Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hello, posters of CSPAM. One of the big things that was brought up in recent moderation feedback threads was a desire for transparency in moderating. In that spirit, we thought it would be a good idea to periodically do a State of the Forum kind of thread where we give you a summary of any important recent events or major internal discussions from our perspective, so you can get a sense of how and why we are coming to our decisions as a mod team, and so that we can have some casual discussion of the state of CSPAM between posters and mods. We're thinking of having this thread open for about a week but we aren't setting any hard limits.

Without further ado, here are some of the things that have come up in the last few months:

1) We received a report a while back about a post on China's treatment of the Uyghurs being genocide denial. We talked about this internally and in the end didn't take any action on the report. Our internal discussions boiled down to this: the reported poster wasn't denying that there was some harsh treatment happening to China's Uyghur population, but the dispute revolved around whether or not that harsh treatment amounts to genocide. This is obviously a situation where different people can come to different conclusions based on the same set of facts. Some of us tend to lean towards seeing this as cultural genocide, but we aren't interested in punishing people for having different opinions on that, and our general stance is that disagreeing over the definition of genocide is not the same thing as genocide denial.

2) There have been a few instances of over-the-top aggressive or bloodthirsty posting recently that have been met with long probations or even bans. Since the Tiny Toes incident, we're all gonna be sensitive to posts that seem particularly bloodthirsty or appear to be edging towards advocating real world violence. None of us can really articulate exactly where the line is on this, but we ask everyone to refrain from angrily wishing death on large swaths of people or saying that people should be killed, even if you're not advocating for someone doing it directly. Generally speaking, we don't really want people posting things that sound like Joker monologues.

3) We have received some reports about antivax posting in a few different CSPAM threads. We are not doctors, scientists, or epidemiologists, and a certain amount of skepticism is to be expected, but the general impression we've got from engaging with posters in these threads is that outright antivax posting should at least be discouraged - with the vibe on that being stronger or weaker depending on the thread subject. Dreylad recently summed up our thinking in the Covid thread:

Dreylad posted:

to be transparent about it, the mods have talked about where we want to draw the line when dealing with anti-vaxx stuff. we all agreed that we don't want there to be and hard and fast limits on discussion because as we've discovered again and again and again with this pandemic, the consensus scientific opinion wrt to public health has shifted over time, and frankly none of us are epidemiology experts. the thread tends to self-regulate pretty well and there's a clear expectation of and standard of evidence if you're going to roll in with some wild claims. someone coming in with typical recycled anti-vaxx talking points isn't going to last long here anyway.
This is by necessity something that won't really have a stringent rule attacked to it, since the science on Covid and vaccines is constantly being updated, but we're probably going to frown on someone coming in and claiming that vaccines are completely useless or actively harmful, since that seems to not be true based on the experience of hundreds of millions of people around the world. Obviously, the extent to which vaccines do or don't solve Covid problems is a debatable topic, but outright antivax sentiment can be legitimately harmful or even deadly to those reading it and so we may well shut it down with probations or bans if someone is going really hard on that. Our current stance is pretty against anything actively encourage people not to get a vaccine that could save their life, but we are open to a general discussion on where it's appropriate to draw the line.

4) We recently added more mods and IKs in an effort to get more eyes and broader coverage around the subforum. In particular, we added Azathoth and frankenfreak as CSPAM mods, bringing our total up to five, and we added a few new IKs, especially to cover fast-moving threads. How is this working out for you? Are any threads being neglected or moderated too heavily by the new team?

5) Adding on to 4, we are still thinking of adding more mods or IKs over the coming months. In particular, if anyone is thinking of a thread that could really use a constant pair of eyes on it, please suggest an IK to watch that thread.

6) In general, we would like for CSPAM to be a fun place to post more often than a place to get angry. The nature of the world and of the things we talk about here means that sometimes discussions tend towards anger, but that doesn't have to be the dominant mood in every thread at all times. Do you find CSPAM a fun place to post right now? If not, is there anything we can do to improve that?

7) Dreylad is thinking about a new background image for CSPAM, but I'll let him post about that.

