Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I'm after some deep snabbmat lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

tractor man posted:

Wow you actually found the worst loving swedish buffets :(

The one with the red ball of cheese is a julbord, christmas buffet!

Can buffet and smorgasbord be used interchangeably? Or does groaning board have a more specific use?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Smörgåsbord is literally "sandwich table", but in practice it's more like "bread and things that go on it, and some desserts and maybe some other snacks". I'd say it's a specific kind of buffet?

"Smörgås" is another funny Swedish word. "Smör" is butter (related to "smear", I bet). "Gås" is "goose". Apparently, a butter goose is one of the lumps of butter that floated to the top when you churned your own butter - and those were about the right size for a slice of bread, and it sort of drifted from there to the current "open-faced sandwich" meaning.
A "bord" is a table (or a board, I'm sure there's a connection), so a smörgåsbord is a sandwich table. Or a smeargooseboard.

As for why we find it silly, it's just a "smørbrød" in Norwegian - a butterbread. The closest we get to a smörgåsbord is a koldtbord, literally a "cold table". It typically includes what English would call "cold cuts", so ... I guess?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 21, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Mods please change my name to Smörgåslord

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
One time i went to sweden. I saw a dessert treat called "skumball". made the trip worth it. anyway i'm serious about the snabbmat. somebody clue me in. sweden is the land of snabbmat. what's good. what's bad. snabbmat.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ah, another of those cases where the meanings are close, yet very different. :)
(Scum started out as "that stuff that floats to the top" in both languages, but diverged into "that nasty stuff we discard" in English, and "foam" in the Scandinavian languages. )

I'm not actually Swedish, so I'll leave the snabbmat to the actual Swedes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ok, ok, I'm American, I have no room to judge.
I'm gonna anyway.

"lol A dumped out can of fruit cocktail, bread and breadsticks AND a tub of margarine! LUXURY!!"

ok I got it out of my system.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
snabbmat literally means fast food

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

von Braun posted:

snabbmat literally means fast food

i just like the word to be honest

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Gotse Delchev, Bulgaria

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
More Gotse Delchev

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
And now for a nice Mexican bar and grill. In Bansko, Bulgaria

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Unlinked Gotse? In 2021?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Unlinked Gotse? In 2021?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Aardvark! posted:

Gotse Delchev, Bulgaria

My Slovakian grandmother-in-law would tell the granddaughters to be careful of Bulgarians (pronounced bul-GA-RI-ans). We were kinda confused by this because she never said anything to disparage anyone including bulgarian folks. So one dinner it comes out that when she was living in Slovakia in the 20s, her neighbor had a mother-in-law that was a Bulgarian lady that treated everyone like poo poo. So GIL was trying to warn us about staying away from THIS SPECIFIC LADY that had been dead for probably 80 years at that time.

the emotionally crippling event that is dinner

"Yes, my family has a history of longevity. We attribute this to eating well, plenty of yoghurt included, and our inability to count properly"

I do too, forlorn looking building, I do too.
fake edit: it looks like the sign might say BBC instead of BBQ and I'm fine with it eiather way.

I would try this for sure but I often prefer my roast without a head but that is because I'm a filthy Swamp Yankee from the US.

Aardvark! posted:

Sure, why not? A good time is a good time!

Absolutely would

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just across the border from Bulgaria,

Vinica, Macedonia actually they're called North Macedonia now because of Greek rage but w/e

permanently closed and no other pics :rip:

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Aardvark! posted:

Ahh yes, that classic Mexican cocktail, the pine mojito.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I once went to a Macedonian restaurant on Miami beach with a coworker from Macedonia and he put like a thousand dollars on the company card for 6 of us. I miss getting wasted with that guy and his extremely European shirts and ways.

From my experience, the food is going to be big piles of meat in the middle of the table with some breaded stuff, sausages, fried potatoes of various shapes, and delicious Ajvar to put on everything.

So let's see what a real Macedonian restaurant meal looks like.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

This makes me uncomfortable

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Play posted:

This makes me uncomfortable

I'm horny too

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Man I wish we had this kind of dining culture, "family style"
How much fun is that? Food in the table for everyone to share, friends together, dog just coming up to say hello and hopeful for a snack

Macedonian food rules

Fake edit: do we know if there is a significance to the food clothes-line with some of these meals?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Argentina. All one restaurant. Disclaimer that I'm just posting things I find to be particularly Foreign, not necessarily the good or the bad!!!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Strong Dad energy, it trancends place and culture.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'll just note that in Norway, that cubed carrot / green pea / corn mix is sold frozen in bags as "American mix". I think I've got a bag in the freezer. The yellow mayo or bearnaise or whatever it's mixed with is, uh, less immediately familiar.

