Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Another super cool, not-at-all-controversial thing Qatar is doing: offering free trips for fans if they do exactly as told and snitch on people badmouthing Qatar (NYT paywall, plaintext).

Yep, just a totally normal thing for a country to do. No shady business here at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Don't worry, those mouths will be watering at the stadium...because the stadium will have run out of water...because this is a gigantic shitshow.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

However, just in case, out of respect...

I see what_ you did t_here

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

hosed up if t_rue

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Just more time to tweet what a great, sober, time you're having at the greatest world cup of all time

Brave of you to think that Twitter will last that long.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

joepinetree posted:

loving awesome that a day after the whole thing with suspicions of match fixing with Ecuador, FIFA also announced today that they will not share the audio from VAR decisions with the press or the public.

If true (can't find any official announcements, just tweets/articles from Brazil), :wtc:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Unexpected alcohol ban opens up people's budgets
Fans' per diem food allowance gets taken away

Galaxy brain thinking

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

If she's not she's pretty drat close.

Wikipedia posted:

Hyde is the daughter of Sir Alastair Edgcumbe James Dudley-Williams, 2nd Baronet, and his wife, the former Diana Elizabeth Jane Duncan. Through her father, she is the granddaughter of aviation pioneer and Conservative politician Sir Rolf Dudley-Williams, 1st Baronet.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 18, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

What I love the most about rich arab gulf potentates is that fundamentally they truly understand the one thing western officials truly understand, Money and hypocrisy.

That's two things OP :eng101:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

tbf, completely forgetting about women is entirely on brand for FIFA.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

i genuinely wouldn't put it past them

No way would Qatar do this. They're trying to look modern and metropolitan...they'll use the foam pit from Twitchcon that injured a bunch of attendees.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Okay I haven't heard about this one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna51410

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Oh yeah, a female streamer literally broke her back during Twitchcon’s official livestream. It was…..not great.

Even "better", doctors informed her she was pregnant and in order to un-gently caress her spine she had to get an abortion.

The Dashcon ball pit never actively hurt anyone, so the Twitchcon foam pit seems more on brand for Qatar.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

It's actually rather shocking there isn't a crypto sponsor for this event since the two seem made for each other.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Congratulations, you've all but guaranteed that it will take place in the Seychelles because FIFA.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Wait, the mods here don't wear a trilby with a card that says "MOD" tucked into the band? Well now my whole world is shattered :smith:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That just increases the hilarity of the situation though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that it was literally the IRS who went after us soccer sphere Chuck Blazer (a real name for an American to have) for not paying taxes on his bribe money, and that he had a wire fitted to his rascal scooter so the FBI could go after all of them under the RICO Act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_corruption_case

Chuck Blazer, that's a name I haven't seen in a long time...

Fun fact: he an apartment in Trump Tower just for his cats. I don't think you can say "I am guilty of committing financial crimes for decades" any louder by having a $6k/mo. apartment for just your cats.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

Maybe if we ask nicely Qatar will keep hold of Ronaldo

It's already been proven that Ronaldo won't take "no" for an answer though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:five:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm waiting for the fans to bitch about how there's absolutely nothing to do in the areas as we're reaching the point where there's only 2 games per matchday and days off.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Jesus titty-loving Christ.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

ozmunkeh posted:

they should lean into the madness and do the mls penalties from the halfway line

MLS hasn't done that since '99...which means I fully expect FIFA to actually do it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

We had one a few days ago:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Tai posted:

Qatar is planning to host the world championship sking

Is this before or after they host the 4th of July Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm sure that despite all the controversy and shady dealings that the attendance at this World Cup has truly exceeded everyone's expectations....oh....yeah, that's not good.

quote:

Previously, world soccer's governing body FIFA said that stadium attendance in Qatar had surpassed attendance at stadiums during a corresponding period at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

This seems like a lie, no?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well it's a good thing America has a stellar track record when it comes to bringing justice to those involved in the murder of their journalists in the Middle East...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh....fun....

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, it was linking to that story.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, nothing short of there being an OR at the stadium would've saved him unfortunately. Pretty much a death sentence...unless you're a member of Judas Priest.

And in trying to find any updates regarding Al-Misslam I found that an ITV director died during the group stage :wtc:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh and a security guard fell to his death at a stadium.

jfc

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

It was about shots on target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Could specify how they pulled the event off particularly well

Of the three people (that we know of) that died during the tourney only one could possibly be blamed on the hosts. If that's not "particularly well" then maybe you need to re-evaluate your standards :colbert:

/s