Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm not gonna poo poo on you for earning a living but if you do that checks notes thing again for taking flack for how you earned that living so help me I'm gonna press buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

FIFA can just gently caress off and I don't think this will be the last world cup I won't be watching. Saw some of the ITV documentary on Qatar tonight and it's downright heartbreaking the poo poo they've done to workers and people involved in promoting the country on the international stage even. From the part I saw and my old man memory:

Someone from Jordan that worked on behalf of the Supreme Qatari Committee or whatever it's called in the media got disappeared because he wouldn't lie and say that migrant workers striking over having not being paid weren't working on World Cup stadiums, because they were

A german journalist trying to get in contact with this guy realised he was being followed wherever he went

The workers mentioned above began striking after 4 months of no pay whatsoever

Someone that worked for the Discover Qatar tourist company for years promoting the country gave notice to then go and work for a Saudi tourism promotion company and got arrested on his next visit to Doha, imprisoned for 25 days, wherein was tortured, and eventually found hanged after being "released". The family have never been able to get a full account of events from the Qatari state.

It's just loving appalling and it's as if Italia 90 had been awarded to Italy only the Mafia were in charge of everything.

e: I realise from a hypocrisy perspective there were plenty of things I could have drawn a line in the sand for with the World Cup being in Russia or South Africa hell even Brazil. Which would be fair but that doesn't make my current disgust less valid and I wear I could have been this disgusted sooner.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Saying it like the Sash track

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

They have somehow spent more than $200 billion dollars on this nonsense (not even counting the bribes), and $10 billion on stadiums and couldn't manage to build loving roofs and AC.

Dallas Cowboys stadium was less than $2 billion and (at the time) was noted for its garish absurdity and can seat 80,000 people. You could spend half that price on a less absurd, opulent, and big stadium, and no one in the world would blink an eye. You could build 10 of them. The commitment to outdoor stadiums and shifting schedules and everyone being miserable is so loving strange to me.

Given the hotel workers had to search youtube for "how to properly chlorinate a swimming pool without dissolving swimmers" I'm expecting something to go horribly wrong in at least one of the stadiums during the tournament.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

FIFA world cup brought to you by dahir insaat

whoever lifts the trophy they're gonna look like the Baddiel/Skinner bit with the bucket of custard from 3 lions 98

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Just had a quick look at a weather ticker, highs of 30 (86) lows of 21 (69 nice) that first week.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I think it's supposed to just invoke the idea of written Arabic.

However, just in case, out of respect...

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IuhRsxROM

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

Hugo lloris is a bitch

https://theathletic.com/3893534/2022/11/14/hugo-lloris-qatar-world-cup-protest/?amp=1

“If you have to apply pressure, first of all it had to be 10 years ago. Now it’s too late. You have to understand that for players this opportunity happens every four years and you want every chance to succeed. The focus has to be on the field. The rest is for politicians. We are athletes.”

Hugo Lloris is right. It shouldn't be on the players to shoulder the responsibility for this World Cup. It's a professional event for them that they might play in 4 or 5 of max in their career, for a lot of them they're lucky they get this 1. The last time Wales made it was 1958. If you want to get mad at people, start with the ex pros that are going there for pundit money or to put a star face on the tournament in exchange for sacks of cash, the national football associations that decided to take part anyway, the sponsors, kit manufacturers and obviously FIFA for this nakedly blatant product of utter corruption.

I don't give a poo poo that Lisandro Martinez has gone off to play for Brazil at an international tournament. I do give a poo poo that former players like Gary Neville that have waxed lyrical on various political points and the Glazer ownership is not only doing punditry in Qatar, but doing it for Bein Sports. For those not in the know, Bein Sports is owned by Qatar and Neville's business puts him shoulder to shoulder with colleagues such as sacked from Sky in misogynistic disgrace Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

I don't care Maguire's massive head is apparently worth its weight in gold to Gareth "Cowardly Lion" Southgate, I do care that David Beckham is getting wheelbarrows full of cash he doesn't need to to be an ambassador for the tournament.

The players are victims of this tournament not the ones we should be expecting to do something about it now that people in far better positions have failed/not bothered to do so. 10 years ago the national FAs should have turned around and said "gently caress you we're not going if you hold it there" and stood firm. There was little appetite for that though because noted oval office and Qatar shill Platini was head of UEFA at the time and you'd need the big UEFA countries and South Americans to really hold FIFA's feet to the fire.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Hugo is right about that.

On the other hand, there are reports that he will refuse to wear the lgbt captain’s armband in Qatar. Nothing I’ve seen in English yet though - something about a responsibility for foreigners to follow local law. He has worn the armband or a similar armband for Premier League games.

Yeah if the armband thing is true he's guilty of being a bit of a coward because he doesn't want the hassle. The France team are in a funny position though because France have a big hard on for Qatar and the players will get zero loving backing from their FA.

Kane will be fine, by contrast, the English FA are still mad they didn't get our bid through and they've started looking into England "fans" on the rumoured all expenses paid by Qatar trips, in return for reporting on anti Qatar talk/social media posts.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

There's no responsibility on them to tangibly change anything, because everyone is aware they can't. But the idea that a player can't protest something at a sporting event is loving ridiculous.

See that white guy there not protesting? That's Hugo Lloris. No one is denying that. Hugo Lloris may not be protesting but he's still not wrong, who are you or anyone to demand the players take action or are wrong to choose not to when so many that could've prevented all this simply opted not to do so? Are you, as a presumed football fan, protesting?

