Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Everyone is going to qualify don’t worry

Yeah. From 2026 onward, CONCACAF gets 6 spots in the WC, plus 2 spots in the playoffs for the last 2 spots. I can't even imagine how bad a team has to be to fall out of the top 8 in CONCACAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I still lol at the video of the giant sun blocking drones that they promised they'd have to deal with the heat.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Were those part of the mysterious hovering A/C systems that were supposed to be in place and were technically explained in no way whatsoever?

see for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idC5I7aDnI

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, nevermind ACs. We've had "surface that creates shade" for thousands of years. Its called a roof.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I really enjoyed the way the Argentinean fans adapted the way they pronounce the name of their country so that it was easier to understand for English speakers.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 12, 2022

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Eezee posted:

The argument from Qatari citizens is that those are migrant workers who are there totally voluntarily because they love football and support their favorite teams, since India did not qualify and organized a big parade on social media.

I guess that is not completely impossible? I dont think anyone claimed those were legit tourists instead of migrant workers, whether they are paid to be there or not.

It is completely impossible. Thousands of South Asian migrant workers with color coordinated "Brazil Fans - Qatar" shirts aren't doing that organically.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Bea Nanner posted:

sorry to wade into a terrible tangent that should be over, but i just want to add that if they were actual fans from third-party nations there would be people wearing club jerseys of players they like that might be playing

As someone who went to Brazil world cup games in Brazil, the "fans" in qatar were far more color and jersey coordinated than anything I saw. Like, I don't know how this is even a discussion anymore. Is the idea that Qatar had just the one model of off-brand Brazil shirt, and so hundreds of people just went with that one?

Pook Good Mook posted:

To add to this, someone pointed this out, but there isn't a single woman in the parade. There isn't a single club shirt. There isn't a single older style, "throwback" or retro shirt.

You can teach anyone a chant or a song. You can't fake things like "women."

No kids either.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I particularly like how they were too cheap to print the English flag on both sides

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mickolution posted:

To be honest, I don't think this is the case. FIFA basically take over the country for the duration of the tournament so this looks like they're just going to let a lot of things slide for foreigners to paint a better picture of things (just like the 1936 Olympics). There are safety concerns (and scare stories) before every World Cup that isn't held in a Western European country, but they usually turn out ok. Remember how everyone was going to get robbed in 2010 and 2014? Or how gangs of hooligans were going to run riot in 2018?

Now, what happens to locals or once the TV cameras have left is another story, of course.

Yeah, there are stories about every world cup that is not in a western country, though the notable thing is more that they don't cover poo poo in the west, rather than them covering stuff elsewhere. Lot's of stories about corruption in building stadiums for the world cup in Brazil (which were all true), which just so happened to be taking place at the time when the city of Atlanta was spending a billion dollars of public money to replace 2 stadiums that were not even 20 years old (which was covered as a positive thing for the city of atlanta)..

The issue with Qatar, though, is how blatant the bad stuff is. In Brazil they painted the favelas to make it look nice. In Qatar they threaten journalists on live tv to now film in public.

It's like that old joke of the guy being kicked out of a public swimming pool for peeing in the pool. He protests "but everyone pees in the pool," and the security guard replies "not from the tallest trampoline."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
loving awesome that a day after the whole thing with suspicions of match fixing with Ecuador, FIFA also announced today that they will not share the audio from VAR decisions with the press or the public.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Qatar bribing their way to the final is absolutely the result this tournament deserves

Why stop at the final. Qatar world champions. Would that be any more brazen than everything else they've done so far?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And the other thing is that, as it should be clear by now, once the checks cleared and the wc was qatar's, they really didn't give a gently caress. Like, they could have done the whole olympic village prefabs like beijing did for the winter olympics but they really didn't give a gently caress.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

that, plus while I don't want to go too far into "hurrah for the Raj" territory, in a lot of the world that's the accepted way of doing business and Mozambique has exactly the same say at FIFA as Germany or Argentina does

I think £100 was the going rate for "the local police are now your personal henchmen" in India, but it might have changed since then

I really disagree with this take. It implies that the reason the WC is in Qatar is because some poor African nations voted for it despite objections by the more noble, but outvoted big countries.

