Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

The teams will be secret until the end of the tournament, but the absence of Jan on chess24 might also just be from them breaking out the big guns for the finals. He's an accessible commentator, but that's maybe less important when they've split the commentary teams into a beginners cast (Howell and Houska) and a serious cast (Polgar and Giri).

Saw some speculation going that Carlsen using the Marshall Defense against Nepo is a hint that Marshall expert Jan is in his prep team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
It's bad news for my future tournament career that I can only focus on someone else's game for 30 minutes, with expert commentary to help, before needing a break.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Sf eval on this position was 0.0, which I'm not sure I understand - black seems at least a little better. Guess I'm not taking up the Catalan any time soon.

rollick fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 27, 2021

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
This is my first time following a WC live, and honestly I'm surprised at how thrilling a draw can be. It means that both players performed extremely well over an entire game in response to a very tough opponent -- maybe the highest quality of outcome possible.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
ha yeah, we'll see. If it's a Ruy Lopez every time Nepo has white, I can see things getting stale too.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

I recommend anonymous unrated play. No rating change, no history of losses, just throwaway games. Your opponents will be completely random, which can be fun by itself. One game, someone sweeps the floor with you, another game, they disconnect after failing scholar's mate, third game, pretty equal, etc.

This was really helpful, thanks. I forgot that losing could be fun.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1548240

white to move

are given essentially the same difficulty rating. got them back-to-back. one took 5 minutes of calculating various lines to get the solution, the other took me 20 seconds, the majority of which was spent thinking "it can't possibly be that simple". i think their random puzzle creator/evaluator is on the fritz

I think the rating of the second one might be inflated from people falling for the red herring of the rook capture and not seeing the obvious winning move

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
They should be a version of those garden chess sets where each piece weighs over 20kg.

edit: haha looked up the heaviest one I could find and whoa

quote:

MegaChess 72 Inch Teak Giant Chess Set specifications

King 1 black and 1 white piece 72" tall with 19" base 135 lbs
Queen 1 black and 1 white piece 63" tall with 18"base 100 lbs
Bishop 2 black and 2 white pieces 51 tall with 16 base - 65 lbs
Knight 2 black and 2 white pieces 42 tall with 16 base 100 lbs
Rook 2 black and 2 white pieces 35" tall with 17" base 70 lbs
Pawn 8 black and 8 white pieces 30 tall with 14" base" 45 lbs

rollick fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 9, 2022

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
NY Times profile of Daniel Naroditsky. He's starting a weekly chess column for them.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Second place prize last time was $500,000. I don't think Nakamura makes that in a year on Twitch, unless he has great sponsorship. Seems like it would be worth the hit.

I know Magnus spent a lot of money on his team last time, but could be someone like Rex Sinquefield would bankroll Naka's seconds for him?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The leak covered August 2019 to October 2021, which I thought was peak chess boom? Here are his viewer stats for the past five years:

According to Twitchtracker he had 12k subs by June 2020 compared with 3.2k subs right now. I don't know what his baseline would be outside of the Candidates, but this graph doesn't look too promising:

Also it was actually $800k for second in 2021, not $500k, sorry. So I still think it would make sense to go for it from a financial perspective. But maybe he is making >$1million p.a. with those stats, idk.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
This kind of puzzle on lichess kills me, because even after I go through the engine line, I still don't really get why I got it wrong.

The first set of moves is straightforward enough: 1. ... Qxe6+ 2. dxe6 Rxf1 3. exd7 and you're up a bishop.

But what's the last move? Obviously you want to prevent the d pawn from queening, but you can do that with either Rf8 or Bf6. And one of them is -3.2, and the other is +0.6, and it's not really clear to me why - at least not as clear as I'd want a puzzle at the 1400 level to be.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
It starts with Kg2 to chase the black rook off the f file, then goes Rh6. After Be7, it goes Rxd6, or with Bd8 it goes Re6, with the threat of Rd8

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
There's video from that round on YouTube. No PGN or live board, but you can see in these shots the game did progress further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KatbqNKrwGk

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
This was the statement from Rensch and chess.com last week:

quote:

Dear Chess Community,

The last few days have been tumultuous for many in the chess community. At this time, we have reached out to Hans Niemann to explain our decision to privately remove him from Chess.com and our events. We have shared detailed evidence with him concerning our decision, including information that contradicts his statements regarding the amount and seriousness of his cheating on Chess.com. We have invited Hans to provide an explanation and response with the hope of finding a resolution where Hans can again participate on Chess.com. We want nothing more than to see the best chess players in the world succeed in the greatest events. We will alway act to protect the integrity of the game that we all love.

Danny Rensch
Chief Chess Officer
Chess.com

so one unanswered question is what exactly is in that dossier of "detailed evidence" they sent him and if anyone is tempted to leak it.

rollick fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 20, 2022

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Aronian said in interview yesterday that his suspicion of Hans made him more doubtful, and play worse. That also seems to be what happened with Carlsen and Firouzja in the Sinquefield Cup.

