Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Grimson posted:

Long thread on all the "football fans arriving in Qatar" and doing a parade through the streets.
https://twitter.com/RonnieHansen/status/1591438100328509440?s=20&t=dTSKTeCb3Zh6qJBq5k6yrQ

All of the fans look very Indian/Nepali and Sri Lankan and they're mostly wearing brand new jerseys, no old classics or team jerseys.

Tweets were deleted but there’s more lols here

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1591169394348265472?s=46&t=Pn8ttNnnBZDLxPAkvze6Fg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
noted Good Lads Bruno Fernandes and Christian Eriksen

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/13/it-should-be-done-in-a-better-way-fernandes-criticises-qatar-world-cup

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

lmao that of all the names who've worn the England #7 jersey, that guy opted for his own name

e; the guy wearing #9 as well :laffo:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Qatar are the reigning Asian champions from 2019, and they beat Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Japan in that tournament. Not saying they're world beaters because they clearly aren't, but they might well surprise a few people here

Mind you it would be extremely funny if they beat Ecuador 1-0 in the opening game thanks to a dodgy second-half goal, so I hope that's what happens

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I think they all got $2m in literal brown envelopes back in 2010 op

I remember reading the Australian bid team was giving out pens and stuffed koalas or something, and being concerned about the ethics of bribery and unprompted gifts etc, while the Qataris were literally going around with brown envelopes stuffed full of unmarked non-sequential bills

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mustard Iceman posted:

things are looking up.

Perfect

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Arivia posted:

it's an animated jizz rag

The mascot is clearly a loving tribute to the bedsheets used to cover arrested corrupt FIFA execs on their way out of that Swiss hotel

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mustard Iceman posted:

Fans of Peru and Australia are probably stoked about not having to go through an inter-confederation playoff for the third cycle in a row.

And now New Zealand is basically guaranteed a slot forever, so they might be into it.

The group stage is going to be dreadful, though.

I'm Australian and I hate it

We were the last team to qualify for 2022 so there was already a serious "making up the numbers" vibe to our effort this time around. Gunna be even worse when we will likely qualify each time with worse players and less of a challenge

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Should hand the armbands out to every coach, manager, advisor, doctor and every other support team member standing on the sidelines. They're not in the field of play so it shouldn't be a problem according to FIFA

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

So pepperoni in Saudi isn't pork? :wtc:

A lot of majority-Muslim countries will serve "bacon" but it's not pork bacon, they'll have turkey bacon or chicken bacon etc. I haven't travelled much in the Middle East but I've seen it in Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, and I assume it's in other places too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Moktaro posted:

Apparently Qatar pissed off their neighbors enough to get their asses blockaded for a while, they're probably all pointing and laughing as what a shitshow this is.

Also Jesus Christ, kosher is basically halal's kissing cousin, why would you choose that hill to die on (it's because they're rich fuckers who have never been told no in their lives)

There's a long-but-good series on Tifo about this whole thing, how Qatar got the cup in the first place and the wider geopolitical dynamics in the background. Pissing off their neighbours and getting blockaded was about the same time Infantino and others were floating the idea of Qatar "sharing" the cup with its neighbours - wouldn't that be great for world peace and harmony!?! :laffo:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mickolution posted:

If a Celtic and Rangers friendly couldn't do it, I don't know what can.

Anyway...

Qatartacus :laffo:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Sepp Blatter literally lost his job giving Russia and Qatar their World Cups.

supreme irony that he didn't even want qatar to get the cup, he wanted 2018 russia and 2022 USA so he could say he ended the cold war lmao

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the england band is literally being paid by qatar to be there

wasn't there a story that all of the paid-for fans arrived in qatar and immediately had their payments revoked? :laffo:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

qirex posted:

United Passions’ opening weekend in the US it grossed under a thousand dollars total.

which of the actors said something like "i haven't seen the film, which i've heard is very bad, but i have seen the house it paid for, which is very nice"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Pretty sure Tim Roth said something along the lines of "I'm well aware the film is garbage but they paid well and I have three kids in college."

this is the one i was thinking of, thanks everyone

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

worth watching the video to see the actual flag in question, and: lol. lmao.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

quality new thread title, lol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

qatartacus? more like badpostacus

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dubai built the world's tallest building(tm), but then couldn't be arsed to connect it to the sewage lines. So every morning there is a line of trucks just to carry away the poo.

Dubai built the world's tallest building(tm), but then couldn't sell any of the apartments because of the financial crisis, ran out of money, then had to get a loan from their noisy neighbours in Abu Dhabi on the condition that the tower was renamed after Abu Dhabi's ruler - Sheik Khalifa.

This is funny to me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

hansi flick in an extremely hank scorpio voice

"trying to win?! why didn't i think of that??"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

amazing

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

wonder which of the fan accommodations it was

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

all of this will be reclaimed by the desert and nothing of value will be lost

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Infantino, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Only teams from the host nation's conference are invited

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Applying them to draws is nonsensical and would hugely distort how the game is played. My guess is they would make the game more defensive and encourage smaller teams to grind out draws when they would otherwise chase a goal. Certainly it would induce teams to spend a lot more time training for pens as opposed to, you know, the game.

100% this, but not just smaller teams. Big teams would do it too.

Remember when they had the "golden goal" rule (ie next goal wins) for extra time, thinking that it would encourage more attacking play. Instead it did the exact opposite, as teams dug in and preferred to take their chance with penalties, rather than the risk of committing players forward and getting caught short on the counter.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Only the IOC is more corrupt than FIFA so this is entirely possible

it really is astonishing how basically every major sports administration the world over is terrible, useless, and hopelessly corrupt

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

foot like a traction engine

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

loving hell that’s awful to hear :smith:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

No they aren't, there's a separate team for the players, I have friends that do crowd medical work in the prem. It's the same for major tournaments.

This might just be a really unfortunate case of a massive pulmonary embolism in someone suffering from a viral illness but there's always going to be a question mark of his body doesn't get transferred back to the state's soon.

That can absolutely happen though, a friend’s dad had a massive heart attack walking out of Old Trafford earlier this year, and despite immediate attention from doctors, CPR, an AED and being rushed to hospital within minutes, his heart just never started again. He wasn’t that old either, and in reasonable health.

Not saying that’s happened here, and I really hope there’s an open, honest and genuine investigation (preferably an independent one) because everyone deserves to know the truth.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Laffo I only just noticed that’s Jared Kushner standing on the left

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

It was national news today when FIFA announced the Subway Eat Fresh Socceroos had climbed 11 places in the rankings:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-20/socceroos-reach-decade-high-fifa-ranking-after-qatar-world-cup/101790942

edit; though I don't think anyone gives a gently caress right now, because this also happened at the weekend:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-19/police-release-images-of-soccer-pitch-invasion/101786688

webmeister fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

It’s so that AFL and rugby league hooligans have something to do during the offseason