Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Good OP.

Bad WC

Just remembered the artificial clouds lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
- Not sure which nation has the record for world cup arrests but England Lads On Tour is going to break it on the first day

- At least one footballer will be detained by police for scoring and taking his shirt off to reveal a migrant solidarity message

- One teams hotel won't be finished by the time they arrive

- There will be at least a 30 minute half time show for the final

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
How is the QMNT getting on anyway. I remember a lot of talk that they were planning to get as many uncapped players from other countries to move there to become naturalised qatari citizens but presumably that didn't happen. Are we going to see levels of host nation result rigging not seen since South Korea in 2002

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hoping for stadiums to have a WWE style wall of tellies for fans who can't make it. Maybe those CGI fans they had for the baseball last year

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Which stadium most looks like a giant vagina?

Which stadium looks most like a stadium and not an unfinished pile of construction materials

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
As a semi-serious question: how will the authorities react to any naughtiness? Like you said there's probably going to be alcohol-friendly fan zones and I've just got visions of the qatar qops just wading into a crowd of badly sunburned England fans who've been drinking nonstop since they got off the plane. Is it likely they'll be told to cool it a bit from how they'd typically deal with such incidents?

Obviously the cost of flying out will put off a lot of fans who were breaking into Wembley because it was easy to get to but it just feels set up for Baz and Gaz to get their passports taken off them and detained indefinitely for doing the German bombers song and Boris is going to have to give a statement about it and it's all I will hear about for months

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just 9 months away!

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1506251618320277513?s=20&t=bYjJMchUilzieqav21FyMw

quote:

“Now, everybody knows that I find that ridiculous,” said Van Gaal, whose Dutch side have qualified for the finals after missing the 2018 tournament. “It’s ridiculous that we are going to play in a country – how does Fifa say it? To develop the football there. That is bullshit. But it doesn’t matter – it’s about money, commercial interests. That’s the main motive of Fifa."

Van gaal rules and I appreciate his commitment to just kicking off at all times.

Also in predictable cursed world cup news: crypto.com announced as official world cup sponsor. Looking forward to someone trying to explain cryptocurrency to mark lawrenson during some group stage game where players boots are melting off their feet

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also it's come to my attention that the world cup is 8 months away. It's early and I can't count. I'm not changing it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Who will be the next El Hadji Diouf?

If Canada manage to qualify and don't lose every game I feel like they're all getting prem deals. Leeds are still in for Aaronson provided they don't get relegated and I feel like a Canadian will be the cool new accessory for 2023

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Fresh batch of qomplaints coming in. I tried getting some choice quotes but ended up just being a full c/p of the article. Did like this bit though:

quote:

The Norwegian FA president’s speech was followed by an unexpected address from the general secretary of the Honduran FA, José Ernesto Mejía, who said it was not “the right forum or the right moment” to make such remarks.

Do not talk about the FIFA's culpability in enabling the most comically corrupt and bloodstained world cup since the last one at the FIFA congress.

Also very cool of FIFA to tell us about all their constructive dialogues with the country where it is illegal to be gay and fans' safety has still not been fully guaranteed. From another article today:

quote:

Nassar al-Khater, the Qatar World Cup chief executive, has previously said: “I would like to assure any fan, of any gender, [sexual] orientation, religion, race to rest assured that Qatar is one of the most safe countries in the world — and they’ll all be welcome here.”

He talked then about “a lot of training going into security personnel” and said: “Public displays of affection is frowned upon, it’s not part of our culture – but that goes across the board to everybody.”

All goals to be celebrated with a firm handshake, Mark Hughes going wild in the crowd

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We exploited some folks

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Still plenty of time to sort out where to get water and security guards before the big kickoff in *checks calendar* seven weeks???

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
This is gonna be the shittest world cup ever lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

This is gonna be the shittest world cup ever lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Banning walking around with your shirt off is anti-england discrimination and it cannot be allowed to continue

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Look the gay people just need to compromise

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Have you not all considered the fact that David Beckham and idk one of the other rent a stars on FIFAs books went there and said it was great and it was going to be the biggest party of all time. How many caps have these troublemaking journalists and migrant workers got. Not many I bet

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
*lampard face* no but seriously it's really depressing and not very surprising that FIFA and governments in general are just dusting off their hands and going 'hey were only here for the football and our influence extends exactly as far as that pitch and nowhere else'

Especially sad to think that people were highlighting these issues basically the instant Qatar's name came out of the envelope. Even more so that Qatar have already won and get to have superstar players and FIFA execs saying how great everything is and the media (by which I mean specifically football coverage since the issues have been extensively reported on elsewhere) getting in line by saying stuff like 'well it's a controversial world cup but now we're just here to focus on the football. Aren't the stadiums clean'

I will watch it because 1) I'm a massive hypocrite 2) Im a mug who pays the licence fee so not paying extra for the privilege of watching it, and also because the world cup rules and I wont let these grasping fuckers ruin it. I hope every goal is celebrated by a player taking off their shirt to reveal a 'gently caress EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS' message and every post match interview cut short because players and managers are cutting wrestling promos about the state of things. Just make things as awkward and uncomfortable as possible for the guys saying 'hey we pay the slaves now and only kill them for being actively gay what more do you want' because realistically what more can you do

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 4, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Accepting £60 a day and a world cup ticket you would presumably have paid for anyway in exchange for posting about how much fun you're having and snitching on people saying mean things on twitter is really bleak

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The clouds will be here any day now

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Without handing it to uncle Sepp, I get the logic behind wanting to hold a world cup in the middle east. I think there was a genuine part of him that was proud to bring the world cup to africa. But like, putting the human rights abuses and massive corruption and sportswashing to one side (very easy to do) from a logistical standpoint this was never going to work and everyone knew it as soon as they opened the envelope. Sad!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

He's said a few times that 2010 was his big achievement in a career of corruption and hell, he probably means it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah my point was more that expanding the potential host nations to every part of the world is good, but you should probably pick a country where they don't have to build everything from scratch in record time using slave labour

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
FIFA world cup brought to you by dahir insaat

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Human rights for all?
No, slave labour!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The England lions are my favourite squadron

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Just saw a qammercial for the hashtag road to 2022 and I am reassured that quatar is a really cool and fun country that deserves the world qup

More and more social media accounts registered a week ago are saying this

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao I forgot about the ticket app that requires permission to delete content on your phone and make calls from your device remotely. Just normal app stuff

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Everybody is aware of the score
These scores have been seen previously

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Trying to sleep in my freezing tent in the middle of the desert while the rent a cops teargas a load of French ultras. Hanging up the do not disturb sign on my thin piece of cloth

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Qatari authorities bad but it would be funny if gary lineker got fined and deported for doing a mean tweet

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Piling all my money on a 3-0 qatar win after Ecuador forfeit due to 24 hour food poisoning from a dodgy £9 greek salad

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Why bother with bribes when you can just create a 100% official FIFA twitter account and announce Qatar as the winners of every match North Korea style

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Want a bottle of official FIFAtm champagne

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

I unironically want one.

If someone can get it down to 180x20-50 and still readable I can get it uploaded and given out as a fun world cup prize

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Nice work!

It's good because it gives the reader a constant reminder of the state of this world cup and also of your posts

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
He did the opening ceremony in Russia as well so at least his stance is consistent

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao at all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The party never stops at the FIFAtm Fan Gulag