Also, I promise I'll get back to this thread myself - in an unusual turn of events, I've actually had a lot to do at work lately.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I realized I don't know anything about how Russia is split up, so today I'm going to look at an entire Oblast. Actually, I'm going to look at a Krai (край) which is apparently equivalent to an Oblast the same way Pennsylvania is a "Commonwealth".

quote:

According to the Russian Constitution, the Russian Federation consists of republics, krais, oblasts, cities of federal importance, an autonomous oblast and autonomous okrugs, all of which are equal subjects of the Russian Federation.

[...]

Kamchatka Krai is an active volcanic zone which is home to Kluchevskaya, the largest volcano in Eurasia, and the Decade Volcanoes of Avachinsky and Koryaksky.

Kamchatka Krai, show me your secrets

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm glad my posting is so well respected in Bulgaria that they've got signs for me.
One day I will come, my friends.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

lotta reviews for a supermarket :thunk:

You can walk through some of it virtually, I guess the second floor is basically a mall?
https://goo.gl/maps/5djwd6tNYAtwXkx78

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

like a ton of those are now failing to load for me even after clearing cache and I dunno why :/

I feel like I'm owed the chance to say "Wow you Americans sure just eat a lot of MEAT all the time doncha" *while giving the literal evil eye to that Bulgarian spread* "...oh really?"
But I know that what we see in these threads ain't representative of what goes down every single day for people. See, I'm a discerning and learn-ed man of the world, goons you'd do well to emulate me in all ways.

e: Yes. Yes. The dude in the red shirt and blue tracks with the aviators. I can feel my slavic blood calling out to him across the aeons.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 19, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the Google servers do that every once in a while, usually clears up in 10 or 15 minutes. :iiam:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

always wear protection

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Much of that looks quite nice.

However, uh, does not.

e: the mussel on the plate in back looks particularly plump and nice and I am a sucker for those, however.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 19, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Big Beef City posted:

Much of that looks quite nice.

However, uh, does not.

I'm guessing kids' menu.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I love the festive old-fashioned Soviet flag.

Also, that's a goddamned Hesburger. They're the largest burger chain in Finland, and my impression is that they're fine but not much more. I'm vaguely aware that they've expanded into other countries, but I did not expect to see one out in the outer reaches of nothing, Russia.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's been a moment, but let's continue our look at Ushuaia - still the southernmost city of the world, at the tip of Argentina. I'm picking a few random places that are not restaurants, this time.

First off, El Quincho - wiktionary has a quincho as "a barbecue area in a kitchen". It's a house with a kitchen you can rent for events - and a neat slice of life. I'm skipping a lot of happy kids, fwiw.

Moving on, to the other side of the city, let's go even more public: Plaza Jardin El Mirador - "Plaza garden with a view", if I'm not mistaken? It's quite pretty, and full of lupins.

I think I'll poke around a few tourist spots outside the city proper, and then move somewhere else entirely.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In the first post, I mentioned there's a railway. The Southern Fuegian Railway, popularly known as El Tren del fin del Mundo (the train at the end of the world), is the southernmost railway in the world. It opened in 1909 to ship building materials to the jail that the city was (partially) founded around. The jail closed in 1947, and there was a massive earthquake in 1949, but the line was reopened ... and then closed again in 1952. It reopened in 1994 as a luxury tourist line.

It's a narrow gauge line, 7 km (4.3 miles) long, with three stops: one just outside the city on the same side as the airport, one in a valley by a waterfall, and further into a national park. Continuing a trend, it's rather pretty:

And with that, I think we'll leave South America for a bit.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

he is tired of your poo poo.

Are these Critters? From the hit sci-fi movie Critters anthology?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

blight rhino posted:

Are these Critters? From the hit sci-fi movie Critters anthology?

I was thinking maybe they are some kind of badger? I hope they are not baby bears.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

The supermarket posted a while ago is a dream come true for me

Computer Viking posted:

Beautiful