Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/PYE6rkV.mp4

Tis the season, goons, when we celebrate the arrival of our savior: video game consoles. We've had gift exchanges in the past and they were a lot of fun, so I'm starting it up again! Let's send each other some crazy stuff!

How do I do this?

The process is easy, but remember if you sign up, you are obligated to send a gift. Don't be a grinch and stiff someone on a gift.

1. Before December 1st, post in this thread that you're signing up. Include a bit about yourself in that post to help your Santa pick something out.
2. Before December 1st, send an e-mail to santa@retrogoon.com with the subject line "Retro Santa Sign Up - [Forum Name]" and this information:

code:
Your Name: 
Forum Name: 
Mailing Address: 

Will You Ship Internationally (Yes, everywhere/Yes, same continent/No): 
Anyone who doesn't replace "[Forum Name]" will receive a lump of coal sports game. Once I have your e-mail, you're fully signed up.

3. You'll get a short, boring verification e-mail from me confirming your sign up. If you don't see that e-mail within twenty-four hours, e-mail santa@retrogoon.com again so we can make sure you're signed up.
4. On December 1st, you'll get your santee's information right from that e-mail they sent. Start shopping.
5. By December 17th, you need to have your gift in the mail. Post in this thread when you send it.
6. Post in this thread when you get your present so we can see the cool thing you got! Bonus points if you react like the kid in the video.

When will I get my victim santee?

I'm going to leave sign ups open until the clock rolls over to midnight for December 1st GMT. I'll send you an e-mail with the details for who you need to send gifts to after that.

And after that?

Post back in the thread when you ship your package. Given the delays in shipping this time of year, get your package out by December 17th so they can have it for Christmas! Mark your packages, too, if possible, so people know it's a gift from Retro Santa.

And when you receive your gift, post to this thread! Share what goodies you receive with the rest of us so we can bask in the joy of giving!

I need some more information from my santee.

E-mail me at santa@retrogoon.com or shoot me a private forum message and I'll relay the message to them.

How much do I need to spend?

Retrogames has gotten even more expensive since the :retrogames: emote was purchased. I'm recommending a minimum of $30 USD for gifts and that's not including shipping. I've already spent more on that for whoever my own santee winds up being. The important thing is don't be a grinch.

I never got my gift!

E-mail me at santa@retrogoon.com or send me a private message. I'll make sure that you get something one way or the other.

And when you're sending gifts, get tracking if you can. I know that the delivery companies screw up a lot these days and it helps if there's a paper trail.

So I should get old games for my santee, right?

Not necessarily. In fact, I'd recommend looking for other distinctive merchandise that you think they might like. There's tons of stuff out there beyond even t-shirts. I got my sister-in-law a Kirby lamp for this Christmas, to use an example. Be creative and fun!

International Shipments

Right now shipping overseas is crazy expensive, even more than it already was. That's why the option for "international giver" was broken out into intercontinental and not-intercontinental; this way US/Canadian and EU relations can be strengthened. I'll point out that you can always shop for your goon at an online store in their own country and save yourself some headaches. Of course, for that more personal touch, you'll need to use DHL or FedEx to make sure it gets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm signing up for the Retro Secret Santa (of course)!

I Like: Weird and exotic games, the off the wall stuff, Japanese exclusives, the Famicom but don't send any games since I'm closing in on a compelte set, Densha de Go!
I Don't Like: Getting clothes, first person shooters from 2001 on, fragile things, grinches
Best Sega Franchise: Crazy Taxi
Worst Nintendo Franchise: Animal Crossing
Pride of My Retro Game Collection: Unpunched copy of the Genpei Toma Den hybrid board game/videogame for the Famicom
Consoles I Have: Most of them, but no Atari systems or current gen

(Don't feel obligated to use that format when you're posting your sign up, I'm just being an example.)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hey I'm signing up. I like dumb nintendo collectibles and weird first party controllers/ accessories. I think I have every system less obscure than Jaguar/3do (everything pretty much ODEd/everdrived)

Huge Kirby and Yoshi fans in this house.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got my son a PS5 last xmas and y'all know what a loving pain in the rear end that was to pull off.
He opened it and was like 'No way, thanks Dad!' I was all like 'is it exciting?' and he's like 'Yeah, thanks!'
I was filming it etc and well, I was expecting the kid in the OP, I was pretty much this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6nczQNvw5E

He was super grateful, but just doesn't do the screaming excitement thing :v:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm doing enough secret santas this year, I really shouldn't do another one.

Email sent!

I Like: All sorts. Nothing legal is too weird! Feel free to unload worthless gaming junk
I Don't Like: Licorice
Pride of My Retro Game Collection: Complete boxed Steel Battalion for OGXbox
Consoles I Have: I've the usual suspects when it comes to consoles but I've also got plenty of games for consoles I'll never own. Must horde everything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm bumping this to remind people that if they want to sign up, they need to do it in the next couple of days!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Santees are assigned and sent out which was really easy with only three of us. Remember to post here when you ship and when you receive!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Package away! Y'all have PAL consoles right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

freelop posted:

Package away! Y'all have PAL consoles right?

