Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Former world #2 Hikaru Nakamura is probably the biggest chess streamer, and will probably have his own cast. His stream is very geared towards casual players who mostly want to watch him move fast while spamming memes.
This is where I will be. Wesley So guest for day 1.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Anyone know if Naroditsky is working for Chess.com or anyone else for the World Champs? I find him and Svidler are the best at explaining super GM level play to intermediate players like me.
Danya signed a big deal with chess.com just a bit ago so I imagine he will be doing the chess.com coverage, but I'm not sure their plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

chess.com has the video feed from the arena, but they also paywall the VOD, so you have to spend 5 bucks to see what happened earlier in the day. Very annoying Danny I know you're a goon please fix.

Paywalled VOD on Twitch but not YouTube I think.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Having watched a lot of chess streams, it is apparent that Super GMs have overwritten major important parts of their brains with chess.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Redmark posted:

Maybe a dumb question: what is the purpose of the touch-move rule in OTB chess? If I had to guess I'd say it's to punish players for not thinking through their move before touching; but if you touch a piece with no legal moves, there's no penalty, which seems to avoid punishment for the arguably worse offense. Is that just because such situations are rare enough in high-level play that no one cares either way?

Same concept as why you have to put all the chips you are calling / betting / raising forward at once and not string bet in poker. Your opponent in theory could react and give away information and you should be restricted in how much you can change your action once you have done something that can provoke a reaction.

Compare:

He looks really happy I just called so I am going to push more chips and make it a raise.

He looks happy I am going to take his Knight with my Bishop instead of my Knight so let me change my mind.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2021

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The latter

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ian should give himself 20 minutes to compose himself and then come back to the board and resign tbh

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Not resigning. And still probably doesn't know about Magnus touching the Knight before moving a different piece. Rough press conference coming up.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

D34THROW posted:

Uhh, I thought that was against the rules. Whether Nepo is there or not, isn't that a rules violation? That really affects my opinion of Magnus a lot. :sigh:
Ian wasn't there to notice and call an Arbiter and it isn't the sort of thing an Arbiter can choose to step in on. I think it's a no harm no foul sort of thing since Ian wasn't there personally. But it's a controversial part of the game. Maybe if Ian was there Magnus would have made a worse move.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

One of the coolest unanswered questions is if the opening position is won for white. I think its pretty neat that nobody knows that yet.

Plenty of people know it is not a forced win for white with reasonable certainty. We don't really need the hard proof of a 32 piece tablebase to say that.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Spokes posted:

I don't really understand... most things about chess (or machines), but i'm not sure how they would arrive at this conclusion. Do you have a link or an explanation or anything i could read?

It's a combination of a ton of things. I'm a titled correspondence player, and correspondence allows engine use. We have a deadlock of draws once you get above around 2300 rating on ICCF. Anything that isn't a draw past that is due to something like a transposition error, typically. Probably lower than 2300 since NNUE.

Used to, the people who play correspondence could study engines and spend hours looking for flaws in engine play to find winning lines that the engine would misevaluate and see if other players would trust the misevaluation. But since NNUE basically everything is a draw. There just aren't serious enough flaws anymore with NNUE presuming sufficient depth/time/cpu. Even with the sharpest lines with both sides trying to win, still a draw.

Basically the only real room for improvement in engines is a lower time controls. Engines occasionally win or lose a game in blitz, and development is focused there. The idea of which engine is better is basically based on these short time controls.

One way you can see this is that in terms of engine evaluation, you pretty much need to get to +/-2 before a game isn't a draw. In practice with the best engines, chess not only is a draw with perfect play, it's usually a draw with a handful of inaccuracies or even some mistakes. So if black is still able to hold with imperfect play, the idea that white could win with perfect play becomes increasingly unlikely.

Even in human chess, a super GM who wants a draw as black knows how to park the bus and get one. To try to break through white has to basically play something dubious to get outside of theory and white ends up getting punished just as often for not accepting the drawing line. You can never get an engine into that sort of trouble.