Unless Lloris is giving interviews saying he loving loves Qatar and likes the cut of their jib when it comes to politics, I don't give a solitary poo poo how he decides to separate or mix his politics with his professional career.

e: fixed for idiocy

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 15, 2022

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Zisky posted:

The white guy in that picture, Peter Norman, was actually protesting by standing with them during the salute, and he also wore a human rights badge along with the other two.

In the aftermath he became a pariah in Australia and never got sent to the Olympics again, even though he should have qualified.

So no, that guy is not Hugo Lloris.

Ah then that's a big mea culpa for me and thank you for correcting me on that.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

"presumed football fan," lol what's with this dig?

Wasn't a dig at all, I was setting you up to speak to you as a football fan, as in "I presume going into this dialogue, you are a football fan".

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

They paid the England band off and some of them are there as ambassadors

Perhaps there'll be some people emerging from holes in the ground as The Great Escape plays

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Can someone gas that stupid MLS thread I keep nearly clicking on trying to read world cup threads

sorry, MLS may be wrong and an abomination but it's not illegal

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

A Danish TV crew already had their kit smashed so it's not like we're just re-telling ghost stories that never happen

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm the single cube of feta

Average Lettuce posted:

It does have an olive...

No wait I'm this username/post combo

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gone already

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

wtf is he doing in his kitchen :stare:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wazzerphuk posted:

I am bald, I'm Qatari
Today I am from Harare
I'm disabled, I am gay
I do not feel ashamed

I was bribed
Now I'm rich
I'm still a ginger bitch
And you wouldn't want it any other way

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

joepinetree posted:

I really disagree with this take. It implies that the reason the WC is in Qatar is because some poor African nations voted for it despite objections by the more noble, but outvoted big countries.

The reality is that Platini, Teixeira and Grondona were the major names pushing Qatar. So UEFA, CBF and AFA. Blatter even publicly admitted that Spain/Portugal and Qatar traded votes. This mess is being done with the full support of the then leaders of the major soccer federations.

This isn't quite how the voting works, there were 22 representatives that voted according to this article and they were:

Sepp Blatter (Switzerland), Julio Grondona (Argentina), Issa Hayatou (Cameroon), Chung Mong-joon (South Korea), Jack Warner (Trinidad and Tobago), Angel Maria Villar (Spain), Michel Platini (France), Geoff Thompson (England), Michel D'Hooghe (Belgium), Ricardo Teixeira (Brazil), Mohamed Bin Hammam (Qatar), Senes Erzik (Turkey), Chuck Blazer (United States), Worawi Makudi (Thailand), Nicolas Leoz (Paraguay), Junji Ogura (Japan), Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus), Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast), Franz Beckenbauer (Germany), Rafael Salguero (Guatemala), Hany Abo Rida (Egypt), Vitaly Mutko (Russia).

So it's not like all of UEFA voted for Qatar just because Platini did as there are other UEFA members there on that list.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

joepinetree posted:

We don't know how each of them voted. But we do know that the three main people pushing for it were Teixeira, Grondona and Platini. We also know, because Blatter has said so, that Spain and Portugal helped organize vote trading so Qatar would help get votes for Portugal/Spain in 18 and Qatar 22.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/600649-fifa-concedes-qatar-and-spainportugal-traded-votes-in-world-cup-bids

My point wasn't that UEFA voted as a block. But that the main pushers for Qatar were in the biggest federations, not some football backwaters.

Oh sure sorry I wasn't saying you were wrong just clearing up that it wasn't voted per federation, rather worse than that. Saw that same article about Spain/Portugal when I tried to see if who voted for whom could be found.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

How do you air condition an entire stadium?

Very carefully

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Benzema is out injured for France, which along with this has me wondering how many more issues players are going to have. Most of the top players play in Europe and there's been no opportunity to acclimate as there would normally be.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/63691286

The water, and the tents are plastic :stare:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Qatar treating projects like they're first year college A-Level assignments and leaving a two month piece of coursework until the night before only it's the biggest sporting tournament in the world

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Arivia posted:

so wouldn't that still have them around for like a week and a half? since teams seem to get about three or four days off between games, and they have three games to play in their round-robin groups.

What is hyperbole

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Arivia posted:

i don't really pay much attention to football normally and i'm trying to figure out if i missed something, sorry

Oh lol sorry no that's FLJ, assume posts are steeped in hyperbole at all times

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

The L slur is now banned in TRP.

Leeds?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

webmeister posted:

Qatartacus :laffo:

I am convinced Squires is either a TRP poster or lurker

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Perhaps they're just afraid of rainbows. I don't imagine you see them in a desert, or maybe they think Zippy is a demon

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

njsykora posted:

They’re Bungling the tournament at least.

They've made a Rod for their own backs

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

njsykora posted:

Stadiums are George-ous though.

I should report this thread to Jeffery.

I'm Freddy won't care

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I swear to god don't you dare start posting about Ukraine in here

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

*taps the sign*

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goatface posted:

Or the Anglo-Celtic massive.

Now I want it to be called this

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Talk about the poo poo world cup/how poo poo Qatar is!!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

BBC coverage has been pretty good so far, they just did a bit at half time pointing out that the carbon neutral claim for this world cup is bullshit made of smoke, mirrors and book cooking lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Ale, lager, wine, seltzer, rum, whiskey, tequilla,gin, vodka, etc.

Ohh Danny Boy, Danny Boy, Dannyyyy Booooy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

i say swears online posted:

this post is racist

(heavily pronouncing the H) what