Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Teddybear posted:

Every time that Carlsen puts the title up, I say "boy, this is the time I get really into chess and give it a go," and then I never actually end up doing it. This time... maybe.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to be a chess spectator. I haven't actually enjoyed playing chess for a long time but I still watch it every opportunity I can. The process of studying and working to try to improve just isn't fun for me and, as a hobby, I think that's fine. I'm sure my playing is a lot lot worse than what it used to be but it doesn't matter because that's not what I enjoy about chess.

A lot of people watch a lot of other sports/things without participating themselves and that's a-okay.

silvergoose posted:

I mean, it's what they've done for a long time.

Furthermore, it's literally their job and they are also literally the best in the world at it.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Endgames are incredibly difficult and Carlsen once again shows he's an absolute master at them.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I noticed in the post game interview after game 9 that Nepo first commented that he thought his position was, paraphrased, maybe not crushing but very good before The Blunder but then after Carlsen commented that he thought it was slightly better for white/drawish even after dropping a pawn, Nepo said "okay maybe it wasn't as good as I had stated" which really said it all to me. I think he's completely lost all confidence in his play and has already acknowledged Carlsen as just the better player (which he is) and basically given up on the match, but can anyone really blame him?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Magnus has 74 more Elo points than Ian. That implies an expected score of 0.6 per game, which over a 14 game match is a pretty solid favorite. In my opinion it's not an otherwise-even match where one guy just happened to crack under the pressure, it's that Magnus really is significantly, measurably better than everybody else. Good on Ian for fighting his hardest. I'm not sure anyone else could have done better.

In a couple years though? We'll see. Firouzja is a walking buzz saw.

Of course, but I don't think you can, or that Nepo, went into the match thinking "meh, I already lost." He knows, obviously, what he's up against but it's not a defeatist attitude that you go into a world championship match with.

That's what I'm saying changed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
err nvm

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
The ol' "I can't believe I just got that loving lucky" headshake.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

silvergoose posted:

So, dubov huh

Nobody could have seen this coming.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hand Knit posted:

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you:

https://lichess.org/GXfvx5aWkbTv

Scamming the KBN v K endgame by hitting the 50 move draw one move before mate.

A work of beauty.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

algebra testes posted:

I liked that puzzle.

These long mating lines are just so much fun.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't understand why it's necessary to have a single champion for every format. Classical, rapid, and blitz have different required skills (I mean, not THAT different) and so why not have different champions for each format?

I think you can draw a pretty good comparison to cricket. Test cricket is a thing that only people who really like cricket would get into but one-day or 20/20 is much more accessible to the general public. Similarly, not everyone can really get into classical games but rapid or blitz are a lot more accessible. That seems fine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hand Knit posted:

1.b5 axb5 2.a5 b4 3.a6 Bxa6 4.Nxa6 and black has a number of ways to win white's last pawn like 4... b3 5.Nc5 b2 6.Nd3+ Ke4 7.Nxb2 Kxd4

So then clearly b5 is not the winning move... plus it's the obvious move. I think white needs to be forcing here. One of the things I always try to do is reverse move orders and see if that changes anything and here I think it does. After a5, black is in some trouble because b5 is coming and I don't think black has a good way out of that if white doesn't misplay. But there's 0% chance I'd have played that over the board.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 30, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Listening to GM post-game interviews is like "Well when he played <move>, I thought about <6-move line> but then decided that it was bad because <another 4 moves> and now <strategic analysis> so instead I decided that <10 move line> was better" and it's just mind boggling.

Their chess recollection is on a different level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC1BAcOzHyY

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Just from that clip of his interview.. maybe he's just an awkward guy but I really can't imagine getting to 2600+ without being able to just rattle off a handful of moves with a board in front of you from a game you've just played.

"I don't even need to show variations" what the gently caress dude.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
How many people actually play the good line against the Baltic and how many just go huh?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Pretty sure the good line is something like ... Bf5 cxd5 Bxb1 Qa4+ c6 Rxb1

I'm sure there's more.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Magnus doesn't have any obligation to defend his title if he doesn't want to. And given how badly he trounced Nepomniachtchi last time and how much actual work it is to play a world championship match, I don't necessarily blame him. It's hardly "sabotaging" - vacating a title is pretty accepted in other sports like boxing.

