Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think a lot of people are going to go. It's the world cup, after all.

Saw a news story about people not finding accommodation because it's too sparse and expensive. apparently there are like portable living arrangements and basically field tents being set up for $$$ a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've got a friend going and he's expecting to get thrown in the sober zone or qatari jail (they're the same thing)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the policing situation sounds like a mess

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63477302

quote:

"The focus is to try and prevent unfortunate misunderstandings where fans inadvertently cause offence," he said.

Those "unfortunate misunderstandings" could stem from fans drinking alcohol, taking shirts off, waving flags, gathering in large numbers and other stereotypes that come with football fan culture.

quote:

Fans will only be permitted to drink in the designated fan areas, one of which is a fan park which can hold up to 40,000 people and will show matches on big screens.

The other is a paid ticket event with DJ's which may not attract fans in numbers as the cheapest tickets are said to start from £75.

Are there really only 2 places fans are allowed to drink outside the stadiums?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crazy Ted posted:

128-team tournament
No group stage
All knockout rounds

No seeding, completely random draw.

joepinetree posted:

Yeah. From 2026 onward, CONCACAF gets 6 spots in the WC, plus 2 spots in the playoffs for the last 2 spots. I can't even imagine how bad a team has to be to fall out of the top 8 in CONCACAF.

It's one of the reasons I'm happy Canada qualified for this one. It wasn't the hex, but at least the spots were limited and they earned one. By destroying everyone too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Whoops

Hundreds of Heathrow staff to strike in run-up to Fifa World Cup

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Arivia posted:

oh fuckin lol

I don't know FIFA stuff much (seeing TRP as a top-level forum temporarily is neat though) but I can believe it's just dumb poo poo

Weirdly enough on the app it's still showing as part of sas for me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crazy Ted posted:

I think I posted at the time that was one desert NFL Stadium (Phoenix) that had both a roof and a retractable grass surface that could be wheeled outside to sun & water and then rolled back inside for games they could have just copied multiple times over.

Works better in north America where the stadiums often have giant empty parking lots next to them though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah, they owned.

Also reminder Qatar is paying for blocks of fans from each nation that will wing approved songs and have contracts against speaking out which makes me increasingly convinced they'll be the only ones turning up.

There's definitely a lot of fans that have paid their way there

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This is weird stuff

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

From the HSE: The number of injuries in Construction in 2021/22 was 30, a decrease of 10 from the previous year total (40). The five-year average for fatal injuries in this sector is 36.

roughly 2.1-2.2 million people working in construction in 2020.

i guess that's workplace accidents, not deaths of anyone employed

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 16, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mickolution posted:

Nothing was smashed in that incident, as far as I know. They were just interrupted and the speed with which the apology came makes me think those guys weren't following the guidelines. This sounds like I'm defending Qatar and I'm not, at all. I just don't think they'll be arresting people for having a few too many or bringing rainbow flags to a game. Once the tournament is over, then they'll deal with locals who act/speak out once most people have stopped giving a poo poo.

I think that's probably the guidance from on high. Grit your teeth and let them do as they want then deal with whoever's left at the end. I suspect a lot of individuals aren't going to get the message though and a lot of people are going to end up in the sober zone

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I guess twitter dying works out for them since people's main method of blasting insanity onto the internet will die

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

qatari customs denying player visas would be amazing

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

vyelkin posted:

This photo of a fan accommodation site from the Guardian looks more like a prison camp where you break rocks all day

Well you have to repurpose the venues after the event

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, this is probably going to sound like the stupidest question in the world: how do these people then deposit this money in the bank? Do they all have Swiss bank accounts (I guess since their HQ is in literal Switzerland). I ask because if I get a transfer from abroad (I still have some savings back home) my own bank immediately sends me an email asking me where I got this money and all but asking me if I am a money launderer. I can't imagine asking for a bribe and not getting caught thanks to the nature of banking.

when you're rich enough you have ways to easily launder that amount of money

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Group stage match tickets supposedly still available for like 50-70 pounds which isn't a great sign for attendance

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

joepinetree posted:

Sad that the last real world cup any of us will ever have experienced is 2018. This winter bullshit on half empty stadiums is not the same. And all CUM aside, the 48 team format is just the stupidest decision in the list of stupid decisions FIFA has taken. Hey, let's make stuff like Spain V Netherlands or Argentina V Croatia impossible, and have a lot more Panama vs Tunisia instead.

What, you're not excited for group M: Uzbekistan/El Salvador/Tahiti?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I'm excited for a Vanuatu/Surinam/Equitorial Guinea/Kyrgyzstan group

You'll never get elected Fifa president if you don't even know how the CUM cup will work

vyelkin posted:

too exciting, better remove one of those countries

:hmmyes:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So that's why the stands were half empty yesterday

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

didn't they send that thing out specifically saying that rainbow stuff was okay?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lmao what

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tai posted:

What are the chances of FIFA getting some blowback for this post world cup?

i would guess they'll get sued by budweiser, but the qatari government has already put together a slush fund to pay it off. other than that, stone nothing because they're fifa. who's going to hold them to account?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

Can all the Ukraine flag Twitter shut the gently caress up how about they stop supporting Nazis before they open their loving mouths and lecture other people

Wut

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Chiefly to talk about how poo poo Qatar are

They were really bad and I think they're going to get run over by senegal and the dutch

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

joepinetree posted:

I feel like a cspam poster, I feel like a SAL poster, I feel like a TRP poster. Of course, I am not a cspam poster, I am not a SAL poster, I am not a TRP poster. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a poster in a foreign subforum. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

wrong thread

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jose posted:

if qatar is so hot in summer they had to move the world cup to winter then I can't wait to see what they claim is possible to ensure the olympics actually happen in summer after 14 more years of climate change

love the idea of having people run the marathon or ride a bike 140+ miles on the baking pavement

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Assassination coordinates!!! Ban this filth

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Great football, terrible hosts

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say, this World Cup was incredible, just a complete rollercoaster from start to finish, and the final was incredible, I have many criticisms against qatar but they really pulled off an incredible achievement for the Arab world by pulling off this event as well as they did.

Could specify how they pulled the event off particularly well

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

If you thought qatar was bad for human rights wait till you find out what egypt and morocco are like!

No but really, can you expand on them pulling it off "as well as they did". Only one worker death? Only a few games with ticket problems and videos of spectators not able to get in?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The BBC closing montage was incredibly bad

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

What gets me the most about this pic, is how much "fun" Elon and Jared are having.

Neither of them gives half a poo poo about football, and maybe only a little more about the status that attending a WC final in a corporate box gives them.

They are hot, cranky, bored, and not even watching the event they paid a LOT of money to be able to attend live.

What a shining advertisement for teh way Qatar handled things!

I was pretty drat bored for the first 75 minutes of that match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the sex ghost posted:

Ah, a fellow fan of every football team in the world