Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That's right, dead serious about being friends with a Danish prince!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I dunno what the means but imma post anyway how r u OP?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

no they fukin aren't stop spreading FAKE NEWS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

runnypoops posted:

I dunno what the means but imma post anyway how r u OP?

Doin p good. Feeling a little nauseous but otherwise cool

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

All I do with this play is make comparisons to Waiting For Godot with it and also think that it's overly long. The movie version with Gary Oldman and Tim Roth is pretty decent, especially the tennis scene, I guess. It's still too long.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
starring gary youngman

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

no that's a different Gary I said which Gary it was and I meant it.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

RIP to some real ones

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
no...! Not Rosenstern and Guildencrantz, they are my favourites!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
...heads?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
It's an ok movie if you are a Shakespeare nerd. Hard to follow if you don't know Hamlet intimately.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100519/

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Thought this was a driftingmouse post at first

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Guildenrose and Crantzenstern are my friends and I want them to come back

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

Who What Now posted:

Doin p good. Feeling a little nauseous but otherwise cool

Rite on i hope ur nausea passes

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
can't deny alfred has an amazing rear end

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Strange Brew was better.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BigHead posted:

It's an ok movie if you are a Shakespeare nerd. Hard to follow if you don't know Hamlet intimately.

I don’t really think you need to know Hamlet to understand it. It’s pretty tangential to the plot.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

BigHead posted:

I have a copy of the play, it barely gets into the plot of "Hamlet" or its characters, and the background gets explained in the dialogue anyway.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I was playing Guildensern in R&GAD when my wife first saw me! It's how we met!

So I had washed out of my filmmaking ambitions after a disastrously conceived (by me) documentary shot in Albania. I moved to a logging community in northern California where my alarming drinking problem instantly got downgraded to adorable by local comparison. I worked at the supermarket deli, BBQed outside six months out of the year. So one day a guy I'd never seen before in overalls is looking for me at the deli and I'm like, "oh crap who did I piss off at the bar last night?"

He was directing Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead at the local playhouse and had lost his Gildenstern three months before the debut. Despite having no stage experience whatsoever I had two important qualities: time on my hands and I knew what hamlet was. Rosencrantz was played by the town veterinarian and as "BBQ Dave" I was a bit of a small-town celebrity myself which offset how few people in the town wanted to see a play about a play, when they preferred melodramas.

I'm told I did ok. Anyhow that guy in overalls was my wife's stepfather and she came up to see the play. The rest is history. Good play, would love to watch it someday.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

tom stoppard is good

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
i didn't even know they were sick!

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont care if theyre dead, I don't even care one lick.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I like that their deaths and poochie's death were essentially announced the same way.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I dont really remember much about this i think i had to read it for amodern(ish) british lit class in college and then we also watched the movie.

I dont really remember much about thay class it was pretty boring, the thing i remember the most is having to read The French Lieutenant's Woman which was one of the worst books ive ever had to read it was so loving boring and the dude just had the biggest hardon for how much better everything was back in victorian times and everything now sucks

there was this one part where the dude bangs the chick and its about like he humps her twice and nuts in her cause he is so horney and then like the dude goes on for like 30 pages about how much better olden days sex like that was cause it was a much bigger deal instead of all these kids these days carrying on and fuggin whenever they like it just kept going on forever.

That is my story about a boring class i took 12 years ago where i also read rosencratz and guildenstern are dead

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

i didn't even know they were sick!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are FINE and have taken a sabbatical to an undisclosed island resort of their own free will to consider the merits of Xi Jinping Thought, for as long as it takes

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Huh, I never knew the names of the old man muppets, thanks OP!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Blowsencrantz

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I have a copy of the play, it barely gets into the plot of "Hamlet" or its characters, and the background gets explained in the dialogue anyway.

I'm pretty sure their entire dialogue from the original Shakespeare play are in the movie, word for word, which a non-Shakespeare viewer isn't going to appreciate.

But I guess this is true for pretty much any nerdy kind of reference. For example if you're very familiar with stage plays from the Restoration Era, then you will notice certain things in The Cook, the Theif, His Wife, and Her Lover. (For example, a musical interlude occurs at exactly the half way point of the performance.)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Corn Glizzy posted:

Huh, I never knew the names of the old man muppets, thanks OP!

for shame. That's Waldorf and Statler.
And they are alive and well

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

everything needs a spinoff these days :rolleyes:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember reading this in my senior English class. I absolutely loved that teacher but i don't remember much about the play. I read this summery but nothing rings a bell.
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/rosencrantz/summary/

I remember really liking Grendel which reminds me of this in that it focuses on the non main character showing their perspective.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Which danish prince?? we got a few

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
We also watched this which was super weird and absurd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADa8zy4aZGE

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dune is just Hamlet in space.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

super sweet best pal posted:

Omg

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

there are no new ideas, just more impressive ways to present them

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Bula Vinaka posted:

I'm pretty sure their entire dialogue from the original Shakespeare play are in the movie, word for word, which a non-Shakespeare viewer isn't going to appreciate.

I don't know about the movie, but the play version uses only a little bit of Hamlet's dialogue, and everything gets explained in modern English, anyway. I don't think you need to "appreciate" that there's some of ye Olde English that's from Shakespeare to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's right OP, now I have the Blood Sin.