Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

vyelkin posted:

(..)
to clarify a bit, I don't know of people making those accusations against the Covid thread as a whole, more that posters in the thread have made some complaints or reports about occasional antivax posts within it. This happened in a couple other threads as well which is why it prompted some internal discussion over how to respond to antivax posting in general.

The COVID thread has been called antivax plenty of times, mostly for discussing things like waning immunity, breakthrough infections, discussing different vaccine titer levels or wearing respirators. The invariable conclusion in the thread is to get more vaccine, but it still gets the moniker because there is a large cohort that defines antivax as questioning the CDC/Fauci/Open Biden.

Anyways, the most tiring thing about actual "the vaccines don't work" antivaxxers is that they claim to have done their own research, but somehow never produce it. So maybe make them do that and let them fight with their posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CODChimera posted:

the trump thread needs an ik. i know i know, it's risky because they could try and take over cspam but really we just need them to change the thread title every few days

any suggestions for who might be a good choice?

in the meantime, feel free to use reports to ask for thread title changes. That's the best kind of report to open as a mod because instead of seeing a lovely post you get to see a funny joke and then share it with other people

Pingui posted:

The COVID thread has been called antivax plenty of times, mostly for discussing things like waning immunity, breakthrough infections, discussing different vaccine titer levels or wearing respirators. The invariable conclusion in the thread is to get more vaccine, but it still gets the moniker because there is a large cohort that defines antivax as questioning the CDC/Fauci/Open Biden.

Anyways, the most tiring thing about actual "the vaccines don't work" antivaxxers is that they claim to have done their own research, but somehow never produce it. So maybe make them do that and let them fight with their posts.

Thanks for this explanation, it helps a lot. I think asking them to actually produce their research isn't necessarily a bad idea on how to deal with antivaxxers sometimes, but honestly I also don't really want to encourage antivaxxers to start spewing bullshit "research" all over the thread if any of them do try to respond to the challenge. That's the kind of situation where a thread regular who's following Covid closely might be able to easily tell that it's all nonsense but a more casual or infrequent thread reader could have a different reaction. After all, misinformation can be persuasive and hard to stamp out once it needles into a little corner of your brain, that's how we get antivaxxers in the first place.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

vyelkin posted:

(..)
Thanks for this explanation, it helps a lot. I think asking them to actually produce their research isn't necessarily a bad idea on how to deal with antivaxxers sometimes, but honestly I also don't really want to encourage antivaxxers to start spewing bullshit "research" all over the thread if any of them do try to respond to the challenge. That's the kind of situation where a thread regular who's following Covid closely might be able to easily tell that it's all nonsense but a more casual or infrequent thread reader could have a different reaction. After all, misinformation can be persuasive and hard to stamp out once it needles into a little corner of your brain, that's how we get antivaxxers in the first place.

I have some reservations as well, but at the same time this isn't Facebook full of impressionable boomers and the arguments are pervasive in society at large either way, so hashing out pushback that isn't entirely centered on dems vs reps could be enlightening. Idk if it would work or work well, but I suspect that most antivaxxers we get are just trolling and probably couldn't be assed to substantiate and so I am coming from that perspective.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I honestly think cspam is heading in the right direction for maybe the first time since trump got elected and the Hillary men got thrown out. Mods are better, the de-taintrunnerification of the forum has gone over really well. Mods are actually decent, communicative and take in thread feedback on when to probe.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

CODChimera posted:

how dare you. larry was loved by all, well except for the mods i guess

the trump thread needs an ik. i know i know, it's risky because they could try and take over cspam but really we just need them to change the thread title every few days

I sorry I haven’t been able to change it lately. I’m out of town and it’s hard to do stuff like that on mobile lol

if a thread title stands out anywhere just dm me as well and I’ll make the magic happen

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic
isnt korean boomhauer the trump thread ik

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic

lumpentroll posted:

isnt korean boomhauer the trump thread ik

you are now if you weren’t before. congrats idiot.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
inshallah