Like in terms of prep the thing to do these days is to find these positions where the engine says only one move is good, but it is a move that a human probably won't play. You don't look for objectively winning lines, because there just aren't any. You look for the best chances to cause your human opponent to make an error.

So in short, to win a game of chess, you basically must force an error from your opponent. Everything I know of chess and engines leads to this conclusion. Which means "chess with perfect play is a draw" is not worth doubting enough that we should shy away from saying "we know chess is a draw" just because we will never be able to formally prove it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Still working on IM, but I've had CCE and CCM for a while. At this point it looks like it is a long rating grind just to get to a high enough rating that will allow me into events where all draws will be enough for an IM norm. Or someone will randomly flag or read b6 as d6 or so on.

I actually have 2 IM norms (and one SIM norm even) which is all you need, but there is a game requirement I didn't meet in the two events I overscored in. And all of my lines that would score against people just playing Stockfish's top move haven't worked since NNUE was released.

I think I will stop once I make IM. Although there are some possibilities that title requirements will change in the future. I think I would auto-promote to IM in some of the proposals.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

Do engines use opening databases or do they calculate from move 1? Are there any tournaments for 960 chess and does it even make a difference to them?

How can that happen? I assume you don't send moves in handwriting.

Engines in general do calculate form move 1. It's very common for people to provide opening books for engines to choose their moves from instead, but the strength of those moves over modern NNUE engines are possibly dubious. But then some people will generate opening books from like NNUE at depth 99. Openings are traditionally where engines are the weakest due to the horizon effect (in theory) but I think it is more just something that has been repeated for years than anything very true about about the current crop of neural net engines.

There are 960 events on ICCF. I think my 960 elo is higher than my standard elo. There likely are positions in 960 that are a forced win for white. Also maybe some that a forced loss for white? But you don't get norms or titles for 960 and so I haven't played it in a long time. I don't know how NNUE works with it. Maybe it would still be weak in the opening because the Neural Nets wouldn't have been generated with those positions in mind.

Of course being that it is centaur chess, on the human side it's common to check the database, and you can have a 960 database as well as regular correspondence database. So in a way the database is your opening book.

You can submit moves by typing in notation. But the misread would more happen from reading the engine line wrong, and then just not realizing it is actually a bad move when you see it on the board because you are just trusting the engine knows best or what have you.

Or another way it may happen would be you know you have been doing analysis on a game that has the most recent move Ra8, and you know you want to move Ra1 in response. But actually you have two games pending a move where the last move was Ra8 and you submit in the wrong game.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Redmark posted:

IMO if you blunder and you don't quickly see the problem when the engine points it out it wasn't a real blunder for your current rating.

This is honestly the beauty of chess. Just how many real skill levels there are. And how high the ceiling is.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm watching Bok and Canty on Hikaru's channel.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Apsyrtes posted:

I had no basis for that, so not sure why.
I mean he's associated with Eric Hansen, that's a reason

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The principle that let me see it really quickly is "remove the defender" because once you see the family fork threat you see the defender is the pawn. You can remove the pawn by saccing the bishop.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

think i met my first cheater, but hesitant to report them in case it’s just me being overly suspicious. anyone know what i should be looking for?

Don't be afraid of reporting. It just means they will be looked at my other eyes. You don't need to be sure, they won't ban unless they are sure, and they are the ones that know what to look for.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Spokes posted:

hikaru holy cow how you did steal a draw today

Esipenko was +10 according to Stockfish at one point.

And of course if you actually want him to personally answer your question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVa15_ucp_s

I really don't get the hate Hikaru gets from some corners like /r/chess because no one else anywhere near his strength would share this sort of analysis maybe ever let alone mid-event.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Giving his spot to Ding was proposed by someone is his Twitch Chat, and it isn't entirely out of the question. He has said that Ding is the most likely person to be able to beat Magnus for the Championship, and that Ding has been absolutely hosed by COVID in terms of being able to play in this cycle. Likewise he knows that he is unlikely to win Candidates and become the challenger. It is likely if anyone qualified drops out, the spot will be offered to Ding.