I only use the finest SECAM. :v:

And my gift is on the way. I went through multiple shops that wouldn't ship to my Santee before I found someone...

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Hell yeah an anonymous goon sent me some Japanese Gameboy goodies!

Super Mario Land was my first Mario game and stands as my favourite so having a boxed version like this is awesome.

Qix is my most played Atari Lynx game, never played on GB before.

I hadn't heard of Densetsu no Stafy 2, X or Heiankyo Alien before but having played a bit on each they are all pretty fun.

The Kirby game is naturally cute and the motion controls still work perfectly.

Mario Picross I need to work out how to navigate the menus for! First time I've played a Picross game

I was going to post about having just enough Gameboys and batteries to play all of them at once when the yellow GB died and doesn't seem to want to come back, I'll manage though :D

Thanks very much Santa!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's a very cooler Gameboy collection.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dropped off today. Cutting it close !!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

freelop posted:

Hell yeah an anonymous goon sent me some Japanese Gameboy goodies!

Super Mario Land was my first Mario game and stands as my favourite so having a boxed version like this is awesome.

Qix is my most played Atari Lynx game, never played on GB before.

I hadn't heard of Densetsu no Stafy 2, X or Heiankyo Alien before but having played a bit on each they are all pretty fun.

The Kirby game is naturally cute and the motion controls still work perfectly.

Mario Picross I need to work out how to navigate the menus for! First time I've played a Picross game

I was going to post about having just enough Gameboys and batteries to play all of them at once when the yellow GB died and doesn't seem to want to come back, I'll manage though :D

Thanks very much Santa!

Glad you're going to have some fun. I would have dug up a Yoshi game, too, but my options for those were pretty awful.

FWIW, X is by the people who made Starfox. It's the proof of concept that got Nintendo to have them make the bigger game.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Glad you're going to have some fun. I would have dug up a Yoshi game, too, but my options for those were pretty awful.

FWIW, X is by the people who made Starfox. It's the proof of concept that got Nintendo to have them make the bigger game.

Ahh that's cool about X, it's really impressive that it works so well on the GB

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well my package was returned due to insufficient address ?

I’ll see how I messed it up then contact the organizer to resend.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

This may be the most cursed secret Santa on record.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Just how many copies of ET did you send?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got a package and it is sweet!

The Dry Bones is adorable and it keeps popping back up when it's jumped on!

The Donkey Kong is a bank and you put coins in at the top and watch them roll down. Someone here keeps putting money into it already! :v:

And thank you for the eBay gift card. It'll be helpful!

But the real thing I love is that 3D printed Disk-kun art. I've got to find a great place for it where my cats won't knock it off. It's also going get worked into my Famicom videos because it's so nifty.

Thank you so much, Santa!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I heard it’s really hard to find famicom themed merchandise so it looks like Santa improvised !

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Checked the tracking on the parcel for my Santee and apparently it was processed through a facility stateside on the 11th December :ohdearsass:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well January man showed up today with some interesting items

First up is this game I'm not too familiar with -- but it looks neat! Will check it out later!

Next we have some choice Famicom titles. Dragon Quest 3 has an awesome looking label -- but I don't think I will be able to play through it! However, the chibi Splatterhouse game was something I've been meaning t try.

I now have a fully powered up whip! We just finished Sunshine but I don't have Echoes anymore so very convenient -- was planning on going back to it this year.

And finally this thing. I almost ordered one a while back but kind of forgot. It's great! The games are surprisingly playable. I need to get a stand printed for it so it can live with the rest of my handhelds.

Thank you! IF anything else miraculously shows up I will be posting about that as well.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

So my package did finally show up a few weeks ago. I started a post and never finished it so my apologies.
Edit: here it is

Had to crop personal info out but it did make it, finally. Soaking wet in plastic bag.

This is always hilarious to drop on someone. Here's a bunch of things, now unwrap them slowly an individually.

I don't remember what order I opened them in so I will go by the letter best I can. Two very oddball picks (absolutely love the DK art)

PAL PSX games. I've never had any PAL stuff before so this is interesting.

Cricket. Anyone see a theme?

OK I love this and was using is as one of test games on my AV Fam

As a born (but not native) Texan I will wear this with pride.

I was laughing uncontrollable as more and more strange stuff was opened. This is probably the strangest.

Soaking wet card

I guess I open this now!

Yes. Peak Britain. You succeeded.
I want to arrange all the weirder things on a plaque or something.

Despite being smashed and soaking wet, everything seems to have survived. Thank you so much.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 11, 2022

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Hurrah glad it made it eventually!
I felt slightly guilty sending 2 sports games though had I come across a rugby game I'd have packaged one of those as well.

Did you find where the instruction manual for "A View to Kill" is? I thought it was pretty clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

freelop posted:

Hurrah glad it made it eventually!
I felt slightly guilty sending 2 sports games though had I come across a rugby game I'd have packaged one of those as well.

Did you find where the instruction manual for "A View to Kill" is? I thought it was pretty clever

That is clever. I like those cases.
And now I kind of want to play ps2 rugby.