Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

this is more of a collector's thread but since the forum staff decided to delete that subforum i figured this was as good a place as any for this. post your TG related collections here! show me your games/books/etc that are vintage or notable for one reason or another (basically not just ikea shelves full of currently in-print boardgames)

i just got my hands on a copy of City of Chaos from 1996 (unfortunately not including the pewter minis) and broke it out this evening for the first time. it's a weird fiction style story based dungeon crawl unlike anything i've played before and so far i'm enjoying it. still remains to be seen how good of a "game" this is, from what i can tell it's a lot closer to a gamebook with boardgame type components so far.

(i'm using minis from CMONs cthulhu death may die since i don't have the pewter ones yet)

most of my collection is centered around dungeon crawler games and i have a few more that i'll post later. in the meantime post cool stuff from your collection and tell me what weird & rare games you've enjoyed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is a good thread to have; I'll just note that the collectible trading cards thread from the collector sub was also moved to TG: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981893

I don't exactly "collect" vintage and collectible games, but I've got some stuff! Probably the most classic is HeroQuest, but I've also got some old stuff:

Titan!
(All images copied off of boardgamegeek)

This 1980 cardboard chit game is weird as heck, and I love it. You make little armies of monsters by stacking up the little chits

and moving around on this bizarre "map"

and then whenever your armies fight, you move all the chits onto a battle map specific to the terrain type of the hex you are in on the main map. For example:

Despite that, since you only ever need the main map and one side map at a time, you can actually play in a pretty small space:

The game's rules are a bit too complex and wordy and so it takes a while to learn to play and nobody ever wants to play it because it's crusty and old, but it's still a cool game and I'll never get rid of my copy.

My other super old weird game is Wizard's Quest:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/310/wizards-quest
This 1979 game is another cardboard-chits-on-a-map type thing

You capture territory and do battle with hordes of orcs and maybe sometimes your opponents, but also a wizard makes you do poo poo for him and enforces peace in a territory, and there's special treasures you try to collect that... do stuff... as well as let you win... look, OK I haven't played it. Just read the description I guess. It's cool though.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

work has been killing me this week so i'm still working through my city of chaos first session. my first turn i was cursed by an oni and sent back in time to the starting tile with no items or equipment. really set the tone for how this might go.

i'll work up a playthrough of how it went and do the next game from my collection after i finish it.

my current collection is:

dungeon! (1975)
cyborg: the ultimate adventure game (1978)
sorcerer's cave (1978)
magic realm (1978)
cavern's deep (1980)
dungeonquest (1987)
heroquest (1989)
dragon strike (1993) - with the vhs tape of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1_IHliRhI
warhammer quest (1995)
city of chaos (1996)

i also have a some newer dungeon crawlers like secrets of the lost tomb (2016) and dungeon degenerates (2017) which are fantastic games but not particularly collectible (yet)

anyone that wants to see a breakdown/playthrough of a particular game from this list let me know

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

so many of these avalon hill games look really similar. the only one i've got is magic realm (which i haven't actually played yet). how similar are these classic hex based games?

edit:feel free to fix the thread tag to whatever you feel is most appropriate (or leave it the same)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the Classic tag fits!

These old games tend to be quite different, in that there were virtually no standards imposed on them and each author had their own design sensibilities: but also quite similar, in that production values were about the same (low) and a lot of advancements in game mechanics that we take for granted these days just hadn't been made yet.

For example, one thing I appreciate about modern games is the move away from setups where one or more players are eliminated, but the game continues for a long time. It sucks having your friends have to sit out for an hour or more as a spectator.

But I find surprises in these old games too. Weird funky mechanics that I've never seen elsewhere. If you can find players willing to give them a shot, they're often worth it. The biggest obstacle is the impenetrable rulebook in tiny type with too many pages. Finding a video that actually explains how to play is a good idea.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

jarofpiss posted:

work has been killing me this week so i'm still working through my city of chaos first session. my first turn i was cursed by an oni and sent back in time to the starting tile with no items or equipment. really set the tone for how this might go.

i'll work up a playthrough of how it went and do the next game from my collection after i finish it.

my current collection is:

dungeon! (1975)
cyborg: the ultimate adventure game (1978)
sorcerer's cave (1978)
magic realm (1978)
cavern's deep (1980)
dungeonquest (1987)
heroquest (1989)
dragon strike (1993) - with the vhs tape of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1_IHliRhI
warhammer quest (1995)
city of chaos (1996)

i also have a some newer dungeon crawlers like secrets of the lost tomb (2016) and dungeon degenerates (2017) which are fantastic games but not particularly collectible (yet)

anyone that wants to see a breakdown/playthrough of a particular game from this list let me know

My dad collected a lot of games in the late 70's, so I remember many of these. Especially Sorcerer's Cave, I played it solo as a kid and it was... weird, but also a good time. Bonus fact: the random cave card draws means that it's possible to draw impossible caves where you get stuck. We still have that box in our vacation house.

One day I'll be facing the sad task of sorting out all those old boxed games and RPGs and see what's worth keeping, selling or just throwing away.

That said, among all the chit games in his stash, my favourites by far was the Cry Havoc range. I'm pretty sure he has the entire set. Each soldier has two chits, so you keep track of wounds etc by turning them around. The knigths would even have double that, one mounted set and one when dismounted. The illustrations were just top notch. In addition to the original medieval England set there's a feudal Japan one, which I think was my favourite. Outremer, which covers fighting in the crusades, was also great. There's a Viking version and a special Siege box as well.

I pretty much solo gamed every single scenario in those boxed games.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1323/cry-havoc

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 4, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I played a ton of Titan in high school, and I’ve played it a few times since with my kid and a friend or two of hers. Pretty RNG-dominated, but I have fond memories.

My copy of the same era as yours got badly damaged in a move (crushed plus water, yikes) so I have one of the newer reprints now.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

no gameplays because i've been playing nothing but kdm lately but i did pick up a copy of 1992s Dragon Quest yesterday

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Necroposting to say that, esp. re: dungeon crawlers, I've been super interested in going back to both Magic Realm and Talisman (1st Edition/2nd Edition, and expansions) lately, for reasons somewhat mysterious even to myself. I'm sure nostalgia's a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Weird to hear Titan called crusty and old given that it’s still a tournament game and was last reprinted in like the mid 2000s. Probably due for another reprint but it has things like player elimination so it’ll be a hard sell.

My older games are Strategos (easier to understand if we call it a US Kriegspiel). I have them in book form from the 1800s but they’re available via google books now:

Volume 1: https://books.google.com/books/abou...epage&q&f=false

Volume 2: https://books.google.com/books/abou...epage&q&f=false

Also have a whole host of games I wish saw a reprint:

Gunslinger is one of the most fascinating games. You play 2 seconds at a time. It feels sort of like Michael Korns’ Modern War in Miniature: https://dondueck.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/michael-f-korns-modern-war-in-miniature.pdf in that it’s basically a hidden movement game.

All of these tend to factor in to Braunstein and what would become the content that Dave Wesley was pulling on from his rediscovery of Strategos and the games he ran for the Twin Cities crew that Arneson eventually began running.

Wesley is responsible for Source of the Nile which is also a super unique game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1577/source-nile

It’s only recently that Source of the Nile was used as inspiration for Rocky Mountain Man and I’m hoping Wesley gets a bit more celebrity given he did most of the work that Arneson would run with and eventually introduce to Gygax.

Rocky Mountain Man: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/324670/rocky-mountain-man (Personally, I think Nate Hayden is one of the most interesting designers at the moment).