Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I keep getting an error message about "some settings failed to load" and can't move anything. I have to assume the obvious move isn't correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There's something broken with the puzzle because if you "play against computer" its black to move. However, even in that position the eval is +2. The eval with white to move is like checkmate in 32 after the obvious move, so I think chess.com is broken right now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

There's something broken with the puzzle because if you "play against computer" its black to move. However, even in that position the eval is +2. The eval with white to move is like checkmate in 32 after the obvious move, so I think chess.com is broken right now.

No this is just how chess.com's puzzles work. They always start with an opponent move, so the position shown isn't actually the puzzle, the puzzle is the position resulting from that first move (which is preset by the puzzle-maker). I'm not sure why it's like this, my assumption is that it's to allow en passant to work correctly if that's part of the puzzle.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I follow the link on my phone, there's a green button with a hand holding the piece that makes white's move and starts the puzzle.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Goddanm that was definitely a puzzle. I had 0 clue what was going on first move so I had to analyze it, then when the idea clicked the rest came pretty readily, very cool.

For once an idea I can actually try and apply to games.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think that is the most bullied I've ever seen a queen be...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Huxley posted:

Good puzzle (chesscom 2100ish):

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/43571

I didn't get it right, but it's very instructive once you figure out what it's trying to teach you.

I got it eventually but there's no way I would ever see that in a game. Fun though.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

I got it eventually but there's no way I would ever see that in a game. Fun though.

I wouldn't be able to ever trap a queen like that. However, at my elo it is definitely possible to lure some rube into taking my 'blunder' without them spotting the xray on the king followup

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I'm reading Lawson's book on Morphy (recent edition) and man is this old school notation tough. I tried to play it out to make a guess at what "dis ch" meant but gave up after a while. You apparently had to count Black's rank from their perspective :psyduck: (see move 1)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I actually find the old notation way easier to follow. I also already mentally think of spaces like e5 as "black's e4," though, so I might just Intuit these things kinda weirdly.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I'm reading Lawson's book on Morphy (recent edition) and man is this old school notation tough. I tried to play it out to make a guess at what "dis ch" meant but gave up after a while. You apparently had to count Black's rank from their perspective :psyduck: (see move 1)

Descriptive notation is wild.

At least this book calls knights N. You haven't truly experienced descriptive notation until you read a really old book with a move like "Kt. - K. Kt.'s 5th"

"Dis ch" would be discovered check.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think this lichess study has every game from the book recorded:
https://lichess.org/study/fSBpZOSu/P5DX0lLk

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Carbolic posted:

"Dis ch" would be discovered check.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Huxley posted:

Good puzzle (chesscom 2100ish):

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/43571

I didn't get it right, but it's very instructive once you figure out what it's trying to teach you.

This is a great and really instructive puzzle. I'm very pleased with myself that I saw what the theme was and was able to solve it. Amazing with what seems like a whole board to roam that Black's King and Queen can't avoid getting stuck onto the same diagonal or rank or file for White to win the Queen via skewer or pin.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Just swindled the poo poo out of a game, one of the best feelings in chess. Separately, I was intentional about NOT stalemating in another game I won.

Almost makes up for all the games I lost and puzzles I sucked at.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Funny ending to a game I just had.

I played Qb7 and the opponent resigned. Both players displaying tunnel vision here.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Redmark posted:

Funny ending to a game I just had.

I played Qb7 and the opponent resigned. Both players displaying tunnel vision here.

Ne2 would have been M1 right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Mikojan posted:

Ne2 would have been M1 right?

Qxe2 though. Not sure I understand the op, I'm probably missing something.

E: I wouldn't have played Qb7 as my next move though, probably Re8 to remove the fork opportunity and freeze (and trade off) the queens so there's no more mating threat. But I'm also terrible at chess so

E2: ah I thought op meant the tunnel vision was before white goes on to play Qb7. That loses for white

E3: ^ and that's probably what you were talking about. Told you I'm terrible.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 12, 2024

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I thought OP was referring to a missed Ne2# opportunity on the previous move, I didn't notice the queen could just take.

But as you say, after Qb7 now ... Ne2+, Kh2 Qh4# is the line both players missed.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Redmark posted:

the opponent resigned.

