Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Personally I’m excited to watch the world championship with expert analysis of Grandmaster Benjamin Finegold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
eh nm

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 22, 2022

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Speaking of brilliant moves, I was pretty happy that I found the tactic in this position despite being garbage at chess. Feels like a move that's obvious when you see the position as a puzzle but it would have been easy to miss this in the game.

(White to move and win.)

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Maugrim posted:

Is it Nxe5, leading to e.g. Rxf1 Qxf1 and black has to give up the rook to prevent mate? If so that's a really nice move, took me a while to spot.

Yeah, that's the move, black can almost defend with Rgf6 but then you have a fork with Nd7+ so you end up winning at least the exchange + one pawn in every case I think

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I just accidentally trapped a queen :lol:

I only realized when I started wondering why my opponent was taking so long with the retreating move. Chess is so loving hard.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

rollick posted:

Second place prize last time was $500,000. I don't think Nakamura makes that in a year on Twitch, unless he has great sponsorship. Seems like it would be worth the hit.

The twitch leak a while back lists his income as $773k for the period covered by the leak which was about two years and included a time period before his channel was huge. That's also pure twitch income so donations, sponsorships and youtube income is not included. I think it's safe to say that Hikaru makes way more than 500k per year from streaming,

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
It would be cool if a Ding victory would cause a Chinese chess boom like with Anand and India. Personally I would bet on Nepo though.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Got another one from my game today. Elementary themes always feel good. Maybe slightly harder than the last one or maybe slightly easier depending on your tastes.

White to move and win

Rh3, and then it seems to me that black has to give up their queen or you can play Rh8+ Bxh8 Qg8#? Pretty hard in the sense that I think I looked at about a dozen different moves before finding this one.

edit: eh, I'm slow

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 1, 2022

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

My mind suddenly went to the NFTs of these cheated games.

Speaking of NFTs, someone investigated that stuff few weeks ago:

A grand total of 6 people have bought one of the chess.com NFTs since their inception 5 months ago

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

rollick posted:

Nobody else above the age of 40 in the top 20.

I was going to ask "what about Svidler" but looks like he has been losing a lot of rating lately. Getting old must be tough for the top chess guys.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Hans should have also sued Eric Hansen and added a lengthy section to the lawsuit where he explains how he definitely does not have a stockfish buttplug

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I'm not sure if I've seen this exact same tactic in an Eric Rosen video but it seems like a thing that he would do. Oh no my queen.

A Passing Feeling posted:

Has anyone been watching the Chess.com Global Championship? Surprisingly good, real grandmaster-level chess mixed with weird moments like Duda playing the Bongcloud against Hikaru in a rated event??

The actual action goes above my head sometimes but Robert Hess is cool and explains things pretty well so I can sit there pretending to understand what's happening.

I haven't been watch this event much but I do agree that Hess is a fantastic commentator. In general I find super-GM rapid much more enjoyable to watch than super-GM blitz.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Depends on how you define ”worth it” I guess, technically you can get roughly equal functionality for free on Lichess. I pay for Platinum on chess dot com because I like the game reviews and puzzles there more. (also I pay the old price which is less than what it costs now.)

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
So yeah the World Championship will start in about 30 minutes or so. For casting, Chess.com stream will have Daniel Naroditsky, Robert Hess, David Howell, Anish Giri, Fabiano Caruana, and Tania Sachdev and apparently there's also going to be an official FIDE stream with Anand, Dubov, Krush.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Game 12 and Ding opens with Colle. The openings in this match have been quite something.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
GG Ding, I was rooting for Nepo until the end but looks like dude can't just handle these games mentally. Good match tho.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Is this the 21st century version of the opera game

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I hope they spend several episodes debunking the stockfish butt plug, they can bring in an expert to explain to the viewers what a "twitch chat" is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Feels like the easiest way to solve these is to find the flashiest move possible(Rg6 here) and then work backwards from there to figure out why it works. If the solution was boring, then nobody would post the puzzle.