Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
she seemed fairly respectful towards people with gender dysphoria at least

quote:

CONAN: The high price, you had a, well, nervous breakdown, is that too far?

Ms. VINCENT: No, no, no, that's what I say in the book. That's quite fair. I had a, I would say, nervous breakdown. I really went into a terrible depression. And in fact I would add to that, you know, since Reid called in, you know, that I think I also developed a tremendous empathy for transsexuals because I think part of what precipitated that breakdown was also the fact that trying to hold two gender identities in your mind at the same time, it sets up this cognitive dissonance that's really untenable. So, I was sort of doing the reverse, you know, to what transsexuals do. So I remained a woman. My brain was female. I felt that I was a woman very strongly, but I was trying to pass as a man. And that's just a conflict that I couldn't sustain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Arivia posted:

i'm hoping i can find an actual public source for this so i can cite it in my final paper this semester

if you wanna make it in academia it's probably best not to assert the objectively true observation that much of academia is motivated by the petty personal and the brain damage