Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Who is the last superstar, game changing RB to win a Superbowl?

The position is just not as important as QB or elite pass rusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nodoze posted:

You can get productive running backs anywhere, drafting one at #2 over all is stupid

For every non QB position that statement stands true. There is nothing that can be said about the hb position that cannot be said about every other position. It's so weird that this one position is the one that everyone wants to moneyball when the difference between an average hb and a truly good hb is immense. Like yes you can get latavius murray pretty much anywhere in the draft most likely do you really think latavius murray is a player who can get defenses to respect your run game and help win meaningful games???

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

watching the Ravens this year has definitely helped me the appreciate the value of RBs who are actually good

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

In the last decade the one's who have made it to a super bowl are: Lynch (won/lost), Rice (won) Gurley (lost)

The one's who made it to the conference championship game: Bell, Henry, Kamara, Aaron Jones

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Boo, I wanted discovery

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1463532156379148295

e: not the n/v thread, oh well

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 24, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CLOCK KILLING COREY DILLON

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Metapod posted:

For every non QB position that statement stands true. There is nothing that can be said about the hb position that cannot be said about every other position. It's so weird that this one position is the one that everyone wants to moneyball when the difference between an average hb and a truly good hb is immense. Like yes you can get latavius murray pretty much anywhere in the draft most likely do you really think latavius murray is a player who can get defenses to respect your run game and help win meaningful games???

it's like people really pay attention to late rounders RB who succeed but for some reason don't do the same for other positions

like, Matt Judon was a 5th rounder out of Division II who is a hell of a player so never draft EDGE at #2 I guess

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Who’s the last really elite pass rusher to drag his team to a SB win? Bucs were great across the front but Vea is probably the only really elite guy in that group and he’s in the middle, Chiefs had Clark who is great at his peak but not a top 5-10 type guy over his entire career, the Pats churn thru pass rushers, Brandon Graham had the biggest play for the Eagles that wasn’t the Philly special but I don’t think he’s going top 10 in a redraft, etc

The Bosas haven’t had playoff success, TJ Watt hasn’t been to a SB, JJ at his peak was the best defensive player I’ve seen play live and couldn’t get there. Von is probably the best example, but that entire defense was really good and that was a a bit of an outlier playoff run

If that’s your metric you should only ever draft QB’s in the first round

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 24, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wyoak posted:

Who’s the last really elite pass rusher to drag his team to a SB win? Bucs were great across the front but Vea is probably the only really elite guy in that group and he’s in the middle, Chiefs had Clark who is great at his peak but not a top 5-10 type guy over his entire career, the Pats churn thru pass rushers, Brandon Graham had the biggest play for the Eagles that wasn’t the Philly special but I don’t think he’s going top 10 in a redraft, etc

If that’s your metric you should only ever draft QB’s in the first round

If you’re looking at pass rushers, probably Von Miller in 2015, but aside from him that defense has a bunch of other talented guys as well.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it's more that top drafted RB's are rarely worth it.

Saquon Barkley - injured and underperforming since his rookie year.
Leonard Fournette - lol
Christian McCaffrey - Injured 13 games last year, missed half this year
Ezekiel Elliott - Pretty good, went to a team with 1st rounders up and down the OL. Has regressed as they have.
Todd Gurley - lol
Trent Richardson - double lol
CJ Spiller - lol
Darren McFadden - nope
Adrian Peterson - Hey, here we go.
Reggie Bush - nope
Ronnie Brown - nope
Cedric Benson - nope
Cadillac Williams - nope

20 years of top 10 picks and you've got 2 or 3 hits if you want to be kind? Even the desperation of overdrafting Quarterbacks has a higher hit rate and at least you like make and win playoff games if you hit on those guys.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

only take the best players top 5, and maybe top 10, before lesser players are gotten into

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
As lol as Gurley is now, he was the main reason (well, McVay) that team got to the SB. If he’s healthy and they manage 14 points that game who knows, you might say the pick was worth it

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Nobody is worth a top-10 pick and teams should just trade back.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I mean it's more that top drafted RB's are rarely worth it.

Saquon Barkley - injured and underperforming since his rookie year.
Leonard Fournette - lol
Christian McCaffrey - Injured 13 games last year, missed half this year
Ezekiel Elliott - Pretty good, went to a team with 1st rounders up and down the OL. Has regressed as they have.
Todd Gurley - lol
Trent Richardson - double lol
CJ Spiller - lol
Darren McFadden - nope
Adrian Peterson - Hey, here we go.
Reggie Bush - nope
Ronnie Brown - nope
Cedric Benson - nope
Cadillac Williams - nope

20 years of top 10 picks and you've got 2 or 3 hits if you want to be kind? Even the desperation of overdrafting Quarterbacks has a higher hit rate and at least you like make and win playoff games if you hit on those guys.