But yeah more likely he would just play.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The most annoying thing to me watching chess coverage live is chat screaming BLUNDER every time the eval bar moves a hair.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Did you calculate the variations where the rooks come off the board?

You are a pawn down, your queen is threatened by white's queen and bishop, and you know this is a puzzle. You have to move your queen or take their queen with your bishop, only candidate moves. We should look at QxQ first. They can only take back with their bishop. If they do, that bishop is hanging. Clearly winning a piece. Good. Any other queen move saving the queen look better? No. Okay, let's look at BxQ instead. BxQ, BxQ, BxR, BxR, Bxa2, Bxa7, Bxb3, Bxc5. Looks like you are still a pawn down but now it is just simplified and more probably losing. Honestly I wouldn't look that deep, I would see one looks like you win a piece and the other looks like fairly equal trades.

I have no clue what you mean by the king participating in captures in what I see here.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Baronash posted:

Just generally, do you think it's possible for a game of chess to end in mate without either player making a mistake (or what a modern chess engine would classify as a mistake)? I don't mean theoretical perfect play, but could a couple of middling chess players play a game where they're not always playing the top engine move, and those imperfections accumulate into one player being a pawn up or in an advantageous position without an engine classifying any single move as "wrong"? Or would your opponent probably be in a position to force a draw in those circumstances?

I'm a titled correspondence player on ICCF, the FIDE recognized body over international correspondence. Engine assistance is legal on ICCF.

1) I have won games where I have won where my opponent played "perfectly" according to that generation's version of stockfish, sure.

2) Stockfish has gotten much better since then with NNUE, and now it would consider some of those moves as inaccuracies at the least

3) Super GMs have a very hard time playing games without an engine finding mistakes, so middling chess players in your example it would be practically impossible in open play. Since you are saying not perfect play, like if you play with the third best move every move so long as it isn't a negative eval while any even eval is available, then yes, it would still be possible, even easy, for one side to accumulate a winning advantage. But the same engine may when doing analysis of a game from the end be able to reevaluate those moves and call some mistakes and inaccuracies in retrospect.

jiggerypokery posted:

No one really knows if perfect play is a draw because chess isn't solved. It can't ever be solved either.
I have a post earlier in the thread with my argument that I do in fact practically know that chess is a draw and why. We can't hard mathematically solve a tremendous amount of things we still colloquially "know".

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't computer chess tournaments also start from the middle game (using an opening database) specifically to force imbalanced situations
Not always, but it is common for some events to so something like start with a randomized 4 move book. I wouldn't call that the middlegame though. More to ensure diversity of openings. Engines can still have plenty of move variety starting from move 1 by UCI settings. And it isn't the case that the same engine always creates the same evaluation of the same position every game by default so in general no they don't just repeat the same game over and over again.

Very large databases of recent computer games, especially decisive ones, have always been very interesting to correspondence players. Even players on sites that don't allow engines tend to allow databases after all.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm curious for Hikaru's take because in the past he has been negative towards NFTs.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

His results are easily consistent with his strength. The games were NOT to boost his rating into the qualification spot, but rather to get him the requisite number of recent games needed since he hadn't been able to play because of Covid travel restrictions. Which itself was a dumb requirement considering the situation.

Also Hikaru wasn't going to qualify for the Grand Prix also because of recent activity requirements, and for him that requirement was basically waived by getting the President's invitation spot. And he proved he deserved it despite the pandemic inactivity by winning the event.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm excited personally because Hikaru seems to be in good form and I would love for him to become challenger. Or even World Champ if Magnus actually doesn't defend. I think it's poo poo that Karjakin had his spot taken from him, but really I'm glad Ding is getting the spot.

