Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
There's dedicated recipe apps that are probably better, but I do like just having it built into my Nextcloud. I just wish the mobile UI was better, or if it could sync to an app like Paprika.

Hadn't considered using PhotoPrism on top of NC via webdav. Might have to try it. Right now I just use darktable on the desktop to edit and organize and just sync that folder to my Nextcloud, but it's clunky when I want to search later on other devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Karate Bastard posted:

I just set up an rpi with minidlna because I got fed up with spotify. Omg so much better. It's Instant. And bubbleupnp is a great remote control app.

I tried plex in the past. Overwrought imho. One billion features and none of them work. Or has it gotten better?

Can't speak to Plex as I picked Emby back when it more FOSS and they had cheap lifetime licenses. But if you're satisfied with a simple DLNA server there's nothing wrong with that. The main reason to set up a full blown solution like Plex/Jellyfin/Emby is to serve many different clients inside/outside the home. That said, I don't think it's THAT much work to set up as long as your files are organized (in one of the ways the server expects).

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I use TrueNAS' cloud sync tasks to schedule pushes to B2. Easy enough to set up / test / verify. It's just running rclone in the background so it works as well as rclone does. Gave up on obfuscated filenames but encrypted contents works well enough. Not that it really matters but I'm allowed to be as paranoid as I care to be about my Documents

Warbird posted:

Do you still have to cheat a bit to get the cost effective storage for NASs or had that changed?

If you mean shucking external drives, that is still generally the best way but sometimes there's sales that make it close

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'm certainly not an infosec expert but my understanding is that Cloudflare with "SSL/TLS" set to "full" and the CNAME records set to "proxied" will resolve all requests to a Cloudflare IP and obfuscate yours. That's what I'm currently using along with a reverse proxy.

But if you're the only person requiring that external access then like odiv said, WireGuard is ideal.

Yeah, I submitted to the cloudflare overlords. It works, only the cloudflare IP gets exposed. I also use some of their filtering tools to block by country and such.

Inside my network I recently switched to Traefik for a reverse proxy + LE. It was just easiest to use with my container based setup and doesn't seem gross.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Motronic posted:

Immich: search doesn't work. Well, it does for geo only on the app.

PhotoPrism: No user management at all. You need to run one instancer per person to have any sort of seperation.

NextCloud: Try any plugins you want, face/content detection still sucks, searching geotags is mediocre, the web photo broswer is just awful, and I've been entirely unsuccessful getting any supposedly compatible phone app to brows photos in nextcloud that aren't also stored on the phone.

Immich seems to be the best hope. It's really slick and fast. I hope they prioritize search and image/face rec as features.

Yeah, I just have Nextcloud backup my Camera Roll, and then use Darktable or whatever to organize/browse them from there. The Nextcloud Photos is a last resort interface. Nextcloud apps in general are kind of on that level. It works but you don't love it (and sometimes it doesn't work). I hope one of these other apps takes off and I can just mount the existing folders into it.