Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The offensive genius behind “run Derrick Henry a lot and call play action passes.”

I said this in the GDT but perhaps Tannehill is the real brains of the operation there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im really not sure what the falcons are supposed to do

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cordarrelle Patterson for MVP.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

FizFashizzle posted:

- Coach Arthur Smith

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

They screwed up this offseason by not just committing to a fire sale and starting over. I know it was a massive dead cap hit to trade Ryan but they should have just bit the bullet and did it anyway. I feel fairly confident in saying they could have worked something out and traded him to the 49ers, and then from there they just sell off whatever is left and start over with Pitts, Ridley and whoever else they drafted this year. Depending on their returns from making deals, it is plausible they could have then traded back up to pick Justin Fields or Mac Jones as they slid down the board without having to dip into next years draft. Sign someone like Fitzmagic or Andy Dalton and sit whatever QB you drafted and then draft/sign an OL this coming draft

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Falcons were slotted for the playoffs two weeks ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nodoze posted:

They screwed up this offseason by not just committing to a fire sale and starting over. I know it was a massive dead cap hit to trade Ryan but they should have just bit the bullet and did it anyway. I feel fairly confident in saying they could have worked something out and traded him to the 49ers, and then from there they just sell off whatever is left and start over with Pitts, Ridley and whoever else they drafted this year. Depending on their returns from making deals, it is plausible they could have then traded back up to pick Justin Fields or Mac Jones as they slid down the board without having to dip into next years draft. Sign someone like Fitzmagic or Andy Dalton and sit whatever QB you drafted and then draft/sign an OL this coming draft

Could you imagine the Falcons with handsome jimmy behind that OL?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

They screwed up this offseason by not just committing to a fire sale and starting over. I know it was a massive dead cap hit to trade Ryan but they should have just bit the bullet and did it anyway.

Someone break down the trade market for Matt Ryan for me.

I'm not being a jerk here, just trying to work out who would have been interested. In retrospect...Panthers (who made their move and are also in division (and all of their fans hate him already) so probably not), Texans? Broncos? Lions I guess but they also had to make their move while they got rid of Stafford. WFT or Eagles or Giants, basically any NFC East team that isn't Dallas. 49ers are intriguing since you know Lance needs a year or two to get his feet under him, that would have been a good landing spot if they didn't just trade a ton of draft picks away.

Oh Steelers is an interesting thought but they don't seem the type. That actually seems like the best match I can find if they were willing to tell Ben to go to hell.

As much as the cap hit would have hurt I think the return on any trade would have been really bad in the end? Which is kinda frustrating for the Falcons, Matt Ryan can still play to some extent, just...not with this team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans would've been a no because they had no first or second this year, surely the Falcons would want immediate draft compensation

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Dropping Ben for Matt Ryan sounds like rearranging deck chairs, etc.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Dropping Ben for Matt Ryan sounds like rearranging deck chairs, etc.

Ryan DEFINITELY has more in the tank left than Ben. I'd say Carolina was probably out, but Denver, the Rams (although they did trade for Stafford kinda early), the Bears, WFT, Philly maybe all would have been options for Atlanta to trade him to.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Could you imagine the Falcons with handsome jimmy behind that OL?

He didn't necessarily have to end up in Atlanta for this, or they just flip him elsewhere afterward. New England may have been a willing trade partner in a three team swap, given that the 49ers kept saying they didn't want to be left with no QB by moving him

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 19, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Someone break down the trade market for Matt Ryan for me.

I'm not being a jerk here, just trying to work out who would have been interested. In retrospect...Panthers (who made their move and are also in division (and all of their fans hate him already) so probably not), Texans? Broncos? Lions I guess but they also had to make their move while they got rid of Stafford. WFT or Eagles or Giants, basically any NFC East team that isn't Dallas. 49ers are intriguing since you know Lance needs a year or two to get his feet under him, that would have been a good landing spot if they didn't just trade a ton of draft picks away.

Oh Steelers is an interesting thought but they don't seem the type. That actually seems like the best match I can find if they were willing to tell Ben to go to hell.

As much as the cap hit would have hurt I think the return on any trade would have been really bad in the end? Which is kinda frustrating for the Falcons, Matt Ryan can still play to some extent, just...not with this team.