As far as his cheating goes.. I'm going to say a little kibitzing an idea he likely would have seen soon enough anyway, for an online tournament with a tiny prize pool that happens every other week, while on stream, that he won handily, is a little bit different from an in-person OTB annual tournament with a 350k prize pool. Carlsen also regularly won the TA and has given half or something of his winnings back to lichess. It's really not similar at all.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 8, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Rxg7

If ... Kh8
Qh6#

If ... Kxg7
Bb3+ Kg8
Bh7+ Kxh7
Qf7+ Kh6
Qg7#

Of course black can delay by blocking with rook or queen but obviously doesn't change anything

Extra pieces don't mean much if they're sitting in the corner doing nothing!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You know, Nieman is clearly a very strong player. I don't think anyone doubts that. But when it comes to cheating, you don't necessarily even need for the computer to tell you what to do; just the fact that SOMETHING is there is often times a big enough hint. Look at puzzle positions - especially in the more difficult puzzles, it's sometimes only because it's a puzzle that the answer gets found, whereas you might play a much more natural move OTB. You could get a signal that there's a big advantage you could gain on the next move, or that it's a dangerous position where maybe natural moves are traps, or that the opponent just blundered, etc.

Cheating doesn't have to mean the computer feeding you every move. It can be much more subtle and that much more difficult to detect.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 20, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Not that it's not dirty, but there's also a big difference between cheating when you're just some rando who got frustrated at losing and when you're a loving GM (or IM or whatever highly rated player).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Regarding people who just want Magnus to come out and say things clearly, here's a relevant video from RSA about Language as a Window into Human Nature which I think is very relevant and topical to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-son3EJTrU

Also, obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Stick 'em in a Faraday Cage

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
FYI here is Niemann's rating history:

FIDE
https://ratings.fide.com/profile/2093596/chart

USCF
http://www.uschess.org/datapage/ratings_graph.php?memid=15041466

Tournament History:
http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?15041466.1

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 22, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Would a faraday cage do anything if there's no signal getting sent outside the box, because the cheater is smuggling a computer on their person? I feel like you could make a computer small enough that machines can't detect it, and if you only use it 2 or 3 times a game then whatever behavior you do to activate it (tapping your foot, rubbing your scalp) won't be caught.

At some point in the course of human progress we're going to run into an Oscar Pistorius situation where someone with a traumatic brain injury gets a computer plugged into their noggin and they just run Stockfish on it.

Presumably you would also scan their persons for electronics. X-ray their shoes, stuff like that. Aronian said if they gave 5% of their attention to it, they could eliminate it and I think he's right. He also said to remove the incentive or the temptation but I'm not sure that that's ever possible.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

qsvui posted:

This is completely irrelevant to anything, but I remember a pro CS:GO player got VAC banned in the middle of a match. The thought of an arbiter stopping a chess game in progress and letting a player know that they've been banned for cheating gave me a light chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z-kmSF5Qxk

This? Or maybe also this.

Maybe this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meb8T-9hGc8

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 23, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Starting to feel like this is criminal court vs. civil court.

Is there enough evidence to send Niemann to the metaphorical slammer? Maybe not. But enough to find him guilty in civil court and pay a big penalty (i.e. chess career is over)? Yeah, I think so.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
People really bending over backwards to defend an ADMITTED CHEATER against the world champion because somehow the world champion has a grudge against an ADMITTED CHEATER or is salty he lost or something.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

qsvui posted:

he deffo is salty he lost, have you only been following chess this year

i also play the sicilian against e4 :evilbuddy:

I'm saying people think Carlsen is doing all of this because he's mad he lost, not because he thinks he had to play a cheater. Carlsen could have lost against any of the other players in the Sinquefield and would have been mad at himself sure, but 0% chance any of this happens with anyone but Niemann.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm willing to bet that there isn't anyone in this thread that knows more about chess engines and related topics than Sub Rosa.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

uPen posted:

It's not a great sign for them that their methods for catching cheaters are so flimsy that knowing how they do it invalidates the method.

Of all the dumb (imo) things posted about this stuff recently, this has got to take the cake.

As for false accusations.. Bystanders can be quick to throw out accusations but professional organizations and companies are generally very shy to level accusations of cheating because, well, you can see the furor that happens.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

qsvui posted:

This just does not help my view of chess.com being a scummy and bad web site. Why would Carlsen leaving cause them to "reassess"? Is the answer in the 70 page report that I'm not going to read?

The reigning (or is it considered vacated already?) World Champion just withdrew from a tournament (which is a very strong statement in and of itself) after playing a game against someone we know to have cheated on our website before, citing suspicion of cheating.

Gee, I guess we'll just let a known cheater keep playing in our big tournament!

If any of the other players withdrew and basically said "Yeah, I'm not playing against that cheater," it would be pretty unfathomable for chess.com to go "meh, it's fine."

Also, did you SEE his post-game 2 interview? It was terrible. His analysis of the game HE JUST PLAYED where he just beat the world champion (who does stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXwdoRG43U) with the black pieces was terrible. The interviewer knew the game better than he did.