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

you have apparently not been changing the thread title enough. get to work.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
is there an IK regular for the eurasia thread since gradenko stepped down?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
also we need a namechange thread its been a while

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mila kunis posted:

is there an IK regular for the eurasia thread since gradenko stepped down?

it's shameful that he was de ik'd for what was a funny thread title change

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
oh i thought he voluntarily stopped being one, why did he get de-ik'd?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

CSPAM currently seems like a functional forum that doesnt hate its mods and has built a community, so I fully expect an admin to bulldoze in here with a list of changes typed up by Very Concerned Posters any day now

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Nix Panicus posted:

CSPAM currently seems like a functional forum that doesnt hate its mods

shameful

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

mila kunis posted:

oh i thought he voluntarily stopped being one, why did he get de-ik'd?

He changed the name of the succ zone to make fun of a bad post that said retard so the former mods moved in with full force to stop funny things from happening

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Not saying action is needed, but the epstein thread should probably have extra IKs assigned so the QCS Crew can't gently caress with us.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Nov 20, 2021

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
as an actual coronavirus scientist up until a few months ago the COVID thread is the sanest place on the internet lol

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

really queer Christmas posted:

He changed the name of the succ zone to make fun of a bad post that said retard so the former mods moved in with full force to stop funny things from happening

that happened in september. there was a qcs thread about it, and that's how the mods and admins were alerted to it. the cspam mods were discussing the issue when the admins removed gradenko's buttons. we hadn't come to any conclusion about it when that happened.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
re-ik gradenko then

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
are we ever going to be told who wanted larry parrish forum banned because every mod and admin has pointed fingers away from themselves or just ignored the question every time it has come up

apart from that i feel like cspam is working pretty well right now, better than it has in a long while

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

John Charity Spring posted:

are we ever going to be told who wanted larry parrish forum banned because every mod and admin has pointed fingers away from themselves or just ignored the question every time it has come up

apart from that i feel like cspam is working pretty well right now, better than it has in a long while

This was covered in the last feedback thread and was before my time as mod, just in the interest of full disclosure.

This is a decision where Jeffrey heard input from both sides and made the call himself. Originally, it was a straight permaban, but after the wider forums community rose up to protest, he compromised at a CSPAM forum ban, because he felt that without at least that, he would eventually perma Larry for good.

Jeffrey reads the forums, including this one, and he isn't Lowtax who stumbles back in once a year and drunkenly bans whoever catches his ire in the moment. Folks have a lot of theories that the mods at the time were whispering in Jeffrey's ear and convinced him to do it and he didn't know what was happening, but that's just not true.

I dunno if folks will believe me, but I don't have any interest in lying or covering for any mod or admin, past or present, and I'm telling you the straight truth.

Sundown Forum
Nov 12, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

This was covered in the last feedback thread and was before my time as mod, just in the interest of full disclosure.

This is a decision where Jeffrey heard input from both sides and made the call himself. Originally, it was a straight permaban, but after the wider forums community rose up to protest, he compromised at a CSPAM forum ban, because he felt that without at least that, he would eventually perma Larry for good.

Jeffrey reads the forums, including this one, and he isn't Lowtax who stumbles back in once a year and drunkenly bans whoever catches his ire in the moment. Folks have a lot of theories that the mods at the time were whispering in Jeffrey's ear and convinced him to do it and he didn't know what was happening, but that's just not true.

I dunno if folks will believe me, but I don't have any interest in lying or covering for any mod or admin, past or present, and I'm telling you the straight truth.

maybe Jeffery should be an active participant

:justpost:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Azathoth posted:

I can't be bothered digging up the post in question (sorry) but I was sure I saw a Jeffrey post in QCS where he said he didn't make the decision, but CSPAM mods did. which is where the confusion comes from. it's possible I imagined this I guess

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sundown Forum posted:

maybe Jeffery should be an active participant

:justpost:

I'm sure Jeffrey can post here if there's anything new to add, but he addressed this pretty clearly last time and I doubt he wants to go through the same conversation every time we have a feedback thread:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Sure I'm here. I wanted this. It just seemed like a silly song and dance to continue having these conversations over and over. Charming or not, Larry has demonstrated he won't change his posting based on probations and bans, and now those inevitably get escalated to me. That is to one's credit when their intent is to provoke but.....I just can't have the same argument every month. I know that the ending is "I run out of patience and permaban him" and my hope is that forum banning him will head that off.