So just having a reputation as a cheater is enough to give you a psychological edge at top levels.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

neaden posted:

I'm really sceptical of this one since it's claiming that Hans is cheating every move, or at least a large proportion. Whenever someone talks about how they would actually cheat it would only be for one or two important moves in a game, not something they would do the whole time.

Maxim Dlugy notably said a version of this after Borislav Ivanov was caught cheating:

quote:

If I had this gadget I would be killing people left and right, and nobody would know. This is the real danger, because if a 2600 player has this thing, he knows exactly how to behave, he knows exactly when to think, and he doesn’t to use it more than four times during a game. That’s plenty to destroy anyone. At the critical junction you switch it on and find out which way do I go: oh, this little nuance I didn’t see, okay, fine, boom, goodbye! That’s it.

But when he got banned from chess.com it was after a string of clumsy Stockfish blitz games.

Basically the chess version of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECsGvS9gc4

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The most divorced GM of all time

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

busalover posted:

Hikaru is currently reading a new Vice article on stream, apparently new stuff? Who knows.

I don't know how many viewers chess got back in the Kasparov-Karpov days, but funny that it's been eclipsed by Hikaru Nakamura slowly reading magazine articles out loud for money

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Anand back in the top ten by live rating, at the age of 52. Nobody else above the age of 40 in the top 20.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Play Magnus is a group that owns other brands like Chess24 and Chessable, which are probably more valuable than the app.

e: from Wikipedia, never knew this:

quote:

Users earn points by playing chess, or can purchase points for money. Points can be spent on querying the engine for move suggestions, and on the undo function (the cost of this is higher at the higher levels). With a large points balance, it used to be possible to win a chance of playing Magnus in person[10] but this is no longer mentioned by the app.

I wonder if anyone ever cashed that in

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Hans snapping at his lawyers not to make him look mad in the lawsuit

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
can't believe someone with "Elo" and "NM" in his name wouldn't want to get into chess.

the gamer pride part of it reminds me of David Sirlin's Chess 2: The Sequel to Chess

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Are computer chess boards still a thing?

My father wants to start playing chess again in his retirement, and asked me to look into finding one for him (he doesn't want to play on a screen, so online is out).

The only options seem to be €500-€1000 for DGTs, which look way overkill, or random no-name brands on Amazon for €50-€100. Any recommendations? Older brands on Ebay?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

how do opponent moves work on those things?

Yeah the computer tells you its moves either on a little LCD screen or by lighting up the origin and target squares. Then you make the move for it. The fanciest ones move automatically now, I think. When it's your turn it detects the move by weight or by a hard press.

I found this buying guide which looks pretty useful. Maybe a midrange Millennium would be the way to go.

https://www.chesshouse.com/pages/comparison-guide-for-electronic-chess-computers

edit: actually the DGT Centaur looks like the ideal option, except for the price. I might club together with some other family members as a gift. Or start with a Millennium to gauge the actual interest, then upgrade later.

rollick fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 10, 2022

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

kumba posted:

there exist boards whose pieces move automatically via magnets below the board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCwi6L8pHI

This is cool tech but the ad is so frustrating -- I just want to see the drat pieces move, and there's too much "Chess: a game with a thousand year history..." poo poo to wade through

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Rooting for Ding I guess, just because it makes a better story.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Wondering if he'll somehow manage another visa + jetlag fuckup at the last minute

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Looking back over a game, it's amazing that the Borg defense (1. e4 g5) is somehow +2.4 on move 1. Is there a worse move on the board?

rollick fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 5, 2023

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I think it's that the rapid pool is weaker overall, because most 2000+ players don't really play rapid online. But it's still anchored to the same midpoint (1200 on chess.com, 1500 on lichess.org). So you rank relatively higher, because Elo isn't an objective measure of strength, it's relative to the other people in the pool?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9tL1XijM0

Rooting for Ding this week, but if I had to bet I think my prediction is (1) a bunch of safe draws, (2) Nepo ekes out one close win as white, then (3) a bunch more draws til Nepo wins overall.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
av checks out

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Those ones happen sometimes because there's another move available that also looks kind of good, like winning a rook for a knight, and enough people go for it to make the rating higher than it should be.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Ding is just setting up a classic underdog comeback -- a great showman. Looking forward to the anime adaptation.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I want a board that's the kind of thing you get in books and newspapers and I can't find a good one on any site

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

You can get pretty close:

Yeah, that's what I've landed on and it's fine, not ideal.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Bishops can do whatever they want when the board is rotated 90 degrees.

haha that was just the first google image result, but looking at where I got it from, it turns out part of the puzzle is to figure out the board orientation and the last move by black.

rollick fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 25, 2023

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Nepo throwing away a pretty much match winning game. Must be soul destroying in the moment.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

What a plot for a WCC game.

e:

rollick fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

lol. saving a click: