Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Janice Raymond got rejected by a trans woman and wrote both a dissertation and a book to cope lmao

i'm hoping i can find an actual public source for this so i can cite it in my final paper this semester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

for a non shitpost itt it should be said that like economics, unless it's marxist, feminism is just hot takes and astrology for... well, people who like astrology

I got Federici's Revolution at Point Zero a while ago from a Verso ebook sale and thought it was a pretty excellent collection. Keep in mind I'm very dumb but it make me stop and reconsider what the means of production actually means and what the reproduction of labor, especially in terms of literal reproduction, family care, housework, elder care, etc etc, entails. I'd love further marxist feminist recs if you've got em.

Try Nancy Fraser's Justice Interruptus next, it's about finding a way to balance feminist "identity politics" and the class-based criticisms of marxism. Just read it for class this week and it was great.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pingui posted:

In my untrained eye, fourth wave is just repackaged 2nd wave + hashtags. Largely driven by 2nd wavers like Hillary and people in that orbit. It mostly concerns itself with shattering the glass ceiling for the upper class women.

I can tell that your eye is untrained, yes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Yeah I would call RBG and Hillary 2nd wavers who happen to still be prominent in the 21st-century US because the US is a gerontocracy. If fourth-wave turns out to be a new thing rather than an iteration of third-wave, my understanding is that it's still far too new to be reflected in the upper ranks of institutional power.

Kamala’s age and race make her maybe the beneficiary of 3rd wave feminism. AOC for sure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ash Crimson posted:

https://twitter.com/JaneFae/status/1463129559449100299?t=YFpWcvrrfuv5EgqjlIkj5A&s=19

Terfs love conversion therapy and they're organising against banning it in the uk

they've been doing the same thing in Canada with caWsbar and the like, it's gross from all sides

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems to be a theme with terfs of rapidly making up their own pseudoscience and believing it be true at a rate very similar to crystal woo kooks and other alternative medicine types.

Has anyone tried to push the horse paste as the cure for being trans

No horse piss is the cure for being trans already, they can use the rest of the horse for other ills

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
finally feelin up to doing some stuff for my MA

gonna read helene cixous, all is gonna be fuckin rad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

*hot takeishly* Janice Raymond was right about the medical empire distilling gender down to a medical procedure and being very lovely and sexist (as of 1970 whatever), but being the Mother TERF blames it on the wrong people (trans people)

and we've all been suffering since.

(don't read transsexual empire)

do you have a page citation for this, out of curiosity?

e: like i'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk or anything, i'm gonna need to read the transsexual empire for my MA thesis and that sounds like a good way to approach it for my uses

Arivia has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

uuuuuuuuh no sorry, it's been years. She talks about it all through the book, you'll find it pretty quickly once you get started. Just be aware that she's very vicious, even as a seasonsed TERF reader it can be nasty.

No worries, thank you!