Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mrenda posted:

I know Ireland at USA 94 is something of a joke (although some good performances, get in Houghton!) But Jack Charlton and the Irish team of the time basically called for and pioneered some of the player care stuff we see in modern games. They wanted water breaks, they wanted water to be laid in bottles around the pitch so players could take a drink during any brief stoppage, and they wanted water to be allowed on when someone was down for an injury. All that stuff is standard now, but Charlton and Ireland were made out as cranky fools of a team with no hope trying to upset a tournament they couldn't win.

Never mind the Aldrige incident where some loving moron of an American FIFA official in a ridiculous blue and yellow uniform with no clue about the sport other than he was gifted a job because of connections refused to let them make a sub.

There was a lot of anti-Irish talk during that, while Charlton was making extremely sensible recommendations for playing football in a place with billion degree weather. Things that are now standard almost 30 years later.

As for Qatar, I'm predicting a lot of it will go off without incident. There might be one or two "big events" but most fan stuff will get sorted out diplomatically if you're from a major western nation and if you're not it'll be swept under the carpet by the media looking down on poorer nations. The media will also go whole hog on, "The football is wonderful, despite the problems. Isn't the World Cup wonderful! A time of peace and nations with differences coming together." And it'll all be a giant wet fart and FIFA will continue to take bribes and accept gold watches. And poor people will continue to die.

What I remember of Ireland in that tournament is that all 4 teams in their group went 1-1-1, and at least Ireland played some attacking foot, although it was bombs away. The afternoon game times were a travesty and an abuse, due to insistence by UEFA on having them played at Euro prime time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Butterfly Valley posted:

If actual fans from richer countries like Germany and England can't afford to go why in the hell do you think a bunch of random South Asians could afford it

Also is plastic national supporting actually a thing? Buying shirts is one thing but actually buying tickets and actively supporting the team?

This is the Plastic World Cup, OP.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Eezee posted:

The argument from Qatari citizens is that those are migrant workers who are there totally voluntarily because they love football and support their favorite teams, since India did not qualify and organized a big parade on social media.

I guess that is not completely impossible? I dont think anyone claimed those were legit tourists instead of migrant workers, whether they are paid to be there or not.

If we're talking in not completely impossible, they could be subterranean Lizard folks who like to get it on and have a World Cup bash.

The Qatari argument falls more in line with the U.S. Southern plantation owners of 200 years ago that the slaves were "happy, content, well-fed, living the best lives God provided".......

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Vinestalk posted:

There's no responsibility on them to tangibly change anything, because everyone is aware they can't. But the idea that a player can't protest something at a sporting event is loving ridiculous.

I remember watching that. Apples and Oranges, OP. It raised a literal shitstorm. Silent Majority 'Murica wanted to do bad things to them. Those 1968 guys, John Carlos and Tommie Smith, they were what you call woke. I guess we'll see if there's any players among the 32 national teams who are what you call woke.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar boycotted those Olympics for similar reasons and the media destroyed his character and went after him for decades because of it. His career pretty obviously wasn't ended because of it but it definitely obliterated his public image for the rest of his career.

They didn't destroy anything, not his public image or anything like that. He was a really sensitive, intelligent, introverted guy who happened to also be black as well as an athletic unicorn. He didn't fit in any paradigms the public had.

It was too difficult for me to get enthusiastic about representing a country that refused to represent me or others of my color. Another reason I chose not to participate was my intense dislike for the International Olympic Committee’s president, Avery Brundage, who, during the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, benched two Jewish runners so as not to embarrass Adolph Hitler by having Jews win a gold medal. Not only was this against the Olympic rules, but information has since been revealed that Brundage’s construction company was bidding for German contracts, which is why he was so eager to please Hitler. I couldn’t bring myself to work under the supervision of someone like that. America was angry at me for not showing gratitude to the country that had given me so many opportunities. I was grateful, but I also thought it disingenuous to show appreciation unless all people had the same opportunities. Just because I had made it to a lifeboat didn’t mean I could forget those who hadn’t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSi6iF9kVBs&t=65s

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

the sex ghost posted:

Trying to sleep in my freezing tent in the middle of the desert while the rent a cops teargas a load of French ultras. Hanging up the do not disturb sign on my thin piece of cloth

So many ways this thing can go sideways.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Potemkin Copa Mundial? International Gulag Cup? What a piece of poo poo farce that I will still watch goddamit.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Erm, *looks over Arabic menu with Google translate* How much is the Dis-entry Special?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

goatface posted:

Might as well double down on the dodgy.

The Ray Parlour presents: World Cup Qatarstrophe> Doubling down on the dodgy

mods

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elliptical Dick posted:

Did anyone say "what a shitshow" yet?

This is the pre-shitshow entertainment.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

I believe they have fans. Those count as air conditioning, right?

Realfans don't need no steenkin air conditioners!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

*Italian Shania Twain voice*: EEEEEEEEEEY I feel-a like-a da woman!

I was gonna go with the Helen Reddy song, but....ah hell

I'ma gay, I'ma ginger, I'ma disabilo...

I'ma wooomann

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mila kunis posted:

apparently they've flown in extra police from places like turkey and pakistan to cope with the influx of people. this could be tragic and/or hilarious

*Rainman meltdown* Oh boy. Not good. Oh boy. Vern. Whoop.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joepinetree posted:

Eh, it's not something that is happening to them as much as it is something that they are doing.

I don't think it was ever about PR. I don't think a single one of the rich fucks cares too much about what the NY Times is printing about them. And if they did they could have just done what they said they would do. Let some team captain wear a rainbow flag, let people drink some beer in the stadium that even without all the infrastructure they promised the media can spin this as a transformative event. But that means that maybe one of their indentured servants might have a bit of fun.

For me, the WC was always about the rich Qataris wanting to party in some expensive VIP suite with a David Beckham and some models. And once that was secured, they could just not give a gently caress anymore.

You're right on. Seems like every week now, we get a different iteration of detached, feckless billionaires going "gently caress you and gently caress the person behind you too" to the rest of the world.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mickolution posted:

Genuine question, what do you call it?

In very late with Celtistan.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thassa pretty flag actually

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

I’m convinced a large part of it is simply asking who the Qatari leadership and elite views as it’s peers — their counterparts in the other gulf states — and whose opinions they care about (the same). Clearly they only care about the opinions of people in the broader western world to a point (to when their money would become reputationally toxic, which we are very far from- an article pointed out that the #10 landowner in the UK is Qatar, though I don’t know if that represented a singular entity or Qataris as a group).

njsykora posted:

London’s main industry is basically money laundering. And they don’t care about reputation so long as they have something everyone needs (oil). See the US basically turning a blind eye to everything the oil states do and then they still said “lol no” when Biden went to them begging to increase production.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

:rip: Grant and my boy GOM, good lads who loved the beautiful game.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dell_Zincht posted:

He probably wasn't murdered, but they also didn't really try very hard to keep him alive either, so... *shrugs*

Coroner's report: "passively unalived."

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ruh.....

Roh

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bea Nanner posted:

actually when you are corrupt, calling everyone else corrupt seems to be a surprisingly effective smokescreen

Or saying to actual non-corrupt agencies that they aren't corrupt. It's like the liars and truth-tellers paradigm.......or is it?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'll take "What does one call a gathering of soulless billionaires for $5" Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Akbar posted:

association hooligans

There's a 12 step program for that.