I would never make this mistake because I don't pay attention to my opponent's threats. :smug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not good enough to play at a level where I can presume that a losing position is a guaranteed win for my opponent: so I never resign. You have to checkmate me, bitch, and I know there's a pretty good chance you blunder pieces before you figure out how. And another pretty good chance you accidentally stalemate me.

Get on my level. like 1000 ELO

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I forced a draw from a losing position over the board against a guy in the office and it was so satisfying.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Speaking of, when I am supreme ruler of FIDE I'm changing this rule. The stalemated player loses. :mad:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

so when a game is just traded down to K vs. K, both players lose? Also stalemate by repetition, player who makes last move loses? Or do you just mean stalemates when the player has no legal moves remaining.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Speaking of, when I am supreme ruler of FIDE I'm changing this rule. The stalemated player wins.

fixed your post

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tricking a stalemate from a lost position feels better than winning, it’s the best rule

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Leperflesh posted:

so when a game is just traded down to K vs. K, both players lose? Also stalemate by repetition, player who makes last move loses? Or do you just mean stalemates when the player has no legal moves remaining.

Stalemate specifically means a position where one player has no legal moves, the others you mention are "draw by insufficient material" and "draw by repetition"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Insufficient material draws are actually incredibly complex if you take a literal interpretation of FIDE rules, to the point that stockfish cannot calculate them.

http://tom7.org/chess/longest.pdf

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 13, 2024

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I think I'm gonna be sick

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stalemating is a great rule because of how many people hate it. Everybody always thinks "I trapped the enemy king, why is that not a win for me", because they always think of it from the side of the winning player rather than the losing player. If stalemate didn't exist, then what's the point of even playing out an endgame where you don't have sufficient material to win? Most people resign there anyway, but the existence of stalemate at least gives you something to play for rather than a resignation being the only thing worth doing. It also means that you can't win a game just by taking all the opponents pieces. The objective of the game is to checkmate the king, not to win material. If you can't checkmate the king, you didn't win.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

How I usually explain it to folk who think stalemate should be a win:

If you're not good enough to checkmate your opponent you don't deserve the win

or

If you let your opponent outplay you in the endgame such that it's a stalemate, you clearly weren't better in that game and don't deserve the win

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I know I'm reading this wrong, but oh boy does it look like black has two light square bishops to white's two dark square bishops. Which I guess is possible via promotion but what a weird rear end situation to invent.

e: The more I look at it the more convinced I am that I'm not wrong, it is some bizarro world promotion situation.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Positions constructed to confuse chess engines are usually very weird like that. Generally the point is less "this is a position that could occur in a real game" and more "there's nothing in the rules that says this position is impossible so the software has to account for it".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Olothreutes posted:

I know I'm reading this wrong, but oh boy does it look like black has two light square bishops to white's two dark square bishops. Which I guess is possible via promotion but what a weird rear end situation to invent.

e: The more I look at it the more convinced I am that I'm not wrong, it is some bizarro world promotion situation.

The goal of the paper is to calculate the longest possible game of chess, so it assumes collusion between both players, and tries to do it strictly within the most literal interpretation of FIDE rules.

Speaking of ambiguous FIDE rules, there is some debate about the veracity of this claim, but this puzzle purports to take advantage of a poorly worded FIDE rule:

The rule was clarified in 1974 to make this puzzle no longer possible.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

The goal of the paper is to calculate the longest possible game of chess, so it assumes collusion between both players, and tries to do it strictly within the most literal interpretation of FIDE rules.

Speaking of ambiguous FIDE rules, there is some debate about the veracity of this claim, but this puzzle purports to take advantage of a poorly worded FIDE rule:

is it something completely wild like underpromoting to a rook and then “castling” vertically?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

oh hey is this the O-O-O-O-O-O puzzle? I've seen that one

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Olothreutes posted:

You're not wrong that's exactly what's happening here

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

https://lichess.org/training/YxoqM

Today's lichess puzzle of the day isn't anything too special, but the resulting endgame position is tricky. It's a much bigger challenge trying to convert it than it is to solve the puzzle, to me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

fisting by many posted:

https://lichess.org/training/YxoqM

Today's lichess puzzle of the day isn't anything too special, but the resulting endgame position is tricky. It's a much bigger challenge trying to convert it than it is to solve the puzzle, to me at least.

Yeah, QvR is annoying to start with, but I really don't know how to think about approaching QvR and also a passed pawn.