Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
God created Man but he didn't invent toilet paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Casey Finnigan posted:

99.9% of American men cannot wipe their own rear end

This is true, I learned it from Internet

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

sleeptalker posted:

Aren't they supposed to learn how to be a functional human being from their parents or something? What's going on there?
It depends on which parental influences dominate their upbringing:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It depends on which parental influences dominate their upbringing:

This Punnett square sucks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why do all these toddlers keep trying to gently caress me

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i like when folks on twitter tell on themselves about dating gross unfuckable people and expect it to be a universal experience

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

women love to say stuff like “so I dated this guy who didn’t shower but just periodically rinsed with toilet water. his only hobby was shoveling the garden. he was nonverbal with my friends and just stared at their tits. We were together four years until he fatally ate a sandwich too quickly “

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
you guys are just jealous that the dirty-assed toddler men are getting more play than you

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smdh. in the feminism thread. do better.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

smdh. in the feminism thread. do better.
not all men

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

yes I am a man. But I am the son of a mother. The nephew of an aunt. the coworker of Janet, who I’m just trying to be nice to.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Best Friends posted:

yes I am a man.

Are you sure?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

wracked with confusion until I sit down on the bus. I confirm that I can spread my legs across both seats with ease, and am assured.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

tokin opposition posted:

I Had To Make Some rear end in a top hat Better To Tolerate Being Around Him And All I Got From It Was Being Called A Controlling Bitch, Again

skill issue

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

I Had To Make Some rear end in a top hat Better To Tolerate Being Around Him

i don't get this at all. is it that hard to just find someone you can tolerate from the jump? why put the time in?

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I can fix him.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i don't get this at all. is it that hard to just find someone you can tolerate from the jump? why put the time in?

Because people get invested in other people before it becomes obvious they're dipshits, and because if you dumped his rear end you'd just have to do the same for the next guy

Straight women put up with a lot of bullshit straight men never do.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

menn! MENMN!!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

Because people get invested in other people before it becomes obvious they're dipshits, and because if you dumped his rear end you'd just have to do the same for the next guy

idk sounds like "i can fix this stupid hottie" is common to all genders and sexualities

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Son of Sorrow posted:

menn! MENMN!!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Son of Sorrow posted:

menn! MENMN!!

Oh how I hate them

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

tokin opposition posted:

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

love to find me a good Project to settle down with

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hey now, women are also capable of raising their children while neglecting to teach them basic life skills. And then blaming them for it!

Though I do wonder if it's a thing where lovely rear end in a top hat women will end up mostly dating manchildren because they're the only ones who'll put up with her bullshit. Certainly see the phenomenon on the other end, even Bojack Horseman called it out where best case scenario with age gap relationships; 'They grew up and you didn't'.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

love to find me a goon Project to settle down with

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

tokin opposition posted:

getting rid of home ec classes was a mistake
it was the only place a lot of kids would learn how to cook & other simple life skills and then it got clipped without anything to cover that cadre so they basically go feral

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FirstnameLastname posted:

getting rid of home ec classes was a mistake
it was the only place a lot of kids would learn how to cook & other simple life skills and then it got clipped without anything to cover that cadre so they basically go feral

I've said it a bunch of times before but a lot of suburban kids aren't so much raised as kept alive and vaguely presentable with consumer electronics thrown at them by disinterested parents to keep them quiet, and no wonder they get loving weird, they have literally nothing else to do with their time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said it a bunch of times before but a lot of suburban kids aren't so much raised as kept alive and vaguely presentable with consumer electronics thrown at them by disinterested parents to keep them quiet, and no wonder they get loving weird, they have literally nothing else to do with their time.

I started out like that

Then the abuse started

I'm Normal

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

College basketball superstar Caitlin Clark is set to soar to new heights in the WNBA — but her rookie contract means she will pocket a fraction of the millions her male counterparts have made on the court.

Clark, the University of Iowa legend who has already made history as NCAA Division I basketball’s overall top scorer, sealed a contract with the Indiana Fever after she was selected as the No. 1 overall pick in the WNBA draft Monday.

