to start from scratch if all got tits up but so far they're chugging along.

Paid for a Lifetime membership to NZBGeek back in 2015, no complaints, no scary Russian propaganda.
I've had an NZB.su (that SkEtChY Russian site with hammer and sickle favicon) account since 2011.
Drunkenslug has been around for a long time too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 12, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

do you feel comfortable sharing your stack

I've been out of the game for almost a decade

So I do all my media requests through mobile Overseerr/Jellyseerr connected to Plex/Jellyfin + Sonarr + Radarr + Bazarr + Prowlarr, connected to Sabnzbd using Frugal Usenet with NZBGeek and Drunkenslug as indexers, all on unraid. Pretty hands off, my requests download in minutes and Plex refreshes instantly. Throw in Tautulli if you want to monitor Plex streaming among friends.

We also do a lot of streaming account sharing with friends but hard to beat the convenience of Overseerr when it’s so hands off.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 13, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've have had to put some limits in place for specific users so they won't request too many seasons of a tv show or whatever, and a friend of mine requests a lot of kids media so I spun off a "Kids Movie" library and he is smart enough to select the library when he's making his requests.

I also have a library for Live Performances, Live Comedy, Master Class, Anime, and Wrasslin'.

Infuse is great, make sure you get the Test Flight beta so you can use direct library mode for your Plex library and not require a bunch of player-side caching that would often bog Infuse down. Before direct library mode, I would use Plex's native app 90% of the time, and I can't say I've had many issues with anything I've thrown at it, but Infuse is a little better at handling some spatial audio properly - I think it's worth the $10 a year.

I haven't messed with NZBHydra so I can't really comment on how it compares, but I like that Prowlarr updates all my other *arrs indexers and torrents (Anime) and provides advanced statistics for those indexers like successful grabs, response time, etc.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 13, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That's so interesting - I've literally never had any issues with the AppleTV Plex app with my Sonos Arc connected to my Sony TV via eARC with Match Frame Rate turned on. I don't do any tonemap transcoding, though - my TVs all support HDR and my Tautulli stats show I only really transcode when I'm traveling on other devices - ~100 times out of 11,000 total streams.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Do you also pay someone to step on out nuts? This is some real sadist behavior.

Why do people self host e-mail? For privacy purposes? Becuase it's nearly free? I have to imagine most self hosters own a domain or two with really cheap shared hosting plan. I don't pay much on Namecheap.