Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I watched that entire game, I may require an intervention of some sort.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I take it back, 3 ints by 3 qbs in one quarter on the same team is magical.

I'm curious how often this has happened when none of the QBs had to leave the game due to injury.

That's a little unfair because Ryan was just replaced because the game was over. But Rosen got angry benched and Franks might have made them trot Ryan back out there if they'd have gotten the ball back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

People are digging up other games like this, and here's one from '84 where the Seahawks had 4 pick 6's off 3 Chiefs QB's

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198411040sea.htm

The three Chiefs Qb's threw 18, 17 and 16 passes too, which... man.

Todd Blackledge and Bill Kenney are names I know, but I've gotta say Sandy Osiecki is a hell of a name.

I hope the announcers said his full name every snap to get the most out of it, he had one career pass attempt outside of this game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

They screwed up this offseason by not just committing to a fire sale and starting over. I know it was a massive dead cap hit to trade Ryan but they should have just bit the bullet and did it anyway.

Someone break down the trade market for Matt Ryan for me.

I'm not being a jerk here, just trying to work out who would have been interested. In retrospect...Panthers (who made their move and are also in division (and all of their fans hate him already) so probably not), Texans? Broncos? Lions I guess but they also had to make their move while they got rid of Stafford. WFT or Eagles or Giants, basically any NFC East team that isn't Dallas. 49ers are intriguing since you know Lance needs a year or two to get his feet under him, that would have been a good landing spot if they didn't just trade a ton of draft picks away.

Oh Steelers is an interesting thought but they don't seem the type. That actually seems like the best match I can find if they were willing to tell Ben to go to hell.

As much as the cap hit would have hurt I think the return on any trade would have been really bad in the end? Which is kinda frustrating for the Falcons, Matt Ryan can still play to some extent, just...not with this team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think Urlacher was very good...very early in his career. He got injured and somehow coasted for another 7 years or so being okish at best on reputation while every announcer pretended he was like Dick Butkus who could run (note: he could no longer run) because he played for the Bears.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
My favorite guy I never saw play to bring up during bust chat--I don't know if it's the worst bust but it's gotta be up there: Russell Erxleben.

The Saints drafted Erxleben 11th overall in 1979 hoping that they could save a roster spot by having him handle both placekicking and punting. They did this despite having a decent kicker and punter--keep in mind these are the 70's Saints so decent probably=real damned good for them considering. Erxleben was fairly bomb at Texas and got a rule change put in when he hit a 67 yard field goal in a game and two other 60+ that season (you could use kicking blocks to increase the height of the ball on field goal attempts up until then). So at least the man had a leg, if you're going to actually use the 11th pick on a kicker.

Erxleben played one game in his rookie season, before promptly tearing his hamstring and missing the rest of the year. I don't know this for sure but it's possible maybe he coulda come back but they didn't want him because...

quote:

In Erxleben's first NFL game, on September 2, 1979, the Saints and the archrival Atlanta Falcons went into overtime with the score 34-34. Midway through overtime, a snap went over Erxleben's head and rolled to the goal line. Erxleben picked the ball up and made a hurried chest pass. The pass was intercepted by Atlanta's James Mayberry at the 6-yard line, and he trotted into the end zone for a touchdown and a 40-34 Falcon victory.

I don't know if the injury gave him the yips or what, but the experiment of using him to both punt and kick field goals lasted exactly 5 attempts through the next season, of which he hit 2. He would only attempt one more kick the rest of his career. He did keep his punting duties for 5 years with the Saints, but wasn't special (just busy because of this era of Saints).

So the Saints used #11 on a guy who attempted 8 field goals in his career, hit 4, and punted for a while but never made a pro bowl doing that.

As a bonus he is a multiple time felon after his playing career in white collar criming (busted for money laundering/securities & mail fraud, and got busted again for the same thing and running a ponzi scheme after he got out of prison the first time).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

If they make a decision they can move him to wr permanently/primarily

I remember this being a talking point way back when he was drafted, but I mostly chalked it up to his last name.

I mean I'm not really disagreeing with you after having seen his career, just I remember that way back then.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is a pretty old football maxim iirc. I read a while back it originated in college back in the 60s or 70s.

Woody Hayes is the story I always heard, which would be amusing because he went out because he punched an opposing player for intercepting a pass. (among other things, he was a sweet guy)

quote:

On December 29, 1978, the Buckeyes played in the Gator Bowl against Clemson. Late in the fourth quarter, Clemson was leading Ohio State 17–15. Freshman quarterback Art Schlichter managed to get Ohio State into field goal range. On third and 5 at the Clemson 24-yard line with 2:30 left and the clock running, Hayes called a pass rather than a run, because Schlichter was having a great game up to that point. Schlichter's next pass was intercepted by Clemson nose guard Charlie Bauman, who returned it toward the Ohio State sideline, where he was run out of bounds. After Bauman stood up facing the OSU sideline Hayes punched him in the throat, triggering a bench-clearing brawl.

It could have also been Darrel Royal who was quoted in an article saying it in 1962. He was a longtime Texas coach way back when, but looking it up briefly he seems to attribute him saying it to quoting Hayes. I don't know. It's definitely old though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hot Diggity! posted:

I thought it was decided that you only draft linemen in the early rounds

Defensive or offensive either way, I want someone who weighs at least 290.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ulmont posted:

False start, holding, checkmate atheists.

These really feel apocalyptically bad watching certain service academies play, but sometimes they overcome with a fullback dive.