Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Time to show the audience this character is a RISK TAKER and he's aggressively SEXY about it.

*takes off his helmet*

*is in a totally alien environment that the human body has zero adjustment to the toxins, germs, et al in the air. Dies days later*

He didn't die because he took his helmet off, he died because he was intentionally poisoned by one of the other characters.

Did you even watch the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If you mean that the contrast is the characters in Prometheus are a bunch of idiots and the characters in Alien generally aren't, then sure

I mean, I'd like Prometheus better if it was Scott trying to make a contrast with the original film by saying "the blue-collar space truckers in Alien had more common sense than the supposedly more intelligent white-collar scientists and executives in Prometheus", but I don't think that was actually the point he was trying to make, I think he legitimately put stuff in the film becaue he thought it'd be shocking or cool

Why are you so worried about what you thought the director was trying to do?

Movies aren't puzzles.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ah, the good old "just turn your brain off" defense

The opposite, you should watch what the movie is saying, rather than what you think the director or writer is saying.

For example, if a character says they are an expert, but then acts incompetently or recklessly, then that's what they are. You as the viewer should not be confused by this. You shouldn't be going "well, they said they were an expert, how could they act this way? It doesn't make any sense."

If you are of the opinion that a professional scientist wouldn't act a particular way, it's not that the movie is "wrong" it's showing that the character is acting in that way.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's true to life though.

Let's use a real world example. IDK if you've heard the story of LTC Arthur "Bud" Holland of the US Air Force. He was an experienced and talented B-52 pilot how had a history of pushing the limits, ignoring the rules, and eventually killed himself and his crew when he crashed a B-52 while trying to perform a barrel roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairchild_Air_Force_Base_B-52_crash

His case is the logical endpoint of a character like Maverick from Top Gun. Maverick was a genius behind the stick, but thinks he's special and above the rules and the logical endpoint of his career is something like what happened to LTC Holland.

No on can say that the real or fictional pilots are not experts, or that they were inexperienced, or under pressure from above, but their personalities are ones of taking risks beyond common sense or even rules or regulations.

Now take the character of Dr. Charlie Holloway. He is apparently an archeologist of some skill and he and Noomi Rapace's character have made a study of ancient artifacts that leads them to the belief that aliens visited Earth and left a map to the stars, which ends up being correct.

He is also shown to be arrogant and brash, thinks the rules do not apply to him, and takes his helmet off in an alien environment, which is not a smart thing to do but does not seem to be out of character for him.

The other characters in the movie that people don't like the actions of are a geologist who has no problem taking a multi-year mission to the unknown for the money, and a biologist who dies in a manner similar to the Crocodile Hunter.

None of this is bad writing.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is that it works perfectly well as a stock action movie taken at face value, with the point being that the formula is already near indistinguishable from Nazi propaganda, let alone the original story.

Sometimes you run into that, supposedly Coppola was trying to make LTC Kilgore look insane and murderous in Apocalypse Now and the helicopter assault still comes off as the coolest set piece in the movie and the dude basically became a model for future Air Cavalrymen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohcvIHNbOHc&t=15s

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

sure okay posted:

*A character operates against every human survival instinct, using their training to justify getting themselves into even more danger than the average layman*

"Everyone makes mistakes guys this is good writing. Just like when God wrote the Croc Hunter out of season 2006!"

Speaking of bad writing, I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Buschmaki posted:

I really like the Phantom Menace, it's a cool series of slapstick physical comedy setpieces that's broken up by almost 30-45 minutes of the most boringest stuff ever on tattooine. However, it's still a fun space adventure romp and if you step off of your Hollywood high horse you'd see that it's a kickass movie

Jar Jar Binks was ill-conceived and if he had not been in the movie, or at least had not had that voice and accent, TPM would not have the reputation it does.

Everything else was pretty decent, the sound design of the movie was amazing.

I mean, I went and saw it multiple times for the spectacle alone.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I never realized till now that Nute Gunray is a Martian from Spaced Invaders.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I agree with Mike Stoklasa. I miss when GB and other 80s movies were just movies and not some kind of holy text that has to have every piece dissected and worshiped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

DamnitGannet posted:

i want to see it because its exactly the kind of poo poo i like but i dont want to watch people pretend to rape or be raped, so i dont know. is it as graphic as i have heard? maybe he should make movies with less of that and more people will see it

It's not really graphic The female lead gets bent over a bed and her dress pulled up but you don't see anything..

It's a roshemon style movie so only one time is actually traumatic so to speak.