Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I wish tannehill was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yall are loving weirdos about HB its just like every other position a true game changer is much much different than that replacement level player yall love to pick up in the 6th

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nodoze posted:

You can get productive running backs anywhere, drafting one at #2 over all is stupid

For every non QB position that statement stands true. There is nothing that can be said about the hb position that cannot be said about every other position. It's so weird that this one position is the one that everyone wants to moneyball when the difference between an average hb and a truly good hb is immense. Like yes you can get latavius murray pretty much anywhere in the draft most likely do you really think latavius murray is a player who can get defenses to respect your run game and help win meaningful games???

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Who is the last superstar, game changing RB to win a Superbowl?

The position is just not as important as QB or elite pass rusher.

In the last decade the one's who have made it to a super bowl are: Lynch (won/lost), Rice (won) Gurley (lost)

The one's who made it to the conference championship game: Bell, Henry, Kamara, Aaron Jones

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

it's like people really pay attention to late rounders RB who succeed but for some reason don't do the same for other positions

like, Matt Judon was a 5th rounder out of Division II who is a hell of a player so never draft EDGE at #2 I guess

Yeah like the entire job of a hb is to take the ball from behind the LoS and out run/power/maneuver 11 people trying to bring you down and there are people out there who think you shouldn't put proper investment into this position because the draft is insanely random absolutely crazy.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That is such an incredibly ignorant thing to say lmfao

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Play Action is successful regardless of how effective your running game is.

I'm not sure why you think this is such a hot take, there have been plenty of articles written about establishing the run to pass not being a real thing

Defenses have plays packages for run pass distance and just about any given situation. Making your opponent respect the run is about forcing the opponent to call their run packages their run blitzs etc. When you can force your opponent to play a certain way its much easier to do whatever it is you want to do because you can more easily predict what's going to happen on the other side. This is a very real thing and it's a very powerful thing and it has very little to do with playaction

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nodoze posted:

I understand what you are saying, but the numbers say otherwise. I think it largely comes down to whether you believe in advanced stats or not

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/964205150540877824

Running has it's uses, but it isn't to make passing easier or to be the focal point of your offense.

This is based on QBR which is an awful stat

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

indigi posted:

this applies to a lot of positions though. if you remove a lynchpin player in-season it’s gonna gently caress you up, absolutely. Tackles, QB, RB, even WR1. But the dropoff from Derrick Henry (who I agree is a football god) to Najee Harris or Austin Ekeler isn’t nearly as meaningful as going from Lamar Jackson to Jalen Hurts, or Quentin Nelson to (idk guards really, let’s just say) Ben Braden.

an elite RB just won’t alter your offense in the same way adding an elite tackle or receiver could in today’s nfl. like if you could choose between your team having Henry or Nuk I think you’d be hard pressed to justify picking Henry

The titans have an elite LT elite WR and elite HB and the hb being gone is the one that has caused major issues so what are you talking about

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

latinotwink1997 posted:

No, you see, Tannehill is bad because

Yeah the guy who threw 4 mind boggling interceptions against the Texans isn't good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

their elite WR being out has caused them significantly more problems

No