Clark will earn $338,056 over four years, according to the WNBA’s collective bargaining agreement.

Under the 2024 WNBA rookie scale for the No. 1-4 draft picks, she'll earn a base salary of $76,535 for her first year, $78,066 the second year and $85,873 the third, with a fourth-year option of $97,582.

Despite Clark’s unprecedented star power, her salary is a sliver of the eye-popping amount male athletes make in the NBA.

WNBA draft picks No. 2-4 — Stanford’s Cameron Brink, who went to the Los Angeles Sparks, South Carolina’s Kamilla Cardoso, with the Chicago Sky, and Tennessee’s Rickea Jackson, also with the Sparks — will make the same pay as Clark.

For comparison, San Antonio Spurs rookie star Victor Wembanyama — the No. 1 pick in last year’s NBA draft — secured a $55 million four-year contract under which he pocketed $12.1 million in his first season, according to the athlete contract tracker Spotrac.

A WNBA spokesperson said Wednesday that the $76,000 sum is just a part of what Clark will make in the league.

“Caitlin Clark stands to make a half million dollars or more in WNBA earnings this coming season, in addition to what she will receive through endorsements and other partnerships, which has been reported to already exceed $3 million," the league spokesperson said.

Beyond the rookie base scale salary, she'll also make earnings through league and team marketing agreements.

Though Clark is likely to rake in much more through endorsements and sponsorships, outrage simmered on social media over the glaring salary disparity between the WNBA and the NBA.

Hoda Kotb, host of NBC’s “TODAY” show, said Tuesday morning: “They’ve already sold out games. She had the highest ratings, her teams and the Final Four had the highest ratings — higher than the World Series, higher than the NBA. So I was like, what is she going to get paid? Because finally, you can get a real paycheck. Then I saw it and was like, this can’t be right.”

Co-host Jenna Bush Hager added: “Honestly the gap is so jarring. ... We’re talking about equal pay. That ain't even close.”

They said things are likely to change in the future as games have already sold out and viewership, which has historically lagged behind the NBA, has soared, partly on account of Clark’s celebrity.

President Joe Biden said on social media Tuesday, "Women in sports continue to push new boundaries and inspire us all."

"But right now we’re seeing that even if you’re the best, women are not paid their fair share," he said. "It’s time that we give our daughters the same opportunities as our sons and ensure women are paid what they deserve."

Male athletes also chimed in.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Russell Wilson shared a post about Clark's pay on X, adding: “These ladies deserve so much more … Praying for the day.”

One user wrote on X, “To the people saying it doesn’t matter what Caitlin Clarks salary is because she will be making millions through endorsement, it actually does matter.”

Another wrote, “Presumably she’ll make bank on endorsements but Caitlin Clark’s WNBA salary is less than that of a union nurse, teacher, or cop.”

Journalist Lisa Ling wrote on Instagram: “Steph Curry makes more per game than what Caitlin Clark is making for 4 years! With the toll sports and travel take on women’s bodies, is this even a living wage? I know WNBA games have not brought in comparable numbers by any stretch of the imagination, but this is disgraceful. Do better for all of our women athletes!”

There are some key differences, though, with the leagues. The WNBA plays a shorter 40-game, four-month season compared the to NBA’s six months. The NBA has also existed longer (and has more teams) and is now finishing its 78th season, while the WNBA is in its 28th.

A big chunk of the money behind the game comes from media rights. The NBA’s national media deals see the league cash in $2.8 billion this year, while the WNBA will make around $65 million this year for its media rights.

The fight for more equitable pay in women’s basketball has been a long one.

“From a salary standpoint, it’d be great for the women to be able to make more money,” WNBA legend Lisa Leslie said in a conversation with fellow basketball stars LeBron James and Draymond Green on an October 2022 episode of “The Shop: Uninterrupted.”

