Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Who might be the best but also kid friendliest in terms of language? I kinda want to put it on, but also don't want to traumatize my 3 and 6 year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The bishop pair is kinda pointed directly at...nothing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean, it's what they've done for a long time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ooh d5 e5 this is a very sharp position

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yup. Funny how that works sometimes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ooh Petrov

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I legit cheered a little with that first pawn move to make sure there wasn't a draw by moves without pawns or captures.

Hot drat, what a game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

...what is h5 for?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zugzwang is a term I love to apply to everything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

I don't think I understand this Lichess puzzle, possibly because I've only recently managed to work my way this far up (~1900) in my puzzle rating. Materially the solution boils down to "you win a pawn", but it's a full 5.0 points worth of eval at the default depth. What endgame principle am I missing?

Two pawns (after the king moves, you get another) and end up with a passed pawn.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Same

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So, dubov huh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Macnult posted:

just broke 1000 in rapid with a nice little pawn promotion checkmate :3:

Coulda promoted to rook for a bit of flair!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Artelier posted:

Chess can be so deflating sometimes, even when you win. I just had a game where I won a Knight, Bishop, and a Rook for my Knight, and the post-game analysis the computer was like ??? you had forced mate!!

There's also the fact that, if you're in no danger of losing, it doesn't matter one way or another. Who cares if you win enough material to guarantee a longer victory vs winning earlier? Goal is the same and result is the same.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

if we include shogi, there's a couple great manga/anime. Shion no O and March Comes In Like a Lion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Since stage musicals definitely count as a "show", there's an obvious one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_(musical)

It's a Cold War musical character drama about a world chess championship. A couple of notes in case you're thinking of looking it up: 1) it helps if you like 80s music because it can get extremely 80s, and 2) you probably want the original London production, not the Broadway one. (You want the black album cover with the blowing-away chessboard, not the white one with the flags.)

Agreed on all counts. I got to play in the pit for this once, and it was incredibly fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

See that lovely rook that now has nowhere to go and nothing that can move to protect it? The white queen can move to the noted spaces to capture it, also letting the bishop out to attack the pinned knight

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Goddamn

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bh3, yeah? if captured queen checks and then mate, otherwise the rook can take on g2 or bishop can I'm pretty sure it's good

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You cannot make a move that results in your king being on a square targeted by an enemy piece, under any circumstances. If you have no legal moves because of that, either you're checkmated (if currently in check), or stalemated (if not).

No exceptions to that one!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

okay yeah that's very fun :3: (edited because I still can't loving remember to use the right square letters for black)

Qe7+ Kd3 Bf5+ Kxd5 O-O-O#

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 17, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dex_sda posted:

duck chess is a better game than regular chess change my view

a lot of chess games are better than regular chess, see also: shogi

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Are you preloading a move here? How is it white's move when the rook has the king in check?

Took a pawn, pretty clearly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Off topic but you folks seem like the ones to know : is there a shogi thread or anybody around here who plays shogi? I'm thinking about getting into it beyond the knows-the-rules level of play, and cool goon friends would be cool.

Any time I want to post about shogi or xiangqi I do it here, so I'd say not off topic at all!

I love shogi. Don't play a huge amount, but I probably got up past beginner skill at one point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stratego still holds up yeah, one of the classics that isn't pretty awful as a game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

think it's Nxh7 Rxh7 Qf8#, and if they don't capture, discover check then mate

edit: line goes a little longer, Nxh7 Kg8 Nf6+ Kf8 Qh8+ Ke7 Qe8#

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 19, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

neaden posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenShahade/status/1625873098581983232?t=SddwbB1jY1KtQFbTt938Aw&s=19 GM Alejandro Ramirez is apparently under investigation for multiple acts of sexual misconduct including with minors and assaulting Jenn Shahade. He's currently the head coach for the Saint Louis university chess team. Based on what I've seen on Twitter a lot of people were aware of rumors around him so it seems like it was a bit of an open secret which makes it hard to see how he was allowed to continue as a coach.

same way it happens in all sorts of areas/groups. No one does anything about it, just warns people quietly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

okay this one is pure and good

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

kalensc posted:

I love how Steiner Math can appear in 3/4 of my bookmarked threads across all sorts of sub-forums.

Might be an underestimation, yeah. Good stuff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

I can't even evaluate the position because I hate it so much

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

kumba posted:

..is that a meme i don't understand

did this thread suddenly become anarchy chess

Rotate the board, and assume black just pushed the pawn that's next to the white king two spaces. En passant capture!

You assume that because no other black move was legal.

You assume the rotation because that's the only way to let white have a mate in one

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 25, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah sorry by assume I kinda meant "in order to solve, assume x and disprove it until there's only one x, or maybe you got it right the first time in which case you're pretty close to done"

But yeah, rigorous solutions are great!

Reminds me of a book of retrograde chess story puzzles I once read.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

helllll yeah

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Anias posted:

It’s not infeasible, people are just emotionally invested in the drama instead of wanting to organize, play, and then write and read about good chess games. The tcec pdf is great and certainly better than any of the ding/nepo stuff.

Completely understandable that Magnus said “no thanks”.

As a spectacle, this wc delivered. Clearly no complaints about it on pure sports writer storylines. Clearly no complaints on celebrity gossip headlines. It was fine as a FIDE event. It still was disappointing chess. These two ideas aren’t at odds with each other.

The chess may have been disappointing to you personally, but I would shy away from saying it was disappointing on an intrinsic level.

totalnewbie posted:

Chinese chess :)

Xiangqi yes please

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If you want new poo poo, look up paco sako, it's wild.

In brief, instead of capturing you hug, and if the piece you're hugging already had one of your pieces in a hug, you dislodge the old one which gets to move...and potentially start a new hug.

Game ends when you hug your opponents king. Can have absolutely ridiculous combo puzzles.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I adore that musical, I played in the pit. The music is just perfectly cheesy and ridiculous.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

My favorite song in it is Nobody's Side.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

what the *gently caress* FIDE

https://www.erininthemorning.com/p/international-chess-org-trans-women

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

He likes to negotiate mutual rights to promote pawns, maybe he'll be world champ of Diplomacy, and may God have mercy on his soul.

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant would be right up his alley it sounds like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

In a tournament, I'd guess they'd say gg draw, you say no, they say I have no legal moves, you call over a tourney organizer, and they either say "not stalemate" or tell them what the move is.

In any other context obviously just tell them ofc