Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1593639574378627075

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
so Robbie Williams employs trafficked migrant workers in his kitchen?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

wtf is he doing in his kitchen :stare:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
He did the opening ceremony in Russia as well so at least his stance is consistent

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

the sex ghost posted:

He did the opening ceremony in Russia as well so at least his stance is consistent

:hmmyes:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
loving awesome that a day after the whole thing with suspicions of match fixing with Ecuador, FIFA also announced today that they will not share the audio from VAR decisions with the press or the public.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

joepinetree posted:

loving awesome that a day after the whole thing with suspicions of match fixing with Ecuador, FIFA also announced today that they will not share the audio from VAR decisions with the press or the public.

If true (can't find any official announcements, just tweets/articles from Brazil), :wtc:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Might as well double down on the dodgy.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

congrats to Qatar for Asia's first World Cup

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

He's no angel

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

blue footed boobie posted:

Remember the artificial clouds?

You can’t mention this without the associated video rendering of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idC5I7aDnI

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 18, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

goatface posted:

Might as well double down on the dodgy.

The Ray Parlour presents: World Cup Qatarstrophe> Doubling down on the dodgy

mods

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Qatar bribing their way to the final is absolutely the result this tournament deserves

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Qatar bribing their way to the final is absolutely the result this tournament deserves

Why stop at the final. Qatar world champions. Would that be any more brazen than everything else they've done so far?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

joepinetree posted:

Why stop at the final. Qatar world champions. Would that be any more brazen than everything else they've done so far?

make the final against a world all stars XI, have glorious qatari captain accept the world cup standing on the back of neymar, big ron, and messi

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Extra long studs on, so they feel it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Reminds me of something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfgUXmdBrJA

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lmfao

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/fans-paid-to-attend-world-cup-by-qatar-have-daily-allowance-cancelled

Fans paid to attend World Cup by Qatar have daily allowance cancelled

Fan Leader Network money removed as people prepare to travel

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol this guy owns

quote:

The executive director of Football Supporters Europe, Ronan Evain, said: “Who would have thought that an authoritarian regime with an appalling workers’ rights record was not to be trusted? I suppose that’s what you get for accepting to be paid the equivalent of a Qatari monthly minimum wage every four days for the pleasure of doing absolutely nothing.”

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao at all of this

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd think they might be having doubts about the ROI they can expect from this tournament, but that should be chump change at this point.

Increasingly seems like they're only one big sulk away from taking all the balls and going home.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

goatface posted:

I'd think they might be having doubts about the ROI they can expect from this tournament, but that should be chump change at this point.

Increasingly seems like they're only one big sulk away from taking all the balls and going home.

One bad news day and we can cancel this poo poo show. C’mon Saturday!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Unexpected alcohol ban opens up people's budgets
Fans' per diem food allowance gets taken away

Galaxy brain thinking

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just cancel the World Cup and do it in Europe next summer. This will be a nice winter break for the players, and those injured will have time to recover. It’s totally doable and not unreasonable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

goatface posted:

They've spent like $200B on this tournament, something like 10x the previous most expensive World Cup. The economic ROI was never there, and so far they're throwing away every last bit of sportswashing ROI by failing to maintain even a facade of progress on anything except advancing the interests of the state of Qatar. On that note, one of the few new bits of information I saw in that Netflix FIFA documentary was about just how many trade deals and arms contracts and so on Qatar was signing with various countries using the World Cup as a bridge.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
qatari customs denying player visas would be amazing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

qatari customs denying player visas would be amazing

Qatar wins the World Cup because no other teams were allowed in, South Asian fans get drafted at the last minute to form makeshift XIs for the Qatari team to play against

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Just cancel the World Cup and do it in Europe next summer. This will be a nice winter break for the players, and those injured will have time to recover. It’s totally doable and not unreasonable.

:rubby:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Qatar wins the World Cup because no other teams were allowed in, South Asian fans get drafted at the last minute to form makeshift XIs for the Qatari team to play against
Lol

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't think they'd actually go through with banning beer at the stadiums

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

vyelkin posted:

They've spent like $200B on this tournament, something like 10x the previous most expensive World Cup. The economic ROI was never there, and so far they're throwing away every last bit of sportswashing ROI by failing to maintain even a facade of progress on anything except advancing the interests of the state of Qatar. On that note, one of the few new bits of information I saw in that Netflix FIFA documentary was about just how many trade deals and arms contracts and so on Qatar was signing with various countries using the World Cup as a bridge.

i dont think this or PSG was really about sportswashing (don't even know how that's supposed to work), its just really rich people who've never had to face pushback in their lives wanting toys for themselves

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's an absolutely trivial amount of money compared to their overall spend so it just looks spiteful. The tournament hasn't even started and they savage the positivity team because they've not made the world love them already.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This article covers it but basically now it's too late for anyone to do anything Qatar can tell everyone who've been critical to gently caress off

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ndroidApp_Other

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Jose posted:

This article covers it but basically now it's too late for anyone to do anything Qatar can tell everyone who've been critical to gently caress off

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ndroidApp_Other

please be hubris before the fall please be hubris before the fall please be hubris before the fall

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
depends on who's hubris you are talking about, tbh.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

Lmao at all of this

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I would like to rescind my previous assumption that Qatar wanted everyone to show up, spend money, and go home to tell other foreigners with money about what a pleasant vacation spot Qatar is.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I want my $20 bud

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Marina Hyde's column on the whole thing is excellent as well: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/beer-ban-beckham-and-a-vagina-stadium-the-world-cup-in-inglorious-technicolor-qatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

mila kunis posted:

lmfao

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/fans-paid-to-attend-world-cup-by-qatar-have-daily-allowance-cancelled

Fans paid to attend World Cup by Qatar have daily allowance cancelled

Fan Leader Network money removed as people prepare to travel

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that if you flew to Qatar to watch football, you deserve this