Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tokin opposition posted:

First wave: let us vote*
Second wave: let us have jobs*
Third wave: let us jerk off
Fourth wave: [Tumblr stuff]

It's literally Tumblr feminism, there's debate in gender studies circles that it really a distinct wave from 3rd, but the fight really has been lost. The worst part of that kind of thinking is that it starts from a decent grounding in third wave feminisms and then it got telephone gamed into "is it racist to have a black headmate"

*White well off cis women only

In my untrained eye, fourth wave is just repackaged 2nd wave + hashtags. Largely driven by 2nd wavers like Hillary and people in that orbit. It mostly concerns itself with shattering the glass ceiling for the upper class women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Arivia posted:

I can tell that your eye is untrained, yes

Yes, that is what I said :confused:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

vyelkin posted:

2nd wave had a lot of biological essentialism in it, like thinking emancipated women would do "women's work" but just wanting care work or education or nursing to be valued more highly, equivalent to fields of work coded as masculine. That biological essentialism is why a lot of 2nd-wavers have become terfs in their old age, because they think being a woman is something innate rather than something culturally constructed, and some of their beliefs reinforce rather than deconstruct patriarchal cultural constructs. the third wave was all about tearing down those cultural constructs and expanding feminism in pretty much every direction: away from white cis middle-class women and towards intersectionality along lines of race, class, gender, sex, based on deconstructing the cultural constructs that try to limit what men and women can and can't do or be.

I'm not really sure what 4th wave is, but it's definitely not just repackaged 2nd wave. It's more like 3rd wave on steroids fueled by social media algorithms.

It is probably the lack of definition that gets me there and that these things seem largely defined in American terms. From an outside US perspective fourth wave appears heavily enmeshed in Dems vs Reps, with RBG, Hillary (which I understand to be 2nd wavers?) etc. as the ideal. Or maybe that isn't fourth wave at all?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Orange Devil posted:

People innately have very, very poor intuition about probabilities. Even if you learn how the probabilities in poker work and do all the proper math, you still end up with a lot of people having that feeling that they "shouldn't" lose a hand in which they are 90-10 favoured, even though that means 10% of the time they lose. And 10% represents an event that will occur quite frequently. So, sure, the player winning the 10% game gets lucky, but then, so technically does the player winning the 49% game. But the latter feels very different to people. Then on top of that comes faulty pattern recognition such that people are way better at remembering all the times they lost to the 10% odds versus all the times they won the 10% odds, let alone all the times they won the 90% odds.

You see the same thing when people complain about the RNG in a game like Xcom or a shuffler in a computer card game. The latter is extra funny because you'll see complaints like "I never draw 3x the same card in a row in real life", which is explained by people being bad at shuffling in a way that approaches true randomization and often deliberately spreading copies of the same card around in their decks so that it feels "more random".

Anyway, add in some tits and misogyny and the above can get real spicy.

I don't watch poker, but isn't he pissed at losing on a 47% loss chance?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

It’s not really accurate to say that he’s pissed at losing a coin flip (actually two consecutive flips) because neither of them knew what the odds were at the time. What they both knew is that they didn’t have very good hands.

He tried to bully her with a poo poo hand and a big stack of chips, and it didn’t work. Her almost equally lovely hand prevailed.

It’s a legitimate strategy to force opponents to make that choice, but sometimes they’re going to call you on it, and if you’re not backing it with a decent set of cards, you’re going to lose a lot of those calls.

Right, from his perspective - at the time - he lost a 90% loss chance. But he certainly didn't have an - either believed or actual - 90% chance of winning. If I understand the percentages in the bottom right correctly :shrug: