Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A lot of discussions in this forum are by people who enlist/comission/are drafted into a military, go fight in a war or otherwise see action abroad, or maybe even just support these activities, then come back to a relatively safe home.

This thread is not for that.

The Gulf War in 1991 for me, in Israel, was like this: I was a kid, living in a very remote town. In the news we were told that Iraq has chemical weapons, and we needed to worry about SCUDs coming down and hitting us with them. So every single person got a bug-out NBC bag, with a gas mask, atropine syringe, and some other crap, to protect ourselves personally. We were (poorly) instructed in using the masks and when to use the atropine (by far the cause of most Israeli casualties during the war), and how to make one room in the house a "safe room" - few or no outside windows, every crack either taped shut or filled with towels soaked in soda water. In case we started to hear rising and falling sirens (to this day I get a bit jittery whenever I hear the volunteer fire brigade horn here in the US, it sounds just like it), or heard the codewords "Viper" ("נחש צפע"), we were supposed to take our NBC kits and assemble in the safe room, preferably with a radio or television, and await further instructions. We'd hear where the missile had actually fallen, and eventually hear the calming sirens (stationary tone) and the code words "Heavy Heatwave" ("שרב כבד"), which meant we were out of danger.

Nothing ever fell near us, but SCUDs (or possibly the less than successful Patriot missiles the US was kind enough to provide us with to intercept them) did fall close enough to my grandparents that they moved in with us for a while until the war was over.

Since the government was trying to encourage people to remain indoors and close to a possible safe room during the weekends, public TV finally had shows Saturday morning - until then there was nothing before the afternoon Arabic-language content, after which there would be the evening news and entertainment.

I remember being concerned about the missiles, although my parents stressed that we personally weren't in danger; confused about the change in routine; and also frustrated that our government wasn't allowed to do anything.

Anyway, this is probably the mildest discussion of actually living through war that anyone can talk about here, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What up my Tzabar.
I grew up in Jerusalem but my experience was largely the same.

I remember quite a lot of the jokes and comedy sketches of the time, as a kid the threat of it all didn't really register.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

By popular demand posted:

What up my Tzabar.
I grew up in Jerusalem but my experience was largely the same.

I remember quite a lot of the jokes and comedy sketches of the time, as a kid the threat of it all didn't really register.

"And don't inject atropine!" "Auggghh!"

"The US is developing roaches that will dig from Australia all the way to Iraq..."

That was really only funny because we needed the distraction, I think.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"The US is developing roaches that will dig from Australia all the way to Iraq..."

I think australian roaches just do that already though?