The problem is, they've moved so much of his money into bonuses trying to do.... whatever the gently caress they did the last few years, that the dead cap hit if they move him next year is $40m. ($25m SB hit in 2022, $15m from 2023)

If they don't trade him by the 3rd day of the league year (so like March 19th) they owe him $7.5m more.

So to get the Falcons to want to eat all that extra dead cap space you've gotta give them at least like the value of a mid first and then some probably? I think there's a half dozen teams that could talk themselves into Matt Ryan for that but man...

I think even money Matt Ryan sticks around another year and they strip down and try to draft the next guy... if there even is one in next year's draft.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who is the best player who no one would put in the hall of fame? started thinking about that guy who almost got killed, julius jones. then started thinking about the football julius jones and then his brother thomas jones. then this. is thomas jones a good answer? who would you say

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ted Ginn Jr

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Matty Ryan to Miami

call that poo poo Miami Ice

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Matt Ryan

Nov 6, 2002

Cavauro posted:

who is the best player who no one would put in the hall of fame?

Devin McCourty is that type of player.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Devin McCourty is that type of player.

To keep it :patssay: Edelman is right there.

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

To keep it :patssay: Edelman is right there.

No, because there are voters who would put him in the hall.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Big Vince

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

deshaun watson :v:

Nov 6, 2002

Put him in jail.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:yeah:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If the other 31 teams allow the Patriots to get back to the playoffs this year I'll expect a written apology from each of them.

Nov 6, 2002

Phobeste posted:

Big Vince

Also a player who has a legit longshot to make the HoF. So he wouldn't qualify.

Matt Ryan is kinda the perfect answer.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The answer is Matt Ryan

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hope we get the Patriots/Buccs Superbowl the world deserves

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

I hope we get the Patriots/Buccs Superbowl the world deserves

His will be done.
/

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Matthew Slater

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Matt Slater is a lock hall of famer. PS I'm closing this tab

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Phobeste posted:

Big Vince

There are people who would deny Vince Wilfork the HOF? Who are they so I can send them angry memes?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nodoze posted:

I said this in the GDT but perhaps Tannehill is the real brains of the operation there

It's really interesting. The Titans offense is still good even on it's third coordinator in this Shanahan style system that Matt LaFleur installed in 2018, even with Henry hurt. Tannehill is legit very good at operating it.

Worth noting that the 2018 Titans under LaFleur ranked pretty poorly offensively (but had a great defense to keep them afloat). Then they got really good the next year under Smith after LaFleur left for GB. This year may just be growing pains for Arthur Smith to teach the system in ATL.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cavauro posted:

who is the best player who no one would put in the hall of fame? started thinking about that guy who almost got killed, julius jones. then started thinking about the football julius jones and then his brother thomas jones. then this. is thomas jones a good answer? who would you say

Jared Lorenzen :rip:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

It's really interesting. The Titans offense is still good even on it's third coordinator in this Shanahan style system that Matt LaFleur installed in 2018, even with Henry hurt. Tannehill is legit very good at operating it.

Worth noting that the 2018 Titans under LaFleur ranked pretty poorly offensively (but had a great defense to keep them afloat). Then they got really good the next year under Smith after LaFleur left for GB. This year may just be growing pains for Arthur Smith to teach the system in ATL.

There’s only so much you can do when your offensive line and offensive skill position players are that bad. The more worrying thing is that the team just doesn’t look like they know what the gently caress they are doing. Receivers running into each other on routes, illegal formation on a field goal(!!!), 12 men on the field, etc.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

illegal formation on a field goal(!!!)

This has to be an exaggeration.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eifert Posting posted:

Nope. They lost the only points they scored that game because they only had 6 people on the line of scrimmage.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Eifert Posting posted:

It’s the most Falcons series imaginable

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Eifert Posting posted:

If the other 31 teams allow the Patriots to get back to the playoffs this year I'll expect a written apology from each of them.

It’s hard to believe now that he’s not being carried by Tom Brady, but this Belichick guy may actually be a decent coach.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Cavauro posted:

If the past 15 or so years are anything to go by, Ricky Watters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Cavauro posted:

Patrick Willis