Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

When your opponent stacks the box when you're ripping them up in the running game, it doesn't pull LBs from coverage and open the passing game.

Alsowhile Play Action isn't important. It's called Play Action because boi you best be playing if you think it matters. Furthermost,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The math says running backs don't matter and who knows football better then fellow sleep deprived nerds who never leave their parents basement?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

sweet thursday posted:

Thank God you're just a mod for the book barn.

Wait a minute...

Play Action is successful regardless of how effective your running game is.

I'm not sure why you think this is such a hot take, there have been plenty of articles written about establishing the run to pass not being a real thing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the pass sets up the run but you can't run from your passed

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Amazing running backs haven't been relevant since the extinction of the fullback.

Defenses are too fast and athletic for running backs to be lockdown world beaters in the nfl. Ironically the best backs this day in age are the big bruisers that batter the poo poo out of defenses because you can't outrun defenses anymore.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Not going to stand for Frank Gore erasure. Tell Meredith to clear my afternoon, I'm about to get reckless

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Play Action is successful regardless of how effective your running game is.

I'm not sure why you think this is such a hot take, there have been plenty of articles written about establishing the run to pass not being a real thing

Defenses have plays packages for run pass distance and just about any given situation. Making your opponent respect the run is about forcing the opponent to call their run packages their run blitzs etc. When you can force your opponent to play a certain way its much easier to do whatever it is you want to do because you can more easily predict what's going to happen on the other side. This is a very real thing and it's a very powerful thing and it has very little to do with playaction

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

sweet thursday posted:

Alsowhile Play Action isn't important. It's called Play Action because boi you best be playing if you think it matters. Furthermost,

Lmao i do not know why this hit my funny bone so hard but it did

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Eye test is more important than so-called "advanced analytics" change my mind

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hot Diggity! posted:

Counterpoint: PFF manages to be worse then everything short of QBR.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kalli posted:

because when they say “eye” test they mean it in the literal singular sense. they have to be watching multiple people per play to assign grades to and they only watch each play once (iirc an interview I read) so they can get grades out immediately. so like a guy will have to grade the entire OL based on seeing the game and one look at all 22 and another guy has to grade all the WRs. so each player is only getting .2-.33 of an eye per play.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Metapod posted:

Defenses have plays packages for run pass distance and just about any given situation. Making your opponent respect the run is about forcing the opponent to call their run packages their run blitzs etc. When you can force your opponent to play a certain way its much easier to do whatever it is you want to do because you can more easily predict what's going to happen on the other side. This is a very real thing and it's a very powerful thing and it has very little to do with playaction

I understand what you are saying, but the numbers say otherwise. I think it largely comes down to whether you believe in advanced stats or not

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/964205150540877824

Running has it's uses, but it isn't to make passing easier or to be the focal point of your offense.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A good running game is priceless since it gives you a greater degree of control over the clock.

Problem is, that's only useful if you're ahead.:v:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sweet thursday posted:

Not going to stand for Frank Gore erasure. Tell Meredith to clear my afternoon, I'm about to get reckless

:hai:

Fullbacks also need to make a comeback.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don’t remember who said it probably former Chiefs standout safety Sabby Piscatelli but there are 3 things that can happen when your QB drops back to pass and 2 of them are bad

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Hot Diggity! posted:

well if you would just crunch the numbers I think youll find that analytics based strategies have been 65% more effective than no strategy at all, ranked no worse than 7th in ERA over the period from 2013-2020 if you exclude the month of January, and then when you stack up the PEMDAS against the EPA its actually been more efficient than knowing the future ahead of time,

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Kalli posted:

That's because they try to turn the eye test into advanced analytics. The eye test is simply "does this player look good." If a player looks good more than not, they're a good player by the eye test. Good players can have bad games. PFF tries to apply that to every single down in a vacuum and make a grade of a player's overall quality based upon that. It's stupid and a waste of everybody's time.

The "rule of cool" also has no place in analytics, which makes it pointless.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

fartknocker posted:

:hai:

Fullbacks also need to make a comeback.

linebackers have gotten smaller and fullbacks are more useful than ever right now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

A good running game is priceless since it gives you a greater degree of control over the clock.

Remember this gem

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200909210mia.htm

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nodoze posted:

I understand what you are saying, but the numbers say otherwise. I think it largely comes down to whether you believe in advanced stats or not

Running has it's uses, but it isn't to make passing easier or to be the focal point of your offense.

