Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i don't know where to ask but this thread is at least about the host instead of other stuff. what's up with the extra long tail on the t in qatar in the official logos? does it make a slightly different sound to the qatari people or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

I think it's supposed to just invoke the idea of written Arabic.

oh fuckin lol

I don't know FIFA stuff much (seeing TRP as a top-level forum temporarily is neat though) but I can believe it's just dumb poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

This is the Plastic World Cup, OP.

I thought that was Miss Universe

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oh that’s going to go well for everyone involved

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i don't think literally anyone is gonna be happy with this world cup except maybe the members of the winning team who get that feather in their cap and have it shine enough to blot out everything else (and that's fair)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
NOW!

HELLO, NOW!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

as a redheaded disabled trans woman get hosed you piece of trash

e: to be clear if twitter goes down (likely) this is a response to the linked tweet not psyer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

So are the stadiums and training grounds air conditioned? Obviously the fan stuff isn’t

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

How do you air condition an entire stadium?

I have no clue which is why I asked.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf every previous world cup the infrastructure was pretty much already in place and the commitments were just stuff like "we'll cover up the exposed rebar and prop up the collapsing bits at the Maracana"

qatar had to build a bunch of stadiums from scratch that are then going to get mothballed afterwards because lol gently caress the poor

No no the guardian article says they’ve built the stadiums to be modular and will donate the pieces to needy communities elsewhere afterwards, totally happening

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mustard Iceman posted:

things are looking up.

i genuinely wouldn't put it past them

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i dont know where else to post this but given we're six hours away from The Greatest World Cup, 6,500 Skulls and Counting, how are we doing MDTs/general discussion thread? Are we just doing one mega one?

it should be a qatari world cup mdt: looks excellent, lots of custom images in the op, unique for each match, but 10 minutes before the start it's locked and no one can post in it ever. after the match the op is permabanned and their family is denied a ban benefit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

it's an animated jizz rag

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

considering ecuador had maybe 5,000 fans in the stadium today (and the us and mexico are going home immediately), they better break out the fake crowd noise from the pandemic era

owned as all hell

what do you mean the us and mexico are going home immediately?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

beep beep it's the bad teams bus

it goes to *checks notes* Hamad International Airport

so wouldn't that still have them around for like a week and a half? since teams seem to get about three or four days off between games, and they have three games to play in their round-robin groups.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

What is hyperbole

i don't really pay much attention to football normally and i'm trying to figure out if i missed something, sorry

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TDepressionEarl posted:

Southeast Asian teams wants more trash teams at the WC. Thailand and Vietnam can't hurdle the West Asian powers like UAE, Bahrain, and Lebanon(???). But we would let you drink and gay, we promise. No promises about the heat though.

that is genuinely a problem with an already ugly format. i thought it would be 8 groups with 6 teams top two go thru, no best thirds.

madg: mothers against drink and gay

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4808225/world-cup-chaos-englandus-fans-face-ticket-issues

What you wanted to actually get in and watch the matches with the tickets you bought? Yeah right

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
why does the world cup need eight new stadiums anyway

there's 3? 4? matches per day, so even assuming you can only play one match a day (getting people in and out, groundskeeping) that's still 4 stadiums. or does it take a whole extra day off to reset a stadium?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

If you care about the quality of play, you should leave at least a day in between matches for the field to recover otherwise the turf gets all hosed up.

gotcha, that makes sense. thanks!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I get the olympics/world cup infrastructure idea, i just didn't know why 8 in particular. Vyelkin answered what I was asking about, sorry for accidentally starting a fight.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I feel like permabanned poster migrantstomper58...

Watching the fifa World Cup Qatar 2022 has given me prodromal schizophrenia

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

Is this gonna be like when F1 had a race in Saudi literally the day after there was a missile strike a few miles from the track?

A couple nhl games just got cancelled because the arena in Nashville got flooded due to a city water main break. This stuff regularly happens everywhere. There’s enough to laugh at without being paranoid over fires. I don’t think there’s been much evidence of actual shoddy construction in the Qatari stadiums right? Like they’re fit for purpose, just horribly managed and built using slave labour.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Missile strikes and water main breaks definitely seem like comparable situations, yes

The fire near Lusail Stadium was a missile strike? What?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

whypick1 posted:

We had one a few days ago:

i was going to be mad if it wasn't the cumrag ghost mascot but okay, that's an acceptable take too

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I can’t imagine the Olympics going for an even larger mess after everything this has turned out to be. Qatar is just too small. Now a Gulf petro-states joint bid…

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

puchu posted:

Surely Boston marathon 2013 is the real record holder here

wasn't most of that audience, not runners?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Cool I hope they turn the Hotels into free homes for migrant workers and they get citizenship

lol you think the cum ghost is gonna go for that

i'm presuming this'll get unpinned as a top level forum soon so as a rando who wandered in here to post but doesn't really care about football and never watched a match y'all were fun, good, and nice to hang out with. thanks for hosting, goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
hey TRP sorry all your friends got banned for nothing glad they're back for the fixtures on sunday?

bye again