In effect, to me, this isn't even a c-spam action. Removing him from the place he causes trouble and headaches for me spares him the permaban that prevents him from posting in Imp Zone, where he is recognized as an upstanding poster. I know that is not the answer that many people here want but.....perhaps you can visit imp zone and talk to him about games instead of marxism.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You are correct that I did not stay and argue about it in the "free larry" threads but my name is right there in the leper's colony. I will admit that, just about a year into owning this place, I am pretty tired of being screamed by a hundred people every time someone is probated for intentionally breaking a rule to make a point. I'm numb. If something as small-stakes as one user's forum ban reaches me, I'm just gonna look at the posts myself and make a call. It's not up to a vote. I feel that this solution, while not great for his friends in c-spam, will have the best outcome in which larry still posts in imp zone, so that's what we're doing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

vyelkin posted:

any suggestions for who might be a good choice?

in the meantime, feel free to use reports to ask for thread title changes. That's the best kind of report to open as a mod because instead of seeing a lovely post you get to see a funny joke and then share it with other people

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I sorry I haven’t been able to change it lately. I’m out of town and it’s hard to do stuff like that on mobile lol

if a thread title stands out anywhere just dm me as well and I’ll make the magic happen

awesome, cheers team

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
cspam is good, in my humble opinion

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

re-ik gradenko, that was bullshit to be punished for doing something good and fun and funny

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

and I don't want to hear that the admins did it while discussion was going on or something because if the cspam mods were good they'd go to bat for their own posters against the admins

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

500 good dogs posted:

if the cspam mods were good they'd go to bat for their own posters against the admins

can you even imagine

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Larry only "caused problems" because the mods at the time were giant idiots with a now known list of disgusting crimes. I think he would be fine with the current team and propose that he be given another chance

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Larry only "caused problems" because the mods at the time were giant idiots with a now known list of disgusting crimes. I think he would be fine with the current team and propose that he be given another chance

I support this and also re iking gradenko

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

The second worst mod from then is still a mod though

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

if the incessant larry posters actually cared about posting with their friend and his being able to continue engaging within the cspam community they would have convinced him to knock off his petulant childish behavior instead of egging it on until the inevitable consequences landed and they all started doing the shocked pikachu

this isn't 2001 and lowtax isn't in charge anymore, either grow up and begin acting like an adult or stop acting surprised when your posting like an extremely online teenager suffering from severe arrested emotional development is met with consequences from people who grew out of acting like toxic basic bitches for giggles

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

if the incessant larry posters actually cared about posting with their friend and his being able to continue engaging within the cspam community they would have convinced him to knock off his petulant childish behavior instead of egging it on until the inevitable consequences landed and they all started doing the shocked pikachu

this isn't 2001 and lowtax isn't in charge anymore, either grow up and begin acting like an adult or stop acting surprised when your posting like an extremely online teenager suffering from severe arrested emotional development is met with consequences from people who grew out of acting like toxic basic bitches for giggles

Oh look another anti-larry poster arrives to say some misogynistic dog poo poo. stop posting, you suck at it

e: oh wait it's the same guy from last page

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Wheeee posted:

:aochloe:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

some plague rats posted:

Oh look another anti-larry poster arrives to say some misogynistic dog poo poo. stop posting, you suck at it

e: oh wait it's the same guy from last page

you little freaks really can't handle having caustic posting directed back at you, can you

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

you little freaks really can't handle having caustic posting directed back at you, can you

very cool. you going to call us sjw snowflakes next?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wheeee posted:

you’re caustic for no reason all the time, so, feedback: let’s all be nice to each other, it’s usually the case anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Blundering in to scream about how you vapid cunts don't get that it was important to ban larry for being casually demeaning all the time