This is based on QBR which is an awful stat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sour Diesel posted:

linebackers have gotten smaller and fullbacks are more useful than ever right now

fullbacks have gotten smaller too though. in fact many positions are suffering from this, look at Kyler Murray

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

Amazing running backs haven't been relevant since the extinction of the fullback.

Defenses are too fast and athletic for running backs to be lockdown world beaters in the nfl. Ironically the best backs this day in age are the big bruisers that batter the poo poo out of defenses because you can't outrun defenses anymore.

Taylor routinely out runs defenses.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

I don’t remember who said it probably former Chiefs standout safety Sabby Piscatelli but there are 3 things that can happen when your QB drops back to pass and 2 of them are bad
This is a pretty old football maxim iirc. I read a while back it originated in college back in the 60s or 70s.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Shinjobi posted:

A strong running game is the only way to count out touchdown tom

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I had a chance to go to that game but missed it because of school, and I’ll forever regret that cause it turned out hilarious.

The other side of time of possession chat is Super Bowl XXV, but that was also paired with a brilliant defensive game plan that was extremely well executed, and it still barely worked out for a whole bunch of reasons beyond Wide Right.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

At the end of the day breaking off a big run is Cool As Heck and for that reason alone it should stay a part of the game.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If you think about it all passes less than 10 yards should be illegal

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Asproigerosis posted:

If you think about it all passes less than 10 yards should be illegal

There should be no "incompletions," if the pass hits the ground it's a fumble.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Only backwards passes allowed. Rugby, but with helmets.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is a pretty old football maxim iirc. I read a while back it originated in college back in the 60s or 70s.

Woody Hayes is the story I always heard, which would be amusing because he went out because he punched an opposing player for intercepting a pass. (among other things, he was a sweet guy)

quote:

On December 29, 1978, the Buckeyes played in the Gator Bowl against Clemson. Late in the fourth quarter, Clemson was leading Ohio State 17–15. Freshman quarterback Art Schlichter managed to get Ohio State into field goal range. On third and 5 at the Clemson 24-yard line with 2:30 left and the clock running, Hayes called a pass rather than a run, because Schlichter was having a great game up to that point. Schlichter's next pass was intercepted by Clemson nose guard Charlie Bauman, who returned it toward the Ohio State sideline, where he was run out of bounds. After Bauman stood up facing the OSU sideline Hayes punched him in the throat, triggering a bench-clearing brawl.

It could have also been Darrel Royal who was quoted in an article saying it in 1962. He was a longtime Texas coach way back when, but looking it up briefly he seems to attribute him saying it to quoting Hayes. I don't know. It's definitely old though.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Metapod posted:

That is such an incredibly ignorant thing to say lmfao

Hey what's Derek Henry up to right now?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Pron on VHS posted:

this is an old maxim but also dumb bc the same 3 possibilities apply to runs as well

- gain
- loss/no gain
- turnover

And honestly if you think about it every offensive play has the same possible outcomes and I’d make it 5 possibilities

- gain
- no gain
- loss
- turnover
- penalty

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 24, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Elite RB's are great, in that they either add pure power to wear out defenses and prevent the defense from focusing on the pass, like Henry and Chubb, or they're basically secondary WR's that give their QB more flexibility in the pass game, like CMC and Kamara.

Hell, you want to see the difference an elite RB can make, just compare the Titans offense from before and after Henry went out. Defenses were worried about one person on the offense balling out, and it certainly wasn't loving Tannehill.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Elite RB's are great, in that they either add pure power to wear out defenses and prevent the defense from focusing on the pass, like Henry and Chubb, or they're basically secondary WR's that give their QB more flexibility in the pass game, like CMC and Kamara.

Hell, you want to see the difference an elite RB can make, just compare the Titans offense from before and after Henry went out. Defenses were worried about one person on the offense balling out, and it certainly wasn't loving Tannehill.

All of their WR are hurt. They had to sign a guy off the street to play this weekend

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't know what the actual injury rates vs other positions are but it does feel like there's a lot of all-world RBs over the year who get a major leg injury and never get back to that level again.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mega64 posted:

Ehh there’s honestly not a ton of evidence that they improve the passing game. Their main value is that it’s another tool in your offensive toolkit and when your QB isn’t playing well or just sucks it’s incredibly useful to have any other possible generator of offense.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nodoze posted:

lol this is total trash

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Ben Baldwin is the most wrong dork since Cian Fahey

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

A Team Needs More Than One Good Guy by Ace McNutts is pretty much the first and last book you need to read on the subject of football analytics. It's that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So we’ve decided no running backs in the first round. Good Job everyone