And even AP was not enough!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

as the rams learned after todd gurley

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Quiet Feet posted:

Just keep trading until you have the entire 32 1st round and hope you hit on someone worth their position

Or do what the Rams do and never bother with rounds 1 and 2 and keep trading those picks forever

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
CMC was worth his draft slot. Objectively, if there was a redraft he would go about where he was taken.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
We drafted Tomlinson at #5 overall and he never made it to a superbowl. Good pick would 100% draft again

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Draft big ol' hosses and make holes you could get any sized running back through.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

And even AP was not enough!

Brett went Full Favre and then he had to deal with the Christian Ponder Ariel Experience (Also the corpse of :mcnabb: and a blown ACL).

EDIT: Remember the freeing of Joe Webb?

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 24, 2021

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
QB notwithstanding, RB is not really that much different than any other position. I think a big part is people judge RBs almost entirely by highlights and fantasy points, and there are lots of Tyson Williams out there who can move well in the open field and look good in a box score when they get the touches, but on a down-to-down basis in real life they are killing your football team.

People hated the Najee pick, but like, with only 1 pick Najee improves your run game way more than a random lineman or whatever. TFF always wants to draft OL 1st, but you know you can also find mid/late round diamond in the rough types like the Pats do all the time with Mike Onwenu, Joe Thuney, Shaq Mason, Marcus Cannon,

Nov 6, 2002

Magicpants posted:

QB notwithstanding, RB is not really that much different than any other position. I think a big part is people judge RBs almost entirely by highlights and fantasy points, and there are lots of Tyson Williams out there who can move well in the open field and look good in a box score when they get the touches, but on a down-to-down basis in real life they are killing your football team.

People hated the Najee pick, but like, with only 1 pick Najee improves your run game way more than a random lineman or whatever. TFF always wants to draft OL 1st, but you know you can also find mid/late round diamond in the rough types like the Pats do all the time with Mike Onwenu, Joe Thuney, Shaq Mason, Marcus Cannon,

Running backs aren't always the best! It's a team effort!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My view is there are premium positions: QB then pass rushers and tackles, then CB's and WR's, then safeties and TE's, then interior OL, RB's and non-pass rushing LB's.

Yeah there can be a prospect so good you're happy to draft them in the top 5 regardless of position, but depressingly, you'd probably be better off with the average 1st round tackle or pass rusher then a 90th percentile RB.

And quarterbacks ruin everything. Great team, poo poo QB? You're hosed, Good team, mediocre QB? still pretty hosed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Pick 199 should be known as the "Tom Brady Commemorative Pick" and it should be awarded to whoever the top QB remaining is on Mel Kiper's draft board.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

it's like people really pay attention to late rounders RB who succeed but for some reason don't do the same for other positions

like, Matt Judon was a 5th rounder out of Division II who is a hell of a player so never draft EDGE at #2 I guess

Yeah like the entire job of a hb is to take the ball from behind the LoS and out run/power/maneuver 11 people trying to bring you down and there are people out there who think you shouldn't put proper investment into this position because the draft is insanely random absolutely crazy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wow it's <checks card> Luke Falk!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

wyoak posted:

The Bosas haven’t had playoff success

Making the super bowl doesn’t count?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
RB isn’t valued as much bc they have the shortest shelf life of any position. Even if you get a world beater they’ll be around for less time than any other position

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

RB isn’t valued as much bc they have the shortest shelf life of any position. Even if you get a world beater they’ll be around for less time than any other position

I think one thing that will helpfully make cmc unique is that he would be a pretty good slot receiver as is

If they make a decision they can move him to wr permanently/primarily

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

And quarterbacks ruin everything. Great team, poo poo QB? You're hosed, Good team, mediocre QB? still pretty hosed.

The 2000 Ravens would like a word

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Draft Tight ends. They’re like receivers AND offensive line.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Freaquency posted:

The 2000 Ravens would like a word

Exceptions prove the rule

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

If they make a decision they can move him to wr permanently/primarily

I remember this being a talking point way back when he was drafted, but I mostly chalked it up to his last name.

I mean I'm not really disagreeing with you after having seen his career, just I remember that way back then.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I think this is the real issue. There’s no developing an RB like there is a QB because by the time they’re good enough - oops, they’re dead. An RB has a season at the same level of year 1 Josh Allen and you might be already looking ahead to the next guy.

I also think that judging whether or not a position group is important on if a star at that position won the SB is unfair when Tom Brady has won like 40% of the Super Bowls in recent memory.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Draft like 5-10 sumo wrestlers

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
the sneaky move is to load up on long snappers, they can block like a lineman but also toss the ball kind of like a qb

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Metapod posted:

Respecting the run game isn't a real thing, you don't need a good running game to throw the ball successfully

People don't respect running backs anymore because they are literally expendable, like relief pitchers. You ride them to the ground for a couple years and then let them go and have them be someone elses problem. If you hit on a linebacker in the 4th round that turns into a stud you generally don't have to worry about the wheels falling off after three seasons

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That is such an incredibly ignorant thing to say lmfao

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Respecting the run game isn't a real thing, you don't need a good running game to throw the ball successfully
Thank God you're just a mod for the book barn.

Wait a minute...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Gtfo u r ignint