Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For some reason 37 years after the release of this legendary city pop (shiti poppu) song they made a music video for it. Haven't been this excited since chinese democracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_lC2O1oIew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
oh cool

this is that song that won the algorithm lottery and started appearing in millions of people's youtube feeds and blew up from there right?
I never actually sat down and listened to it. it's fine

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I got lucky and made myself sick of this song before the Trunp admin but i did take the time to watch a music theory guy break down what makes this song catchy. It was a nice time. Also, "shiti poppu?" What's going on there?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
First time listener, I can immediately see (er, hear) the appeal. It at first sounds like a more recent song trying to sound vintage while simultaneously knowing it really is vintage, and it produces this feeling like a genuine new iteration of the past, which is the nostalgia dream right there. It definitely helps that it's in a subgenre outside of the west, which makes it a little harder to place, like it was made in "198X."

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I've listened to dozens of City Pop compilations and I am pretty sure they only ever made like five or so songs in that genre. Either that or all the songs are extremely similar. Or people suck at making compilations.

Or Hitler is back.

But those are the ONLY possibilities.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

First time listener, I can immediately see (er, hear) the appeal. It at first sounds like a more recent song trying to sound vintage while simultaneously knowing it really is vintage, and it produces this feeling like a genuine new iteration of the past, which is the nostalgia dream right there. It definitely helps that it's in a subgenre outside of the west, which makes it a little harder to place, like it was made in "198X."

Thank you for explaining the entire reason de etre verbatim otherwise no one could ever have understood

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

(shiti poppu)

I laughed because I'm 5 years old

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I got lucky and made myself sick of this song before the Trunp admin but i did take the time to watch a music theory guy break down what makes this song catchy. It was a nice time. Also, "shiti poppu?" What's going on there?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gairaigo

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i listened but I didn't enjoy it sorry op

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Here you go OP, ponder what could have been and what still could be https://youtu.be/mPGhgs1mv4M

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mooey Cow posted:

I've listened to dozens of City Pop compilations and I am pretty sure they only ever made like five or so songs in that genre. Either that or all the songs are extremely similar. Or people suck at making compilations.

Or Hitler is back.

Yeah nobody in Japan cares about city pop. I think someone just made up the genre.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

welcome to like 6 years ago

pretty soon these same people are going to discover ride on time and lose their poo poo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mooey Cow posted:

Or Hitler is back.

It's pretty one note I guess.

Plastic Love is buttcheeks.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Epically boring song I listened to like 30 seconds

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I only listen to my favorite video game OSTs

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

My favorite least favorite city pop is Robert Tepper's "Angel of the City" from Cobra, which I have seen at least twenty times if you count being mentally unavailable during many forgettable scenes.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Finally a song for me, the owner of a Real Doll.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

My least favorite favorite is Gregg Allman's "I'll Be Holding On" from Ridley Scott's globetrotting epic crime thriller Black Rain, featuring Michael Douglas as Nick "Sly" Stallone. It was very unfortunately timed because that was the same year the documentary Black Rain came out and although technically both did address the aftereffects of the atomic bombs, for Mr. Scott it was more of a plot point about a Macguffin driving home how Michael Douglas' character got to punch the esteemed Yusuke Matsuda's character so hard he later died. It was several months later, of bladder cancer, so no charges were filed. In a strange twist of fate, many moons later Michael Douglas would reveal he himself had gotten mouth cancer from oral sex, and when asked who from, he was reported to have stared at a sharpened wood stake to the right of the interviewer's chair.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah nobody in Japan cares about city pop. I think someone just made up the genre.

it's just what they called japan-made adult contemporary for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6b_lSQst0