Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Christian Horner confirmed gayest F1 boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm somewhat surprised how little resistance FIFA has offered thus far. I mean you'd think they'd find at least one symbolic issue to push back on PR but they give even less of a poo poo than I thought.

They give zero shits, what is anyone gonna do? Not broadcast the World Cup? Not send teams to the main reason for national teams existing? They aren't even pushing back on the sponsor bits because is Budweiser actually going to give up being the sole beer available at one of the biggest sporting events in the world just because they weren't at one?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Reek posted:

So what is the reason we can't all just be like, hey guys fifa sucks, we're out. We're gonna make our own fifa, with blackjack, and hookers!

(But seriously why can't we just burn it all to the ground and start over?)

Same reason you can't have a new major american football or baseball league. The existing structure is too powerful and will pull every lever it has to destroy you if you look like you'll be any kind of threat. All FIFA has to do to destroy any attempt to make a new global football org is to say any player who plays in one of their tournaments will be banned from any FIFA competition and lean on the member FAs to say the same.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Perhaps they're just afraid of rainbows. I don't imagine you see them in a desert, or maybe they think Zippy is a demon

They’re Bungling the tournament at least.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Stadiums are George-ous though.

I should report this thread to Jeffery.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They do wear those blue vests when entering flame warzones though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ITV in the UK issued a warning to shareholders during its earnings report that their advertising income would be way down. Both from expected reduced ad spend in general and also lower than usual World Cup ratings because it clashes with the usual Christmas ad period. So there wasn’t going to be a big boost to ad income like there usually is during a World Cup year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also it’s soccer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lunsku posted:

If anyone’s hungering for a hilariously and disturbingly lovely and tone deaf film, I recommend checking the FIFA financed United Passions from 2014, about the history of FIFA. It came out just as the Blatter bribe business had picked up steam on tens of millions of budget from FIFA, and actors like Gerard Depardieu, Sam Neill and Tim Roth featuring. It was just mindblowing to me how that kind of hagiography seemed to be in any way a good idea unless the organization had been just huffing their own farts for way too long.

I remember this mostly because John Oliver covered it in one of the early Last Week Tonight episodes on FIFA.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Starsfan posted:

IMDB tells me that was Michael Caine, said in reference to one of the Jaws sequels.

I remember Richard E. Grant saying similar about Spice World.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

goatface posted:

It makes me think of when the Saudi's first bought WWE events and insisted they include a lot of half-dead pensioners in the line-up so the matches were poo poo, and then sat around the ring in huge VIP chairs visibly not paying any attention so the crowd response was poo poo.

Only god knows how much more expensive.

And then held a bunch of wrestlers hostage by not letting their plane take off.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EEKA GEEK posted:

Architecturally they aren't that interesting, so where did the money go?

I was gonna say the bribes to FIFA but if you’ve ever seen what politicians take as bribes you know these people aren’t exactly loving expensive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

joepinetree posted:

I feel like a cspam poster, I feel like a SAL poster, I feel like a TRP poster. Of course, I am not a cspam poster, I am not a SAL poster, I am not a TRP poster. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a poster in a foreign subforum. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

London’s main industry is basically money laundering. And they don’t care about reputation so long as they have something everyone needs (oil). See the US basically turning a blind eye to everything the oil states do and then they still said “lol no” when Biden went to them begging to increase production.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its gonna be really funny when they all get barred from entry.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

Super rich people have no idea idea how to be cool. So when they see something that other people think is cool they just try to buy it. That’s how you end up with pop stars playing for crowds of people not paying attention to them out there.

Aka, Formula 1 race weekends.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is this gonna be like when F1 had a race in Saudi literally the day after there was a missile strike a few miles from the track?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Not to take away from the serious issue but I can never get over how loving decadently fancy athlete locker rooms are these days. Not as disgusting a use of money as when college football locker rooms are like this but still. Just put some goddamn lockers and closets, not a loving spaceship pod.

With messages like these, they should be made to change outside in the desert.

I mean to be fair it is still a locker and bench on a basic level, I don't know even in the most decked out football locker room that I've seen anything hugely over the top. Though it is always fun watching stadium tours and seeing the extremely big difference between home and away facilities. I remember watching a tour of Anfield one time and the guy straight up said they want visiting teams to feel unwelcome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The scran should ideally come pre-washed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Ding ding

They add so much to the tactical and mind games going on, especially at a tournament with such gulfs in skill, and eliminating them via PKs is insanely bad

Now going the NHL route and playing 3v3 sudden death extra time, maybe on a small mini pitch next to the main one, that’s absolutely insane and I’m listening

I'd totally be down for 7-a-side extra time. Also go full hockey with it, if they do this and a group stage game goes to penalties the losing side still gets a point for the draw.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

just americanize it completey. no group stages. All knockouts with a wild card round for the lowest performers in the qualifiers since they're expanding from elite to any nation with a pulse (also super american trend)

Also double elimination so the big name teams can’t be knocked out in a shock upset.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I struggle with the “why would they do this when they don’t care about optics” thing when Saudi literally dismembered a journalist in their US embassy and suffered no consequences. Someone could have just been in a bad mood that day and wanted to kill someone knowing there’d be no repercussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

He takes money off idiots with too much of it, hard to get too mad at the guy

Also treats and pays his employees like poo poo though. Because rich guys gonna be rich guys.