Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Sway Grunt posted:

I don't totally get the blunder here - I get the bishop's trapped, but why is it getting trapped contingent on Ian first playing c5? Couldn't Magnus just play c6 anyway and trap it?

Putting his own pawn on c5 prevents the knight from going there to defend the bishop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
It's done.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

How have I never heard of Rey Enigma? Just, like, some random IM-quality player wondering around in a morph suit anonymously playing chess. Extremely cool.

e: apparently some people think it might be Vallejo Pons

:iiam:

Or should I say... an enigma.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Redmark posted:

This might be a strange question, but is there any chess terminology that has stuck out to people as idiosyncratic? I don't mean things like "pawn structure" which is fairly direct jargon, but more abstract terms.
For example, I hadn't heard "X is better" used before for other games (presumably because chess is more drawish so "X is winning" is a distinct state). Or "tension" to describe situations where pieces may trade off with each other but haven't (yet). Or "accuracy", "(in)accurate" moves.
Is there any resource of chess etymology? :v:

I played OTB chess a lot in the 1990s and then came back to the game a few years ago. One thing that stuck out when I came back was all the talk about "accurate" vs. "inaccurate" moves. Maybe a "?!" was referred to as an "inaccuracy" 25 years ago but I can't remember anyone talking about accurate moves. I am assuming the term arose because we now have far stronger computers to compare our "accuracy" to.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

"endgame" came up today, outside a chess context (but maybe lots of other games have endgames too)

It was used in the title of the highest- or second-highest grossing movie of all time...

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Agadmator is kind of the gold standard. He covers major events day by day, then goes back and covers the careers of past masters when there's nothing big going on in "Sagas". (Capablanca Saga, Fischer Saga, Tal Saga, etc.) It's pretty chill coverage with pauses at significant moments of the game where you can try and figure out the next move, and continuing the game past the point where one player resigns to show why he or she resigned. His videos got me back into chess after decades away from the game.

Agadmator is great but I don't think he is the best teaching resource for players trying to break out of beginner level. He'll have the occasional comment like "The rook looks like it's hanging, but not really, if Bxe4 then Ne7 forks the king and queen", "White wants to get his knight to this excellent central outpost" or "here we see all of Black's pieces are on the queenside, so White goes for a kingside attack" etc. but the games aren't really presented in a way that is trying to walk you through the logic of every move. He'll say things like "of course if Bxb7 then Rxa7 and Black just has no way out of this position" which may be obvious to a stronger player but if you are 1000-level, you'll want it spelled out more clearly why.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Today's chessle was quite a stumper but I managed to figure it out eventually.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Got it as soon as I realized it was April 1st.

It took me three different tries where absolutely no moves were hitting other than e4 e5 before the penny dropped.

Also, one thing I didn’t realize until recently is that it will give you a gold box for a move even if it is played by the other side. e5 is a common culprit.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

There was a Columbo episode with a chess champion killer but I've only seen clips on Youtube.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Maugrim posted:

Also in algebraic notation the letters and numbers are absolute and don't correspond to different squares depending if you're playing black or white, like "N-K4" did. Look at the little numbers and letters on the edge of the board.

Nothing like reading an old book where the KKt goes to KKt5.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

He quietly put up a +3 across the back half of the tournament.

Looking over the standings, it strikes me that the bottom three (Duda, Rapport and Firouzja in some order) are the three first timers.

Both Ding and Radjabov scored +3 in the back half. Ding likes to finish strong, he rattled off three wins to salvage his 2020-21 Candidates from being a total rout.

Apart from Nepo pulling so decisively away from the field, this felt like a much more enjoyable tournament to casually spectate than the last one, where Alexeenko had zero business being there and Wang just brutally collapsed.

Feels like Nakamura could have finished +4 instead of +1 but he got some breaks too.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

stratdax posted:

okay thanks all. After every game the summary is "3 mistakes, an embarrassing amount of blunders, 6 missed wins" and honestly it's the last bit that tilts me the most. I can put myself into these commanding positions but I don't know how to capitalize and can tell immediately when the game changes to the opponent's favour.

