Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of want to nominate Alfred Hitchcock straight up. He's only got 2 horrors listed on Letterboxd and when we tried to determine how many of his films counted last year we only had 5. But he's got 30 thrillers. And I feel like I've seen so many thrillers that don't strike me as horror at all get nominated that being picky with Hitchcock feels like punishing him for his success. Like we'd let it one director with 1 or 2 films or a director who just needs a couple of thrillers to meet the number. But the Master of Suspense is kept out?

So yeah, nominating Alfred Hitchcock with like 30 films. He still has to be voted on to make the tournament.

I do feel we should put Hitchcock in the rosters. Yeah, The Birds and Psycho are his big horrors, but he does have thrillers that are horror adjacent along with we have counted thrillers in the October Challenge.

Just off the top of my head it'd be something like:

1) Psycho
2) The Birds
3) Rear Window
4) Trouble with Harry (horror comedy)
5) Rope
6) Frenzy
7) Dial M for Murder
8) Rebecca
9) The Lodger: A story of the London Fog
10) Stage Fright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Servoret posted:

I think Shadow of a Doubt deserves a slot on the list. It’s a serial killer thriller with some chilling sociopathic moments with Joseph Cotten’s character. Strangers on a Train deserves a look too. Another creepy sociopath movie. I think both of them belong ahead of Dial M for Murder and maybe Stage Fright if space is a consideration.

I was just going off the top of my head with a list since I'm generally horrible at it since I get 'oooh what about that one?!' syndrome and end up with the next problem of having to cut something off the list and I'm even more horrible with that.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'm liking the extra day, having Friday afternoon/evening to finish up a movie or two that I couldn't get to during the week has been a big help so far.

With how crazy my work schedule's been (Thanks Spiderman), the extra day's been appreciated.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I loved this and Dawn of the Dead when I was younger and watched them both a ton but a year or two ago I watched Dawn again and just found it way too mean for me.

Since this is the first time I've heard Dawn described as mean, I'm really curious on how and where. You've already got me putting it on rewatch, so I'd love to hear your perspective before going in.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I missed this because I was doing the new round. For the record I was talking about Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, not the original Romero. It was written by James Gunn hence why I put it in the same category as Slither. When I was younger I loved both films and watched them dozens of times. Recently I revisited Dawn and just felt it too mean and misanthropic for me, so I was worried Slither would feel the same way. It was a tiny bit but not as much. The different collaborators and directors probably played into that. Gunn is more playful than Snyder and Snyder has his own stuff I don't like. And you've got comedians like Fillion and Banks in play. So they're very different movies.

As for why I find Dawn mean, I feel like that's kind of self explanatory and my guess is you thought I was talking about Romero's... which I don't think I'd ever call "mean." Hell its probably the least mean of his Dead films. But the remake is harsh. Everyone's got an edge, everyone's jaded, everyone's basically taking thrill in puling the trigger, and the narrative is just an unrelenting pace of brutality and bad endings. It was just too much for me when I rewatched it probably 2 years ago. Maybe that's me getting old. Maybe that was watching it in the middle of a pandemic and all these rough times when we're all kind of beat down and I'm just generally tired of how mean everyone is. I dunno. But luckily Slither didn't have the same impact on me, although I'm not itching to rewatch it.

I knew you were talking the Snyder one. You do make some interesting points, so I'll keep those in mind while doing a comparison rewatch.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

I often forget to open Discord for weeks at a time but I love the folks in the Discord. I also often vote without posting any thoughts because I have ADHD and writing up my thoughts sometimes feels too much like "work" so I just don't do it. But this is the first thread I check for new posts whenever I open SA, so I'm here in the shadows :sax:

I just open Discord for the Scream Stream at this point. I have too much going on to add Discord unless I've specifically time budgeted for it. I also don't post thoughts here even though I regularly vote because I do so many reviews for the May and October Challenges that I'd put myself into a deja vu situation of 'did I review this for a previous challenge or not?'. The rest of my posting's dependent on how busy work is. Case in point, we were prepared for the Sonic 2 insanity, but the mad rush over the two A24 films we've got completely blindsided us.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Samfucius posted:

I have to wonder what happened with the special effects. With Savini at the helm you'd expect a showcase if nothing else, but everything looked grey and floppy.

From what I remember of interviews at the time, they were mindful of the nitpicks about the 'blue' zombies in Dawn so the effects guys worked off actual corpse photos to aim for something more realistic.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

married but discreet posted:

The Hunger is cool as hell tho so who knows.

It introduced me to Bauhaus, so major points with me on that one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

More often than not I find myself on STAC's end of things, where I just love that comfortable spooky horror that I grew up with. Give me some fog, some spiders webs, a vampire or a werewolf, and a Vincent Price/Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee/Boris Karloff/Donald Pleasance and I'm happy.

Same here. I don't know if it's an age thing or what, but I've found that I tend to just go back to the stuff I watched when I was younger more often than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Thanks again for doing this GOAT. It's always fun and fascinating to see the various stats and all. Congrats to twernt, I can't put together a team to save my rear so I celebrate your skill.

Samfucius posted:

You don't know how many well-meaning friends and family have regretted asking what I've been up to when I started explaining this really fun horror movie tournament I've been doing with internet strangers.

Since I'm now my friends and co-workers all being into movies to varying degrees, they think this and the October Challenge/Scream Stream sound awesome. As my family goes with how insane we are with movies, I'm called a slacker for not watching more.