Chess.com went out of their way to repeatedly say that they are not casting any accusations of Hans cheating OTB in any game. jfc

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 5, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

qsvui posted:

You're getting your timelines mixed up. Hans was banned before Magnus made any statement or public comment about Hans' cheating, besides his "tee hee" tweet which was so vague that he could deny having made any accusation. The first time we learned of Hans' ban was in his interview after playing Dominguez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJZuT-_kij0

I have not gotten any of my timelines mixed up.

cheetah7071 posted:

like, the people who handle cheating at chess.com are the most informed people in the world on the extent of Niemann's cheating, with the possible exception of the FIDE people working on their own report on the topic. It'd be far weirder if they didn't weigh in, and anything less than all the evidence they have would just be irresponsible, so it's 72 pages long

It's more like a couple pages introduction and another page or two rehashing the current situation before getting into any actual reporting, then it's 50 pages of charts and graphs. Which is pretty normal.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

dex_sda posted:

chess.com applied their regular methods to OTB games, but they were unable to get anything conclusive, partly since they don't have some data they are privy to on their platform (tabbing away, move times).

*ducks head under table for 20 seconds during OTB game* sorry I was just alt tabbing to check my email

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

tractor fanatic posted:

I think Chess.com is reliable enough that you can trust their statistical analysis is good, but it largely just confirms stuff we already knew. I suspect Strength Score is probably very similar to the metric Ken Regan uses, i.e. it ignores openings, forcing moves, etc

I think they literally cover this in one of the earlier sections of the report where they say they analyze moves past the opening and discard simple/known endgames. It may not have been referring to strength score but they did say that about something.

Also, a lot of their analysis is comparative which I think mitigates some possible bias they may have in their statistical analysis. Not completely, if their analysis is flawed, but it should help. Not to mention that they clearly point out that some of their analysis points towards Hans NOT cheating according to that metric.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 5, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think the whole thing puts both the suspected cheater and chess.com between a rock and a hard place.

If you're suspected of cheating and suspended by chess.com, you have to either confess to something you didn't do to get reinstated or I guess get banned (make a new account?) neither of which are great, are they.

Chess.com on the other hand, they think you're cheating. In cases where it's not obvious like a 1200 suddenly playing top stockfish lines, what are you to do? You have strong statistical evidence they're cheating but they insist they are not. Well.. now what? Do you just take them at their word, even though "I'm not cheating" is basically implied at all times anyway and their explicit statement is basically meaningless? If you accept it then you're letting through someone you are pretty positive is cheating and probably given their efforts in cheat detection, they're probably right much more than they're wrong. On the other hand, how do you go about PROVING they cheated if they deny it while not relying on your cheat detection? Do you get someone to go through their games one by one? That's obviously not feasible either.

So.. what should they do?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hans also played the second lowest rated player and it looks like Aronian (who played the lowest with the black pieces) just didn't want to play and they drew in the opening after 17 moves.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Tom sold myspace for 580 million dollars so uhh, people are happy to pay way too much for poo poo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Faust IX posted:

Money changes everything, and Chess.com acquiring Play Magnus Group/etc. kind of casts, you know, reasonable doubt as to whether or not there is a conflict of intest in the form of that $82.9 Million buyout. If my star who I just paid over EIGHTY MILLION DOLLARS for in their branding decides to be, for lack of a better term, butthurt over taking a 19 year old for a chump and not admitting to himself that, you know, he could have legitimately just hosed up, and then refuses to play in any matches with said person, throwing off an entire tournament bracket...

Well, of course you'd want to try and save face, even if you don't have the balls to tell your star player you bought that they should stop that poo poo, because it could be bad for business.

I have nothing but respect for Niemann for taking this and running with it, and kind of making a really good point: it's a game that speaks for itself. There are only 169,518,829,100,544,000,000,000,000,000 ways to play the first ten moves of a game of chess, and you literally have to think like a supercomputer to figure out the pattern as it's going along. It is entirely humanly possible for this to happen, because even if you are studying the board, the opposing player, and attempting to get into their head and plan 5 moves ahead, they're doing the same.

What I'm saying is Magnus Carlsen operating in assembly while Hans Niemann is in C, C#, C++, or any modern day form of coding/computing, and the human brain is nothing but a biological supercomputer to people like these. Hans is just operating on a newer model.

Dude looks, acts, and sounds like a savant who probably has an account here, even.

Edit: Just to have a small silly side note. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTaFuBJ2h1E

Someone tried to go and remake the beads. Enjoy.

A savant, lol. A savant that suggests an obvious tactical blunder in a post game interview about the game he just beat the world champion in, with the black pieces no less, followed immediately by asking what the computer says about his move. Definitely a savant.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Poisoned Rook Variation :D

Material isn't everything. Sure it helps, but that's why gambits and the like exist because you get compensation for your material sacrifice in the form of a stronger position / development. I think this position is a really good example as Hand Knit points out the various ways black can try to get compensation for the rook.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Lack of evidence for A is not evidence that A is not true. In this case, A is cheating OTB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I didn't know about the Twitter thing. Did Nakamura a drop a n-a please in dms? Yikes