Chess at every level is a game of missed opportunities so don't let the computer evaluation throw you too much.

You said your instinct was to take the rook. That would win you the exchange (i.e. a rook for your knight) which isn't a bad thing, but White's king is extremely exposed here. After it's forced to move to h1 there are no pawns protecting it and it's being swarmed by your pieces to the point where it has no legal moves. That should be a hint to start looking for ways to checkmate the white King - if you can figure that out, it'll be far better than just picking up a little bit of material.

Even without calculating out the full line, I was immediately attracted to Ne4 because (1) it threatens immediate checkmate with Nxf2, (2) it also threatens the white Queen, (3) it opens a diagonal up for you to bring your queen to g5 and threaten to bring it down to checkmate the white King too. If you look a little more you'll notice that White can't protect the f2 square while also keeping the Queen out of danger, so even if you don't see the checkmate, you are at least going to win the white Queen.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Huxley posted:

I've played zero real games on Lichess, though I have gotten thrashed by Stockfish 1 a few times. Should I be focusing more on real games than all this computer/academic stuff?

Rather than play Stockfish, just play real people and have fun. Don't be afraid of losing. After a few games you'll get a rating that will allow Lichess to pair you up against players of similar skill. I don't know about the Dr Wolf program so I can't comment on it.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Playing in an OTB tournament and was running very low on time in this position as White. While I take consolation in finding the only drawing sequence, I am extremely bummed not to have spotted the only (super fun) winning sequence.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

So I've been tracking my classical games in SCID for the last few years.

Across 47 tournament games (22 white, 25 black) my performance rating as black is 74 points higher than as white. As black I've gone +12, =4, -9 and as white I've gone +7, =5, -10, and the average rating of my opponents when I'm white is actually a few points lower than my opponents as black during this time frame. I've been punching above my rating as black and below it as white.

So... what can I do with this knowledge? About the only thing I can think of is to look at switching my opening repertoire as white. I've played d4 since I was a kid, maybe it's time to experiment? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Sometimes even at the mediocre Elos you still get beautiful endings (black to move)

Best I can do is mate in 5:
1 ... Rxb2+ 2. Ka1 Rxc2+
either: 3. Kb1 Rb2+ 4. Ka1 Rb8+ 5. Bc3 Bxc3#
or: 3. Bc3 Bxc3+ 4. Kb1 Rb2+ 5. Ka1 Rb8#

Carbolic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 23, 2023

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

I can't figure out how to get rid of the "?" annotation on Black's last move.

White to mate in 2.

Clue 1: Create a double threat.
Clue 2: It involves sacrificing, or offering to sacrifice, a piece.
Clue 3: White does not capture anything.
Answer: Nah, not yet.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I'm reading Lawson's book on Morphy (recent edition) and man is this old school notation tough. I tried to play it out to make a guess at what "dis ch" meant but gave up after a while. You apparently had to count Black's rank from their perspective :psyduck: (see move 1)

Descriptive notation is wild.

At least this book calls knights N. You haven't truly experienced descriptive notation until you read a really old book with a move like "Kt. - K. Kt.'s 5th"

"Dis ch" would be discovered check.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

khazar sansculotte posted:

Unless I'm just misunderstanding, it's white to move and force black to mate in 68. The engine eval is going to tell you the best moves, but the puzzle wants you to find the worst. It's a joke in some sense, but self-mating is a legit puzzle genre.

I don't think it can be a selfmate problem. I think it's just old-timey language for mate in 68. But the tablebase says it's a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This is a famous game and the solution is a brilliant, unintuitive sacrifice. It's hardly a basic "learning tactics" puzzle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levitsky_versus_Marshall

Leperflesh posted:

I thought the winning move is ...Ne2. After Kh1 ... Rxf2, and checkmate is certain. Right? Is Ne2 a tactic? Am I missing an escape for white?

Problem is after ...Rxf2, Qd8+ forces the King to f7, and then Rxf2 comes with check. Then it's Black getting mated.