Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Problem description: So I spent an hour between being on hold and with Windows Tech Support, letting some goober remote into this dinky rear end desktop my mom has, to no avail. She uses Hotmail. Only Hotmail. And today after using it for a while, her Hotmail now will not open any mail.

I mean it will let you click an email, read or unread, open, but the page says there are connectivity issues and nothing can be displayed. Cannot open the junk mail, or send any mail.

Only happens in Chrome. Not Chrome Incognito or MS Edge. The tech support dude searched around via remote and found nothing, other than some idea to "reset Chrome" while he hovered the cursor over the uninstall button.

Short of reinstalling Chrome, is there anything else to try? This is just the web based Outlook, not anything tied to Office. And every other website loads and runs fine, even all of her Facebook Candy Crush ripoff games.

Attempted fixes: Log in and out of Hotmail, restart computer, clear cache in Chrome multiple times. Tech support remoted in and seemed to randomly click about but I didn't see him actively change anything.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?: No. Mom is not computer literate at all.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: ACEPC AK1 Mini PC, Windows 10 (64-bit) Intel Celeron Apollo Lake J3455 Processor(up to 2.3GHz) Desktop Computer,4GB DDR3/64GB eMMC,2.4G+5G Dual WiFi,G I got this thing on Amazon two years ago. They don't sell it anymore.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
you can try going to hotmail.com and click the lock next to the location bar in Chrome and choose -> site settings -> reset permissions.

also make sure she didn't install any weird extensions.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
I give this about a 2% chance of working but if you haven't already tried disabling chrome hardware acceleration, that has fixed a lot of issues for me at work. Settings > advanced from triple dot menu on the upper right of chrome.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The drat thing came back without any sign of what was wrong.

Sadly she still refuses to move onto Gmail.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W10 and Chrome are both fully updated.

You could also do a full virus scan at some point.