Alireza is worth being excited to see because he briefly made it world no 2, but he did so on the backs of competition much less skilled than what he will face at the Candidates. I predict he will be second to last in the field when all is said and done. But then plenty of other people think he is the outright favorite. I do think he is a future World Champ but I think he needs more seat time against Super GMs.

I'll miss Levon and Shak for sure.

I think the last candidates getting split in two because of the pandemic was really rough, but I was pretty excited for the one before that.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ding is officially in now, yeah? But is it confirmed he was able to make travel arrangements? That was what killed him being in the Grand Prix after all.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

busalover posted:

The worst thing about Hikaru streams is his music. Holy poo poo I wish every day he would get DMCA-striked. So bad.

I love the playlist, but if you don't, watch the vod instead of live and you won't have the music. That's also why he doesn't get DMCA-stricked, only the live stream has it mixed in. The DMCA bots scrape VODs/clips.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wait they drew? I'm laser focused on the Hikaru game but I thought Rapport was like +9?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah when I finally looked at the game with my engine I couldn't find where in the world any engine would give it +9

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Crazy game yeah. I could see Nepo imploding more than Fabi so Hikaru vs Fabi could be possible. Considering they traded wins here that would be a pretty interesting match.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think it's possible, maybe likely, that the next WC match will be Nepo vs Fabi and I think it will be interesting and entertaining chess.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hikaru called today in November 2021! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl85Gdq8-WM&t=22s

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Magnus met with the FIDE President reportedly saying he will only play if FIDE agrees to format changes. What are those changes? We don't know, but Magnus had in the past said the WCC should incorporate multiple time controls. Giri, who spoke to Magnus after the meeting, said he thought it was 60% likely Magnus would not play. I take that to mean he thinks FIDE is 40% likely to agree.

So today's game for 2nd has a real chance to mean something. I like Hikaru and Ding so I would enjoy Ian versus either, but certainly I think with Hikaru's success in finding an audience on YouTube and Twitch, he would be the most exciting opponent. 🌻🍍🌻

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hikaru said this morning that he thinks Magnus would have played if he was in 2nd.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

There's something pretty cool about seeing just how far humans can push perfection in playing 1 game of chess with maximum concentration and time.

Yes, but watching it live is really boring when instead you can just watch a recap later. I don't think classical should die, but if chess is going to draw more money from sponsors, it needs to be more entertaining, and rapid/blitz/bullet are way more palatable as live content.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

You are going to have chatrooms full of people yelling BLUNDER at every slight inaccuracy anyway though.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

do you really think most super gms can give a basic coherent analysis of their own games without stockfish?

Yes, they can. You can in fact watch the interviews of the other people in this very competition and there is a marked difference.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think it is worth remembering that people who traditionally severely dislike one on another, which includes Hikaru and Magnus or Hikaru and Eric Hansen are all agreeing here basically.

Is there a chance that they are all paranoid GMs that wrongly see his recent rise in strength as suspect because of their own bias due to having known about the cheating on chess.com? Yes.

But those interviews are imo incredibly damning to that theory.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

nrook posted:

I’ve seen some people theorizing that maybe Carlsen thinks Hans stole his prep. This doesn’t really make sense to me (and as far as I know nobody beyond random Redditors is suggesting it), but it got me wondering; why would that be unethical, anyway? It seems to me that if players don’t want their prep stolen, they can always just do it themselves.
0 chance the response would have been a 15 minute stream delay if anyone thought that.

Also in terms of what people think, probably worth pointing out that STL Chess Club retweeted Hikaru promoting his edited video of his stream yesterday. Pretty much a subtle co-sign.

Chromatics posted:

Is a super-GM getting incorrectly banned on chess.com a thing that happens routinely?
They don't actually go forward with a ban unless they are willing to go to court. Also generally when someone gets a six-month ban from money competitions, that also means they privately admitted to the cheating. If they don't admit they don't ever get let back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Obviously he did go to the organizers, which is why they implemented harsher security and the 15 minute delay.