The reality is that Platini, Teixeira and Grondona were the major names pushing Qatar. So UEFA, CBF and AFA. Blatter even publicly admitted that Spain/Portugal and Qatar traded votes. This mess is being done with the full support of the then leaders of the major soccer federations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

This isn't quite how the voting works, there were 22 representatives that voted according to this article and they were:

Sepp Blatter (Switzerland), Julio Grondona (Argentina), Issa Hayatou (Cameroon), Chung Mong-joon (South Korea), Jack Warner (Trinidad and Tobago), Angel Maria Villar (Spain), Michel Platini (France), Geoff Thompson (England), Michel D'Hooghe (Belgium), Ricardo Teixeira (Brazil), Mohamed Bin Hammam (Qatar), Senes Erzik (Turkey), Chuck Blazer (United States), Worawi Makudi (Thailand), Nicolas Leoz (Paraguay), Junji Ogura (Japan), Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus), Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast), Franz Beckenbauer (Germany), Rafael Salguero (Guatemala), Hany Abo Rida (Egypt), Vitaly Mutko (Russia).

So it's not like all of UEFA voted for Qatar just because Platini did as there are other UEFA members there on that list.

We don't know how each of them voted. But we do know that the three main people pushing for it were Teixeira, Grondona and Platini. We also know, because Blatter has said so, that Spain and Portugal helped organize vote trading so Qatar would help get votes for Portugal/Spain in 18 and Qatar 22.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/600649-fifa-concedes-qatar-and-spainportugal-traded-votes-in-world-cup-bids

My point wasn't that UEFA voted as a block. But that the main pushers for Qatar were in the biggest federations, not some football backwaters.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When I went to Belgium-Algeria in 2014, after the game the Belgian and Algeria fans met in front of the stadium at this huge bar that was showing other games and the Belgians kept teasing the Algerians because the mostly Muslim Algerians weren't drinking. Too bad Algeria didn't qualify this time around.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
They had promised all sorts of subway systems in Brazil and obviously never delivered. But most venues in Brazil were used to getting big crowd games so the alternative wasn't so bad.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Sad that the last real world cup any of us will ever have experienced is 2018. This winter bullshit on half empty stadiums is not the same. And all CUM aside, the 48 team format is just the stupidest decision in the list of stupid decisions FIFA has taken. Hey, let's make stuff like Spain V Netherlands or Argentina V Croatia impossible, and have a lot more Panama vs Tunisia instead.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Tonight, all the world's eyes turn to our marquee match up of the first round, Mali vs Honduras.

Best part is that Canada, Mexico and the US are all guaranteed Pot 1 slots. Which means 3 of the 16 groups will have one of those three, one team from the equivalent of current pots 3/4 combined, and a team that didn't even qualify for this year on the newly formed pot 3.

Which means that a "USA/Tunisia/Oman" type group isn't just a certainty, but we'll get 3 of them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sylvian Wastes posted:

Its kinda incredible how much Qatar had all these deals and promises that they invested so much money in for PR... and now its stopped supporting them just as the world cup starts. The international media is focused directly on the country and they are letting the event become a rolling PR disaster as something bad will probably happen every day of the WC.

Eh, it's not something that is happening to them as much as it is something that they are doing.

I don't think it was ever about PR. I don't think a single one of the rich fucks cares too much about what the NY Times is printing about them. And if they did they could have just done what they said they would do. Let some team captain wear a rainbow flag, let people drink some beer in the stadium that even without all the infrastructure they promised the media can spin this as a transformative event. But that means that maybe one of their indentured servants might have a bit of fun.

For me, the WC was always about the rich Qataris wanting to party in some expensive VIP suite with a David Beckham and some models. And once that was secured, they could just not give a gently caress anymore.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

I'm Peruvian. We don't give a gently caress. Nobody wants to see more trash teams at the WC. gently caress FIFA.

Best part is that CONMEBOL is going to keep the current qualifying format even though 6 of 10 qualify directly and 7th goes to playoff. Nothing like 18 games where 12 of them don't matter at all.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What will make it even better is that you won't be able to have it like you do now where the last group game is simultaneous. Every group will have one team that will already be done, and 2 playing knowing exactly what they need to advance, as well as potentially what their next round draw will be.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Reek posted:

So what is the reason we can't all just be like, hey guys fifa sucks, we're out. We're gonna make our own fifa, with blackjack, and hookers!

(But seriously why can't we just burn it all to the ground and start over?)

Because anyone in any position of power in the global sport benefits from the existing structure, and all the people hurt by the mess that is this world cup are probably powerless anyways.

Oh, you are paying 200 bucks to stay in a container in the middle of the desert? Why should FIFA care?

And even in the case of someone who might lose some money, like Budweiser not being able to sell beer at the stadium, they are probably making more than that in free press alone from news stations covering that debacle.