If you have thoughts on any of these issues, let loose. And did we miss anything big that you want to talk about? :justpost: and let's have a chat about CSPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

free larry

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As someone who used to post in D&D a lot but slowly drifted here at the encouragement of the lame nerds from the USpol discord, cspam is pretty cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it should probably say Tiny Toese in the OP not Tiny Toes, since that makes what happened clearer for people who aren't immediately familiar

everything else looks good, my maplefucker comrade

e: oh and i really like the gaming thread but if you gently caress with the mental health thread i will cut you.

that thread is well moderated and a very good place, and people demonizing it is really lovely

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

free larry for some, chain probations for others

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

free larry for some, chain probations for others

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

gas the trump, greenwald and canada threads

free larry

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

that thread is well moderated and a very good place, and people demonizing it is really lovely

You wouldn't have an AA meeting in the middle of a liquor store

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arivia posted:

When we did our IK rotation we specifically kept the two IKs who had been looking after that thread because of their hard work in making it a good thread. We definitely don't want to ruin that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

larry was an annoying little shitgoblin who wasn’t smart enough to listen the first thirty or so times he was warned for childishly continuing to needle people, and the ‘free larry’ dorks should continue to be ignored so long as they continue to channel the antagonistic spirit of lowtax

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Wheeee posted:

free larry

:agreed:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

shitgoblin

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Right, the background image. I wanted something different, for no real reason other than to change things up. The current one is fine, but wonderful poster AnimeIsTrash provided a few good options, and I really liked:

I went to the admins to see if I could get it changed, and there were some concerns about using someone else's branded content, and also that it should be a joke that originated from the forums. Those are both fair points.

Thankfully, Leperfish saved the day by rolling in and drawing inspiration from the original image:

So I present this to you posters of CSPAM as an option. Alternatively, if people have other ideas, please share them!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

if we can't scrounge up anything else bottom right i guess

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Office Pig posted:

if we can't scrounge up anything else bottom right i guess

it's loss

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

i hate you so loving much

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The January 6th thing is funnier than anything else we're going to come up with in awhile, IMO.

Also, free Larry.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

larry was an annoying little shitgoblin who wasn’t smart enough to listen the first thirty or so times he was warned for childishly continuing to needle people, and the ‘free larry’ dorks should continue to be ignored so long as they continue to channel the antagonistic spirit of lowtax

This is the quality of post you get from people who don't want larry freed. Free larry

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Probably Magic posted:

The January 6th thing is funnier than anything else we're going to come up with in awhile, IMO.

Also, free Larry.

Yeah the capital mob is such a good background. The only other option is the stalin tractor imo.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I like CSPAM.

The covid thread is an excellent resource for knowing what the news is saying four months early.

The Doomsday Economic thread is excellent as well. Not only does number always go up, but the IK challenges create a lot of lols.

Free Dairy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wheeee posted:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

as an aside i have my doubts larry would come back in the hypothetical absence of any posting embargoes, whether that curries favor for or against the freedom parish is between the moderators and whatever chatroom they use to discuss their sexual deviancies

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
pee fairy

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I think C-SPAM is in a good place, hitting somewhere between compassionate, rational, angry, informative and funny.

Calling the COVID thread antivax, is an active hostility to reality.

No mods, no masters etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Office Pig posted:

gas the trump, greenwald and canada threads

free larry

what did the canada thread do to hurt you?

Pingui posted:

I think C-SPAM is in a good place, hitting somewhere between compassionate, rational, angry, informative and funny.

Calling the COVID thread antivax, is an active hostility to reality.

No mods, no masters etc.

to clarify a bit, I don't know of people making those accusations against the Covid thread as a whole, more that posters in the thread have made some complaints or reports about occasional antivax posts within it. This happened in a couple other threads as well which is why it prompted some internal discussion over how to respond to antivax posting in general.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

i will not rest until the canadian state has been wiped from the annals of history, first nations only nations

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Office Pig posted:

i will not rest until the canadian state has been wiped from the annals of history, first nations only nations

hmm, I hear you, let's put a land acknowledgement into the OP

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

:haibrower:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Cspam is good. no changes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I love you all

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

cspam is, I think, just fine as-is

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

my bony fealty posted:

cspam is, I think, just fine as-is

Mustached Demon posted:

I love you all

Pamela Springstein posted:

Cspam is good. no changes.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
cspam is cool and good

id like to see:

*more goatse
*more goatse related bans
*two worst posters are imprisoned in a stickied thread where they must debat e each other on a topic of cspam's chooosing
OR the two postesr have failed mod challnenges. cpsam votes and loser of debate gets banned . or something goatse related happens
*more and harder mod challenges

what can i say i like what i like

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Has there been a good CSPAM gang tag lately? Someone should come up with one. Not me though, I'm just the ideas guy. Also I should get one for free for my brilliant idea

Another brilliant idea, comedy USSR propaganda 6ers.

Also I would like to be able to empty quote someone else's empty quote without it looking empty. Surely we have the technology?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
seems okay at the moment

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wheeee posted:

how dare you. larry was loved by all, well except for the mods i guess

the trump thread needs an ik. i know i know, it's risky because they could try and take over cspam but really we just need them to change the thread title every few days

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s good! wonder how long this thread will get compared to other feedback threads on this forum.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wheeee posted:

I came here for this feedback, really