“It’s a lot of work — it’s a lot of hard work. I think I saw something that said one player that makes maybe $12 million on an NBA team can cover the whole WNBA’s salaries. And so that’s kind of crazy,” she added.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at the $2500 year-over-year raise

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Son of Sorrow posted:

menn! MENMN!!

mememememe

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Majorian posted:

mememememe

Yeah that's the thought process for all men, everywhere, all the time

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
It's true, I just checked and it's what I'm thinking right now.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

College basketball superstar Caitlin Clark is set to soar to new heights in the WNBA — but her rookie contract means she will pocket a fraction of the millions her male counterparts have made on the court.

Doesn't the WNBA make a fraction of what the NBA makes? Or does the WNBA make huge amounts of money that middle-men are pocketing and not giving it to the women who deserve it? If that is the case then of course these women are paid too little and the revenue of their sports league should be distributed more equitably. This seems like some razor sharp issue that some people can focus on at the exclusion of wider examples of inequality, poverty, deprivation, and what not and et cetera.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
There's a meme going around about "would you rather be in the woods with a man or a bear?" And it's like, I get it. Dudes are horrible predatory monsters. So what exactly do you expect them to do about it? The ones who suck aren't going to change, and the ones who pick up the message probably picked up the message sometime before 2024, one would imagine. So, I'm a cis white het male. Do I just kill myself or what? It's very obviously all men, after all- we established in 2018 that if you say "Not All Men," you're the problem. My wife makes about 3x what I do, I grew up in a household where my mother was the breadwinner, I work at a woman owned small business and my boss is the best boss I've ever had, and I'm the lone male employee.

What's the endgame for "all men are wild rabid animals, you get what you deserve, pigs?"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

There's a meme going around about "would you rather be in the woods with a man or a bear?"

whoever came up with this evidently never watched the revenant

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Male bear = vicious man-eating beast
Female bear = girl boss mom just defending her babies

Grimnarsson posted:

Doesn't the WNBA make a fraction of what the NBA makes? Or does the WNBA make huge amounts of money that middle-men are pocketing and not giving it to the women who deserve it? If that is the case then of course these women are paid too little and the revenue of their sports league should be distributed more equitably. This seems like some razor sharp issue that some people can focus on at the exclusion of wider examples of inequality, poverty, deprivation, and what not and et cetera.
The WNBA seems to be running up against the issue that they made a 10-year collective bargaining agreement when the league was like a PR stunt for the NBA, but now it's actually seeing massive year-on-year growth. Like, revenue more than tripled 2022 to 2023 alone. Apparently the league does have a revenue sharing mechanism equivalent to that of the NBA (50% of total revenue), if the league hits a revenue target, which it hasn't yet.

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

What's the endgame for "all men are wild rabid animals, you get what you deserve, pigs?"
Question: Do you think this is all women saying that stuff? Are those women necessarily that far off in their social circles? Kinda seems like the radicalization some men are going through would lead to greater divergence in male groups/environments, which could manifest as the above essentially being true for women who are unable or unwilling to try their luck in a less toxic swamp.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

There's a meme going around about "would you rather be in the woods with a man or a bear?" And it's like, I get it. Dudes are horrible predatory monsters. So what exactly do you expect them to do about it? The ones who suck aren't going to change, and the ones who pick up the message probably picked up the message sometime before 2024, one would imagine. So, I'm a cis white het male. Do I just kill myself or what? It's very obviously all men, after all- we established in 2018 that if you say "Not All Men," you're the problem. My wife makes about 3x what I do, I grew up in a household where my mother was the breadwinner, I work at a woman owned small business and my boss is the best boss I've ever had, and I'm the lone male employee.

Who gives a poo poo what anyone says. If you're in a happy relationship, have a nice job that's not intolerable, then that's all that matters. If that is not the case however, well I don't know what to tell you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Most American men are seriously out of shape. You can probably outrun them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At this point it seems like it should be obvious how much the entirety of patriarchal culture is to make men as insecure, neurotic and emotionally immature as possible, and the only pushback that's getting any traction is that they're the wrong kind of insecure, neurotic and emotionally immature.

Majorian posted:

Most American men are seriously out of shape. You can probably outrun them.

Also this. And then they'll provide large amounts of sustenance.