I guarantee that the VVIP parties the rich Qataris were actually interested in are still happening, are still filled to the brim with models and celebs, and still have plenty of alcohol in them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It will never happen. Federations make money with national teams and have to rely on FIFA to get clubs to let their players get called up. Clubs hate having their players called up, but rely on FIFA to regulate international transfers. Regional confederations make money on continental tournaments and have the same issue as federations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Personally, I am hoping that Uruguay/Paraguay/Argentina/Chile bid wins. It would be great to have a CONMEBOL qualifier with 6 teams (Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia) for the remaining 2 slots.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I was thinking the other day that the 2026 CUM World Cup basically makes the CONCACAF qualifiers pointless, since they only get 3 spots anyway (4 if you include the 4th place play in game but it's not a guaranteed slot)

CONCACAF is getting 6 slots straight away plus 2 spots for the playoffs for the last spots.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Since people keep getting surprised, here's the number of slots per confederation for 2026

UEFA (Europe) | 16
CAF (Africa) | 9
AFC (Asia) | 8
CONCACAF (North America, Central America, and the Caribbean) | 6
CONMEBOL (South America) | 6
OFC (Oceania) | 1

Plus there will be a mini tournament for the last 2 slots. The mini tournament will have 1 team from Africa, one from Asia, one from Oceania, one from South America and 2 from CONCACAF

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Traditionally you’re hosting the World Cup over 6-7 cities, and timing the expansion or redevelopment of some of the stadia/surrounding areas to coincide with your bidding, so having 6-8 modern 60k+ stadia is a lasting and positive legacy sustainable by your domestic league. Germany did it in ‘06, so you saw the Allianz Arena built (with the requisite corruption scandal) and Dortmund's ground upgraded.

Because each country association operates on a one man one vote system, canny FIFA Presidents like Havelange and Blatter made the expansion of the World Cup to all confederations on a tick-tock cycle a key plank in their electioneering, alongside brown envelope deals on World Cup broadcast rights and the expansion of the competition to more teams.* There is also a lot of political history between FIFA and UEFA as the strongest and richest of the confederations, and then a lot more politics beyond that because of actual history.

You can argue that it is a good and laudable aim to move the World Cup away from being hosted permanently by UEFA nations, but to give legitimacy to the FIFA direction the requirements to act as World Cup host weren’t changed, so all grounds must meet minimum capacities that are hard to maintain for weaker domestic leagues. There’s the added benefit that if you’re spending billions of taxpayer money on these new venues that the opportunities for grifting multiply exponentially for everybody involved. There’s the added, added benefit that hosts qualify automatically and so different countries have an opportunity to enjoy the World Cup. Italy excepted.

Where it gets tricky is justifying the white elephant stadia slowly rotting away in the Amazon/South Africa. Similar to how the IOC don’t want anyone looking too closely at the legacy of abandoned concrete structures in Athens post 04.

Qatar can barely justify a ground the size of Stamford Bridge, the rest are just bollocks posturing. They might spend some money to maintain them past the point their rotting would cause embarrassment but I don’t think they’ll be arsed.

* Italia 90 , USA 94, France 98, South Korea and Japan 02, Germany 06 , South Africa 10, Brazil 14, Russia 18 , Qatar 22, CUM 26. The change in voting patterns and the move to announcing two hosts at a time hosed it slightly and it now appears to be a tick-tock-tock cycle, though there’s a strong shout Uruguay might get 2030 for the centennial.

Once again, this is not at all a UEFA vs FIFA thing. Only 22 federations vote on host, and Spain/Portugal and Qatar traded votes (estimated about 7 of the 12 votes Qatar won were gotten that way). UEFA was every bit complicit with Qatar

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Only 22 voted because two FIFA exec members got caught touting for bribes in the bidding process, and those exec members were put in place by their confederation countries. It should have been 24.

Every bid from outside UEFA for ‘18 was strongly discouraged and pushed to ‘22, so that it could return to Europe after South Africa/Brazil. Qatar bought every vote they got with football clubs and watches.

And none of that changes the basic fact that UEFA was complicit at every step in getting the WC to Qatar.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I feel like a cspam poster, I feel like a SAL poster, I feel like a TRP poster. Of course, I am not a cspam poster, I am not a SAL poster, I am not a TRP poster. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a poster in a foreign subforum. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think at some basic level Qatari rich people, more than the prestige and whatever, just want to party in the vvip room with Beckham and a few models.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
"Government pays lip service to high minded ideals but actually cracks down on people in the streets" isn't exactly a rare or hard to understand phenomenon.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Brazil still #1 in FIFA rankings

Lol and lmao

Is there anyone other than Americans who care about those? Like, no one in Brazil even cites those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There was a minor controversy in Brazil because a bunch of the players went with fat Ronaldo to the salt bae restaurant and ate the steak that came covered in 24k gold and cost like 9k apiece.