Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Also

Full Name: Joshua Ballinger Lippincott Rosen

This seems fitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The offensive genius behind “run Derrick Henry a lot and call play action passes.”

I said this in the GDT but perhaps Tannehill is the real brains of the operation there

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

im really not sure what the falcons are supposed to do

They screwed up this offseason by not just committing to a fire sale and starting over. I know it was a massive dead cap hit to trade Ryan but they should have just bit the bullet and did it anyway. I feel fairly confident in saying they could have worked something out and traded him to the 49ers, and then from there they just sell off whatever is left and start over with Pitts, Ridley and whoever else they drafted this year. Depending on their returns from making deals, it is plausible they could have then traded back up to pick Justin Fields or Mac Jones as they slid down the board without having to dip into next years draft. Sign someone like Fitzmagic or Andy Dalton and sit whatever QB you drafted and then draft/sign an OL this coming draft

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Dropping Ben for Matt Ryan sounds like rearranging deck chairs, etc.

Ryan DEFINITELY has more in the tank left than Ben. I'd say Carolina was probably out, but Denver, the Rams (although they did trade for Stafford kinda early), the Bears, WFT, Philly maybe all would have been options for Atlanta to trade him to.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Could you imagine the Falcons with handsome jimmy behind that OL?

He didn't necessarily have to end up in Atlanta for this, or they just flip him elsewhere afterward. New England may have been a willing trade partner in a three team swap, given that the 49ers kept saying they didn't want to be left with no QB by moving him

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 19, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Intruder posted:

If Jimmy G were still on the Pats would he be significantly better?

Yes. He's built for the Patriots offense and doesn't really fit with Shanahan that well

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Ramadu posted:

cardinals b*tch

"Neaded"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jamal Adams sucks and they are bag holding the poo poo out of his contract. They got hosed in that deal really bad

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kalli posted:

Yeah, but they're paying him like a star for the next 3 years, so lol.

Yep. RIP

Also I'm pretty sure the Seahawks have also had OL problems for years now. The whole team needs fixing everywhere outside of a couple spots, and if Russ actually does force his way out they are gonna have to put themselves in cap hell and be terrible for a little bit to clean up the mess and start drafting well again

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Pitts would look better if Atlantas OL hadn't turned into a turnstile, Ryan is getting killed out there.

e: Atlanta was "in it" like two weeks ago too.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 22, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He looks fine, good even, and there’s literally no pick Atlanta could have made that would have kept the team from looking like trash because of the above, and also the defense being devoid of talent.

I don't think he's been bad, I just said that because his numbers would look much better if Ryan had more time to throw the ball

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

wandler20 posted:

You know who would've helped that? Penei Sewell or Rashawn Slater.

Has Sewell been good? I haven't had the opportunity to see a lot of Lions this year

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Trent Richardson was so bad he couldn't hit an open hole in front of him

Barkley is a bust and it was a terrible pick. If he had been picked where Nick Chubb was he'd really just be a disappointment or one of those guys who wasn't really a hit but still gave you something once like Sony Michel. Instead, Gettleman is an idiot and took him at 2 over all and that really changes the perspective on how you look at him.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Metapod posted:

Yall are loving weirdos about HB its just like every other position a true game changer is much much different than that replacement level player yall love to pick up in the 6th

You can get productive running backs anywhere, drafting one at #2 over all is stupid

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Metapod posted:

For every non QB position that statement stands true. There is nothing that can be said about the hb position that cannot be said about every other position. It's so weird that this one position is the one that everyone wants to moneyball when the difference between an average hb and a truly good hb is immense. Like yes you can get latavius murray pretty much anywhere in the draft most likely do you really think latavius murray is a player who can get defenses to respect your run game and help win meaningful games???

Respecting the run game isn't a real thing, you don't need a good running game to throw the ball successfully

People don't respect running backs anymore because they are literally expendable, like relief pitchers. You ride them to the ground for a couple years and then let them go and have them be someone elses problem. If you hit on a linebacker in the 4th round that turns into a stud you generally don't have to worry about the wheels falling off after three seasons

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

Thank God you're just a mod for the book barn.

Wait a minute...

Play Action is successful regardless of how effective your running game is.

I'm not sure why you think this is such a hot take, there have been plenty of articles written about establishing the run to pass not being a real thing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Metapod posted:

Defenses have plays packages for run pass distance and just about any given situation. Making your opponent respect the run is about forcing the opponent to call their run packages their run blitzs etc. When you can force your opponent to play a certain way its much easier to do whatever it is you want to do because you can more easily predict what's going to happen on the other side. This is a very real thing and it's a very powerful thing and it has very little to do with playaction

I understand what you are saying, but the numbers say otherwise. I think it largely comes down to whether you believe in advanced stats or not

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/964205150540877824

Running has it's uses, but it isn't to make passing easier or to be the focal point of your offense.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

A good running game is priceless since it gives you a greater degree of control over the clock.

Problem is, that's only useful if you're ahead.:v:

Remember this gem

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200909210mia.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Elite RB's are great, in that they either add pure power to wear out defenses and prevent the defense from focusing on the pass, like Henry and Chubb, or they're basically secondary WR's that give their QB more flexibility in the pass game, like CMC and Kamara.

Hell, you want to see the difference an elite RB can make, just compare the Titans offense from before and after Henry went out. Defenses were worried about one person on the offense balling out, and it certainly wasn't loving Tannehill.

All of their WR are hurt. They had to sign a guy off the street to play this weekend